Progress picture frequency?

Options
FeraFilia
FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
Hello everyone. :)

I'm just wondering how frequently you all take progress photos (if you take them). I know the scale isn't always the best indicator of progress, and photos can be helpful. So do you take them monthly? Every time the scale says 10 pounds? 25 if you have a lot to lose? When you hit a fitness goal and need to change the intensity of your workout?

I was originally thinking of every 10 pounds, or every month, but now I'm thinking I might want have longer intervals simply because I have SO FAR to go, and don't want to be discouraged about no visible progress (because 3% isn't super obvious), even though I'm feeling better, my clothes are a bit looser, and the scale is showing a nice downward trend (20 pounds so far, yay!). I also do measurements at the end of the month.

Any other suggestions for "good" (and by good, I mean best way to see progress) progress pictures would be welcome as well. I currently do front, side and face.

Thoughts? Opinions? Unrelated but humorous gifs? :)

Replies

• lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I started doing them whenever I had the urge which wasn't a very good idea. Now I'm doing them every 10lbs lost (2lbs away from doing one for 40lbs).
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Nobody ever complained about having too many pictures once they got to the other side. Plenty of people who regret not taking more.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I was planning to every month. I just did my first progress pics a few days ago.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I need to get back into doing progress pictures, I found them to be motivational. Looking at a picture of myself in my underwear, while thinking about eating that little extra something that I barely have the calories for, kind of puts a stop to those thoughts.

I was doing them monthly, along with my measurements, but I never uploaded the pictures anywhere because I was ashamed and didn't want anyone to see them... then my hard drive crashed and I lost all the pictures and a lot of my motivation.
    Lesson learned, you can put them privately on image sharing sites like Photobucket.
  • FeraFilia
    Options
    Now I'm doing them every 10lbs lost (2lbs away from doing one for 40lbs).

40 pounds! Awesome job. :bigsmile:
    Nobody ever complained about having too many pictures once they got to the other side. Plenty of people who regret not taking more.

This is sort of what I was thinking... But I don't want to take them *too* frequently and not see any progress.

I'm trying to find the happy medium.
    I was planning to every month. I just did my first progress pics a few days ago.

This is the way I'm leaning, as well... same time I do my measurements.
  • FeraFilia
    Options
    I need to get back into doing progress pictures, I found them to be motivational. Looking at a picture of myself in my underwear, while thinking about eating that little extra something that I barely have the calories for, kind of puts a stop to those thoughts.

I was doing them monthly, along with my measurements, but I never uploaded the pictures anywhere because I was ashamed and didn't want anyone to see them... then my hard drive crashed and I lost all the pictures and a lot of my motivation.
    Lesson learned, you can put them privately on image sharing sites like Photobucket.

Oh no... Sorry to hear about your computer! I backed mine up on a thumb drive. I don't want my start pictures getting out there for a while yet, not even on a site that has a supposed-to-be private setting. :-\

You should start taking photos again, if it motivates you!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Underwear ones I take once a month & keep them on my phone (private settings) definitely helps motivate me. I generally snap a new pic every so often for on here too. So weird taking selfies though I've always fled from the camera in the past.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

I am with this poster. If I could go back 5 years, I would take them ever week to 2 weeks. You can be surprised if you are working out and see one week to the next. Maybe not now, but in the end you will have awesome progression photos.

Now we have so many digital options it is a breeze and doesn't cost a dime.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I do it at the beginning of every month. I just started to notice a small difference here in month 5.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I was doing them monthly, along with my measurements, but I never uploaded the pictures anywhere because I was ashamed and didn't want anyone to see them

Same here, I let it all out in the pictures as sucking my stomach in (like my default setting) isn't going to show progress. I keep them on my google drive with everything else in case of a HDD crash.