Does it count?

Please forgive me if this sounds really goofy, however, would having a fruit smoothie count as having ingested a serving of fruit?

I have read many different things about it, some saying yes it does count, or no it doesn't because when you blend up the fruit it loses it's nutrients. I've also read it doesn't count if you add anything extra to it like juice or a scoop of sherbert. Thank you for any helpful insight.

Replies

• PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    I always counted mine as having fruit. Not sure why you wouldn't. I counted everything in it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    It's still fruit and you're still eating it, although through a straw rather than whole....I don't see how blending a whole piece of fruit would change the fact that it's a fruit. As for adding the sorbet negating it - would the same be true if you ate the fruit whole, and then had a dish or sorbet later? :tongue: Now if you juiced a piece of fruit, removing some of the skin or pulp, it would take something away from it.

Eat it, blend it, log it - and enjoy it!

Edited to add - heck if I put fresh strawberries into a blended margarita I count is as fruit - and log it with all the margarita ingredients.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    If it has actual fruit in it I would call that a serving of fruit.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    If you used bread crumbs on fish does it change the fact that it's still a carb? Just because you use it differently doesn't mean it's different whole or cut or blended
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Use this question as an opportunity to consider looking at calorie and/or macro counting instead of serving counting.