Success Doesn't Last

Options

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It can work that way and often does... especially when unsustainable methods were used to get to goal. The best counter I've had was to emphasize fitness... This is a goal that is ongoing...Therefore, I am constantly trying to improve something... Lift a stronger weight, run farther, run faster, get leaner... I never really attain my ultimate goal because I always have something to achieve... Yet, I constantly meet mini goals along the way... in one way it can be frustrating but it keeps us from getting into that cycle of going back to what got us fat to begin with. Ongoing commitment.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Second time round for me too. Did this 10 years ago, lost 3 1/2 stone and was at goal. Looking at pictures, (crikey I look so well and happy) I did ok for 3 years then started creeping back on, then about 3 years ago we had 10 months without a kitchen and bad habits really set in, till I reached 8lb more than my highest. I am now closing in on that target again and every thing I've changed feels sustainable, I actually prefer healthy food anyway and really enjoy my exercise classes so I am so hoping this time it will stay off.
  • 3BabyBlues
    3BabyBlues Posts: 24
    Options
    went from this 205lbs:

0e8e1cd8-90cc-49bf-83e1-b91613b26b72_zpsf7a3c9df.jpg

To this 156lbs:

07eca200-145b-4ea7-a6e7-cc06d1dff687_zpsba764bce.jpg

Back to here at 235:

70b380ad-7666-4a2b-a19a-c7bb9f59b867_zpsc25de977.jpg

Now present 195lbs:

4f67eb2e-9738-45c8-8ed1-c12e2fb0c6a2_zpsd179835a.jpg

I'll get there again soon.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    Long term success for weight loss is...difficult, at best. Simply put, a lot of people fail at it, especially if they are serial dieters and do not change their habits forever. The people who are most successful at keeping their weight down stay aware of what they eat (via counting calories, keeping a general food diary, etc.), set new fitness/maintenance goals for themselves regularly, and monitor the scale pretty much forever. That's why it's really important to listen when people say to choose something that you can live with for the rest of your life. Success doesn't last for a lot of people because they can't stick to something like calorie counting or cutting out carbs forever and ever, and if they start slipping up a lot they're more likely to get discouraged. This can also happen if they get comfortable a year or two after losing the weight and they stop paying attention. Always pay attention, always keep trying, and find a weight management tactic that you think is sustainable for the rest of your life.

Personally, I'm definitely in the camp of people who can't keep weight off forever. I'm trying different things, though, and pushing to find something that I can keep up with and modify to meet my changing needs until the end of time (jeez, that sounds like a tall order).
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I plan to stay on top of it, if you just weigh yourself every morning you can see if you start trending up, then nip it in the bud before it goes too far, that is what I plan to do.
  • bigboar
    bigboar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I plan to stay on top of it, if you just weigh yourself every morning you can see if you start trending up, then nip it in the bud before it goes too far, that is what I plan to do.

I was at 172.2 back in jan 2013 and decided it was time after my doctor telling me I needed to diest as I should be back down around 145-150. I worked at it hard for a few months and got to 153.4. After that I thought all was well and went back to eating junk food and stuff whenever I felt like it. Well, after finally making myself get on a scale last week guess what? I came in at 176.4 which is the highest i have ever been. I have since started back up and this time my goal is to do exactly as you after I reach my goal..
  • BEVERLYSTEEN
    BEVERLYSTEEN Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    For me it is a constant struggle and after awhile I get tired of it and let myself go again, sad but true. I then stop getting on the scale because I don't want to see how high it is and when I finally do I bing because of the disappointment in myself. Then I keep telling myself that today will be the day I will start again but then I don't. God has heard my prayers and helped me get back on track and I am grateful.
  • makypud
    makypud Posts: 1
    Options
    You are right, the key is moderation if you can keep on your calorie count you set for yourself it will work. Congratualtions
    :wink:
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Time and time again.....followed so many diets in my lifetime so far!
    This time has got to be the last though.....I am reading through the forums and seeing what is working for the successful who have made it and are maintaining over time!
    No more fad diets or removing all the foods I enjoy in favour of...carrot sticks, or whatever! This has to be healthy eating at a deficit and doing regular exercise, shifting to a new gear when required.

I do not believe this weight off, weight on cycle has to continue...hope you find the answer you need to make this work for you!
    Good luck! :happy:
  • teeya1984
    teeya1984 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    story of my life...

Year lbs

2004 - 176
    2005 - 200
    2006 - 230
    2007 - 190
    2008 - 158
    2009 - 215
    2010 - 200
    2011 - 190
    2012 - 155
    2013 - 175
    2014 - 155

My biggest problem with my weight loss is that I celebrate it with FOOD - greasy, disgusting FOOD.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    the only way it does is if you loose it living a lifestyle that you can maintain forever.

+1

No more diets. You must find a new way of living that suits you, FOREVER.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Diets only work when you're on them.

Don't diet. Diet is a four letter word.

If you can't make a change that can last forever, then don't make that change.

You won't lose the weight as fast as if you diet. But you will lose - and you will be healthier.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I gained and lost the same 15 pounds the entire time I was in the Air Force. I'd lose it just in time for my PT test by restricting everything and working out tons, and then I'd gain it all back as soon as I was finished.

Once I got out of the military, I decided I wanted to lose weight for me, and not for somebody else or some institution. I did it the MFP way right out of the gate. Taking all the emotion, morality, and games out of it was the only think that worked. In the end, it's just a math equation, and as long as the energy balance is the way I want it, I'm sure to meet my goals.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    according to statistics , between 90 to 94 percent of all people who lose a substantial amount of weight gain it back and more within the first year after losing ,

I can attest to that fact.............

BUT.......I keep trying and just hang in there.....I will say though, I did gain about 30 to 35 percent back in the first year , but I AM RELIGIOUS about going to the gym........I won't miss it, I got 5 times a week

Maybe this will be the time it will work for me...
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't last it's not success :flowerforyou: Lifestyle change ftw.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people go through this. That's why when I reach my goal, maintaining is going to be the hard part; harder than losing the weight was. I'll probably count calories for the rest of my life, but if that is what it takes, then that is what I will do.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    That cycle stops when you learn to lose it right. When you lose it still eating the things you love. There is a balance and once you find it that's when the cycle stops. Its not all or nothing and there is no finish line. Its forever. Find your forever balance and you will not gain it back. My forever balance, give or take ,with new goals I set still includes all my favorite foods. You just learn how to eat them. Success lasts! When you do it right.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    so far so good...this is the one and only time I've ever really seriously tried losing weight (couple of half *kitten* attempts at Adkins and South Beach). I'm about 3 months away from the two year mark for all of this good livin' and I've been maintaining for 13 months without logging, etc.

I really made it a point to learn how to live a healthful life during my weight loss process...for me, it was a lot more than just losing weight that I was after. I dove head first into the study of nutrition and embraced my fitness with the understanding that these things would be essential to my long term success.

There truly is no finish line...achieving a healthy weight is just the beginning...the process of losing the weight is simply the training ground for the much longer race ahead...you have not arrived at the finish line once you've reached a healthy weight, you have just arrived at the starting line.
  • BeefyBFit
    BeefyBFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Success only lasts as long as you do the work. It is easy to reach your goals if you continue to do what’s required day in and day out. It’s even easier to fall off the mountain if you start to get lazy with your habits and with the things that were successful. I dropped about 90lbs starting about 3 years ago, about 40 of those have crept back. The reason for that is that my commitment hasn’t been as great. I’m trying to get the magic back. It’s a struggle but I’m still waaaaay better than I was when I started.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    as most have said we've all been there. now that I've lost the most weight I've ever lost before (but not at goal) its a haunting fear i have. i do believe this time is a bit different for me as its the most realistic "eating for life" approach I've taken. and i think the number one thing that is different is i have a better understanding of how my emotions play a critical role in me being able to eat well. i always knew that but didnt really have a full deep understanding of it, nor a constant awareness of it. now its very clear to me, still working on it, but awareness is half the battle.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!