Surprises on the food scale.

Options
Limath
Limath Posts: 89 Member
I just shredded and weighed my red potatoes for hash-browns this morning, and was pleasantly surprised by the amount 148 grams (1 serving, per the bag) came out to be. I've had let downs before too....

Has any one else had any surprises when weighing your food - good or bad?

Replies

• cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    yep some are good, I'm like wow that is more than I thought it would be... but the bigger surprise when I decided to use some leftover steak in an omelet and I thought well just an ounce... holy cow that is like 4 bites! I cut it up smaller and it was more than enough but that's not the point. I have found it is really important not to guess but to take that extra time to measure/wt. it all!
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Loads... Both pleasantly surprising and unpleasantly surprising! Weighing is the only way to really keep a track of what you are eating! I bought some cups like you use in the US, but found differences with all on the scale, when I compared.... Different cup sizes perhaps!:ohwell:
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Most of the time when I weigh food it weighs a bit more than the stated weight on the package. A few times the food has weighed exactly what it was supposed to weigh. And only ONE time out of the literally hundreds of times I have weighed food has the food actually weighed less than it was supposed to weigh. Now that I know this, it really doesn't surprise me that the majority of Americans have a weight problem.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'v'e only recently started to almost exclusively use my scale vs. measuring things. In the negative side, nut servings and banans are too small! Pouting. But some nice surprises are bread (I tend to buy from individual bakeries instead of sandwich bread at the supermarket), certain crumbled cheeses, bacon (woot woot) and oatmeal.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    When I started weighing all my food, I realized I was overestimating sizes. So, I get to eat more!
  • Limath
    Limath Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'v'e only recently started to almost exclusively use my scale vs. measuring things. In the negative side, nut servings and banans are too small! Pouting. But some nice surprises are bread (I tend to buy from individual bakeries instead of sandwich bread at the supermarket), certain crumbled cheeses, bacon (woot woot) and oatmeal.

Nuts servings ARE disappointing! :) I agree with the bread, I also buy from bakeries, and was very happy with the serving sizes once weighed.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Specifically, Perdue whole grain chicken tenders were on sale last week, so I bought some for when I really, REALLY didn't feel like cooking. The package says 3 pieces are 90 grams. They have consistently weighed closer to 115 grams. So thankful for my new food scale!
  • fjellrev
    fjellrev Posts: 5,078 Member
    Options
    Luckily I tend to find the opposite when weighing packaged foods. They're lighter most of the time, particularly chicken breasts and pan-seared fish.

Yesterday, I was quite surprised at Brazil nuts. While planning the latter part of the day meal-wise, I had some calories left (like 40, big deal) that I wanted to try to take advantage of. I measured one nut which came to 4g, which is around 25 calories. One. Yeah, I didn't even bother.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm still upset about bananas. I mean, so many calories!! Well, not really, but one "normal" banana can weigh upwards of 150 grams.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I cannot tell you how much time I have spent combing through the MFP data base looking for my food entries to have grams or ounces rather than being listed as "1 cup chopped", or "one piece/slice". It's made a huge difference logging food and losing weight.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I got to use my scale more often sand throw away the "cup measureing" tools. It seems that it is a huge difference...:embarassed: :devil: :frown:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly I've never used one and I turned out ok ;)
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Can foods rip you off.. frozen are more on the money.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Weighing pasta servings make me sad, was def surprised how little was in X amount of grams
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love how much cheese there is when you grate it... 6 g of powdered cheese (fancy, I know) or even 8 g of good quality cheese can go such a long way.
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am learning to Google nutrition facts up on the foods I eat then add them to the MFP database in grams. I mean really....1 large potato...1 fish filet...oven baked fries (20)....how big are these items if you don't do them at least by ounces? I like grams better because it is more accurate. There are so many that don't list ounces or grams, it just says "1 medium potato" or "1 fish filet" or "oven baked fries (20)". These folks are not taking into account that your medium might not be my medium if there are no ounces or grams counted. That is like 1 fish filet. I fileted bluegill, small pan fish. I am certain a salmon filet or tuna filet has many more calories. That is why I googled to find how many calories were in 100 grams of a bluegill filet and baked potato. I can figure it from there easily but that guessing game sounds to me like it is just any easy way for someone to cheat...but who are they cheating...themselves. Sad
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Chips: 28g of chips is actually a nice amount.

Cheese: again, 28g of cheese is more than I expected. So much so that I usually use 14g on potatoes and in my eggs.

Cereal: 32g is never enough. So I usually eat two servings.

Cookie dough: 28g is just depressing.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The only disappointing thing has been my potatoes. Sometimes I want a baked potato as a meal. Jeeesus. Apparently we have GIANT potatoes. Upwards of 300 cals.
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Weighing pasta servings make me sad, was def surprised how little was in X amount of grams
    that's the only one that has surprised me, too..
    with most stuff I knew that it would be very little portions, but weighing out 150grams of pasta made me sad. I used to eat twice as much and thought nothing of it.
  • HeidiSmith419
    HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sometimes what really surprises me is serving sizes. Some times WAY more than you'd wanna eat (a TBS of balsamic glaze? Way too much even on a giant dinner salad!) or the amount of carbs in pasta! I eat one ounce, suggested serving is two but I recall thinking two was absolutely ridiculously too small. lol

If you want grams and ounces it's usually more effective to put in usda after each item. Mix also have added the word grams into a search as well.

I once saw someone log 3c of cheese and 1c of ketchup in a meal (it happened often enoigh!). I actually messaged them to double check that their adds were not estimations when we got on the topic of it. lol