Yoga, Food, & Time

Options
So, I do not have much time being a new mother to shred off baby weight at the gym. I was wondering would power yoga be a good option? I don't have any DVDs and was wondering if any power yoga vids on youtube were effective, there are many to chose from. Not sure which to chose though. I plan on walking with my daughter more because she enjoys being over your shoulder and walking around the house plus she is napping better and I'll finally be able to do chores.

As for foods, I want to eat more protein, less carbs and drink more water. Is there any foods with high protein or low carbs? I googled some but I'm not sure which is filling or not. I've set my goats to .5lb per week because I felt 1,250 calories are a little low. Maybe not for me being 5'1 but I'm currently trying to burn off 25lbs.

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your wee one! I'm a new mom as well (to a 4-month old boy) so I hear ya on time!

When it comes to your baby weight it's all about nutrition - exercise is going to help tone you up and feel AMAZING (and give you the energy you'll need with your daughter) but it's ALL about food! So if you like yoga, go for it (however, if you're looking for an awesome yoga-inspired workout that'll help you burn calories I HIGHLY recommend PiYo).

Are you breast feeding? If so, you're going to need more calories than 1,250 as you burn 500 calories through breast feeding alone.

Feel free to friend me and we can chat further to help you come up with a plan of action! :)
  • candyinmyheels
    candyinmyheels Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am personally not a huge fan of power yoga, but by all means, if you enjoy it, go for it. I have friends who LOVE Baptiste Power yoga. take a look at their website www.baronbaptiste.com ...I think you can pay for some online videos, but it looks like there are some on you tube too. periodically they do a free online month where you get access to free workouts and motivations. (they also have some great goal-oriented journals and lists of questions to answer for yourself).
    If you eat meat, that is one of the best protein sources. or fish. snacks, i love low-fat yogurt (or even full fat, especially if you are breastfeeding). chickpeas, hummus, rice and beans, if you eat dairy there is always cheese, or just a glass of milk (or soy milk or almond milk). I am trying to up my protein intake too, though I lean a little more towards a vegetarian diet, and i feel like all I am eating is chick peas, beans, lentils, and yogurt.
    In the past I really enjoyed doing gillian michaels' dvds including "the 30-day shred". Currently I am doing some weightlifting (I follow the plans in the book "the new rules of weightlifting for women"). It may be a little harder to lift at home than at a gym, but it can certainly be done if you are interested and can get access to dumbbells...
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for bang for your buck as far as calories and time go, I'd suggest a bodyweight circuit (or with weights if you have them!). You can get a great workout at home, build muscle, and drop fat with no equipment and minimal time commitment. Do 45sec of each ush-ups, lunges, squats, step ups, plyometrics, sit ups, and planks with 15sec break between. Progress to repeat 2-5 times. Jump rope is something you can do inside as well. I think yoga is great, just not for weight loss. Make sure you're getting adequate fat as well as protein. And I agree with the above poster that if you're breast feeding, your calorie intake should be higher.

Congrats on the little one! And remember, you put the weight on over 9 months, so patience is key :)
  • candyinmyheels
    candyinmyheels Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    another things that might be nice from home-- there are subscription services like www.gaiamtv.com that you pay a fee per month and can stream all sorts of yoga classes. they have lots of big name teachers too, so it can be fun to try them out, mix things up. i think they offer a free trial too.