June 19, I finally started!

Options
My name is David, a lover of food and international cuisine, and all around junk food junky. I have been trying fad diets for the last 30 or so years and resisted the simple approach due to preconceived notions of dire hunger, low calories and counting, and eating funky things like alfalfa sprout sandwiches and plain steamed veggies. For the record, I have achieved a weight of 395 and BMI of 51. I was in very good shape early in life, but due to a serious injury, started stacking on the pounds. I went from 190 to 250, leveled out as I healed, then got lazy and went to 300 in no time. Then in increments I went to 313 to 340, to 350 etc. I was an avid Atkin's dieter and have dabbled in it for more than 25 years with limited success. I say limited because I would do well and then binge, saying I was treating myself for doing so well. The most I ever lost on it was 51 pounds, going from 344 down to 293. That was a few years back and now I have gained it all back plus extra. Recently as I was doing the Atkins with no success, I began researching and checking around and started the process for bypass surgery. I did not want to do it for a number of reasons. I know it is good for some and hey, go for it if you have to. I just felt it would be a loss or cop out, because I knew I could lose the weight if I just applied myself. Plus, it IS surgery and still risky. It is invasive of your body cavity, opening the door to later problems and infection. My wife told me about a lady who was doing this Fitness Pal program and how smoothly and easy it was to follow. What struck me at first, was because of my high weight, I did not have to start out on 1000 or 1200 calories; which sounded horrible and I always avoided calorie counting for that reason. To my surprise, my suggested calories after the calculation were 3200 daily. After more research I decided on going with 2100 daily and it has worked great thus far. Actually, I have to try to fit all 2100 in daily. Not that I am trying to deprive myself, I am just satisfied. Another thing, if I want something that is not all that healthy, I can eat light the rest of the day. My only indulgence so far has been a gyro, and when I looked it up, it was only 700 calories and that is all I ate. Later I had a light snack of yogurt and an apple and was happy with that. I try to go to bed earlier, as late night was my binging time. My belly growls a bit and protests, but I have come to ignore it and am assured I must be doing something right. I feel more energy and am now ready to start exercising. What is good about this program is tracking and tallying. You know what you have had and what you have left for the day. You don't have to suffer and eat sticks and berries all day. If you go out to eat, you tally and later you curb things a bit. If you give in and have a slice of pie it doesn't throw you off your diet; you just adjust yourself and move on. I have cut WAY down on fats, sugar, and have given up pop. I drank diet soda a lot and now I just drink water, coffee (one cup a day) and skim milk and juice once in a while. So far, so good! Wish me well folks, because I have to do this! Things were getting out of control and my life was becoming miserable. Here's to losing!

Replies

• JulieMarieLopez07
    Options
    Good Luck David!
    I'm Proud of You!!
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I have been there :) You can do this. Your right surgery works for some and for others it is not the best option. If you commit yourself to changing your lifestyle you will accomplish this. It will take time however celebrate the small victories! Every 10 lbs I would buy myself a non food gift. Maybe a shirt a manicure etc etc. :) Keep celebrating you and your accomplishments. Also start exercising now. At least lightly. It will only help you and will help your body feel good :) At my heaviest 469 lbs it was even hard for me to walk. I started out each day by walking 5 minutes, until that became easy. Then I added 2 minutes etc etc. :) You can do this. We have all the faith in you!!!
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you, young lady
  • caimay175
    caimay175 Posts: 42
    Options
    With that attitude, nothing can stop you :)
  • picklesroofus
    picklesroofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Welcome Dave -

Great job making healthy but realistic choices. I think you really have the hang of it.

Looking forward to your success and health for you and your Son. You are ( and will be ) a great inspiration.