The Journey Begins

Options
So I've been contemplating getting in shape for a while, I figured round probably isn't the best shape.

I'm a 22-year-old guy from Scotland who used to be an Infantry Soldier in the British Army. During my time in the Army I was the fittest I'd been in my life, which in turn made me confident. Something I hadn't felt for a while.

I was a chubby kid growing up, not documentary fat or anything, just unhealthy. There's a couple of reasons for that, but it's not really important. What is important is I was unhappy with it. I decided I wanted to change, but by this time I was 16.

I smashed my fitness and signed up to the Army, lost weight and became quite fit.

The trouble is, I injured my back and was subsequently Medically Discharged, which led to a lack of motivation and just general unhappiness in my life.

It's been a couple of years, and I've came to the conclusion that I need to get a grip. I need to grab life by the moobs and motivate myself to get the body I want. The main motivation right now is the fact I'm going to visit family in Canada in the summer 2015, I've not seen them in 7 years and plan on surprising them by turning up at the door.

I don't really want to be over there in the lovely sunshine and be embarrassed about taking off t-shirt.

So on Monday I begin the Insanity Workout, and over the last couple of days I've started to cut the garbage out my diet. No more fizzy drinks, just water. No more crisps (chips for those across the pond), no more chocolate... instead, fresh fruit and granola bars.

I'm feeling good about this, we'll see how long that lasts.

Just wanted to let everyone know a bit about me (if you're interested) and to say hi to all those who may be on a similar mission.

Replies

• littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Lovely, honest post. I'm Scottish born, but living in Canada since I was a kid. Sounds like you have the determination to succeed. Although I have attempted and succeeded at weight loss in the past, it has never been permanent and I have gained it back. This time feels different, and, like you, it seems I have found the motivation and determination somewhere to finally make it this time.
    Cheers
  • ADMcNaul
    ADMcNaul Posts: 55
    Options
    Lovely, honest post. I'm Scottish born, but living in Canada since I was a kid. Sounds like you have the determination to succeed. Although I have attempted and succeeded at weight loss in the past, it has never been permanent and I have gained it back. This time feels different, and, like you, it seems I have found the motivation and determination somewhere to finally make it this time.
    Cheers

Aye, us Jocks are spread far and wide haha. My Aunt moved to Canada when she was younger and that's who I visit. She lives in Mississauga and I absolutely love it there! Fully intend to move there when possible.

I think for myself, the whole keeping the weight off after I've lost it shouldn't be too much of a problem, I just want an active lifestyle like the one I enjoyed in the Army. I enjoy running etc. it's just been the motivation to take those first steps back in to it.

I'm sure this time you'll shake the weight for good. Just remember, you've only failed if you don't try. If you put a little weight back on, but continue to be motivated to lose the weight, it will come off. Positive thinking and all that good stuff.
  • NerdyAdventurer
    NerdyAdventurer Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    YAY! Someone who thinks you can take your shirt off in the summer's in Canada!

Good luck! It sounds like you know what to do from training for the military, so just stick with it :)
  • ADMcNaul
    Options
    YAY! Someone who thinks you can take your shirt off in the summer's in Canada!

Good luck! It sounds like you know what to do from training for the military, so just stick with it :)

I live in Scotland and it's horrific, you see people with their t-shirts off as soon as it gets above 12 degrees haha! We're enthusiastic when it comes to soaking up sunshine when we get the chance.

Thank you :)!
  • AislingHunter
    AislingHunter Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A fellow Scot here! Congratulations on getting started, I fell off the wagon a few months ago and just managed to get myself back on a couple of weeks ago. It's going quite well so far, and I'm enjoying it more this time around as well :)
  • ADMcNaul
    Options
    A fellow Scot here! Congratulations on getting started, I fell off the wagon a few months ago and just managed to get myself back on a couple of weeks ago. It's going quite well so far, and I'm enjoying it more this time around as well :)

Glad to hear! you're enjoying it I spent so long using my injury as an excuse that I forgot what exercise was haha. Onwards and upwards.
  • catcow888
    catcow888 Posts: 37
    Options
    Another Scot here as well :) Except I live in Australia. It's wonderful that you've decided to jump back on board and reclaim yourself again. :) I hope going cold turkey works for you! I personally prefer having my occasional treat once in a while. Just remember that if you're feeling like you need to incorporate a treat into your diet, don't beat yourself up about it! Weight loss plans change all the time. I've decided to cut out alcohol completely for 12 weeks, but if I make a conscious decision to have it in moderation, it's totally fine for me to change my goals.

I dunno if this post was clear, but basically, the fact that you've started means you can't really fail... your goals just change. I think that makes sense. Just... just smile and nod if it doesn't. :P
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Love your honesty :) You can do this. It sounds like you are already headed in the right direction :) I hope you enjoy insanity I have heard many many good things :) Remember to always log your food even if you have a bad day to help you stay accountable and get back on track! Again, congrats on the first step :)
  • ADMcNaul
    Options
    Another Scot here as well :) Except I live in Australia. It's wonderful that you've decided to jump back on board and reclaim yourself again. :) I hope going cold turkey works for you! I personally prefer having my occasional treat once in a while. Just remember that if you're feeling like you need to incorporate a treat into your diet, don't beat yourself up about it! Weight loss plans change all the time. I've decided to cut out alcohol completely for 12 weeks, but if I make a conscious decision to have it in moderation, it's totally fine for me to change my goals.

I dunno if this post was clear, but basically, the fact that you've started means you can't really fail... your goals just change. I think that makes sense. Just... just smile and nod if it doesn't. :P

Yeah I understand that, the only thing I do really enjoy is my Irn-Bru... but I've wanted to cut it out for a while, both for fitness and to keep my teeth intact and white haha.

I think the occasional take-away will be in there somewhere to keep me sweet.
  • ADMcNaul
    Options
    Love your honesty :) You can do this. It sounds like you are already headed in the right direction :) I hope you enjoy insanity I have heard many many good things :) Remember to always log your food even if you have a bad day to help you stay accountable and get back on track! Again, congrats on the first step :)

Thank you, yeah I'll definitely try and log everything... may even set a reminder on my phone for it. My biggest struggle with logging it will be forgetfulness, but I'm hoping I can visit here daily, for both motivation, helping encourage other people and to make sure I keep myself on target.