Frustrated

Options
Ok so I am training for a 7 day hike in the mountains and have to increase my exercise each day slowly , but I can't possibly eat all the calories. I tried to add some cheese to my salads and I have even added an Amy's frozen entree to my lunch to help bring my calories up. I also added vegetarian chili and veggie protein hot dogs to my dinner salad to increase my protein because that has always been under and now that I am working out so much I really need it. BUT now I am over on my sodium if I should add all this. So what the heck do I eat. I feel like I should go back to eating disgusting food to not be in the starving mode! Which I don’t want to do. I still have 50 lbs to lose. Also when I am hiking all my food will be dehydrated what is that going to do to me, hiking 40 miles a day. I am so lost I have never been in this situation. My diets were eat less work out more and obviously that did not work so I am trying to figure out how to do this the right way and the forever way.

Replies

• modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Prepared foods, even vegetarian, are packed with lots of sodium. With that being said, sodium isn't GOD AWFUL for you. Going over your sodium a little is far better than going over your sugar. Just drink extra water.

Walnuts are super high in calorie but oh-so-good for you. Try snacking on them during the day and I bet you eat those calories you need.

As for the hiking part - if you are walking 40 miles a day, what mfp tells you you should be eating no longer applies. You should check out some hiking forums. My dad is a hiker and he tends to load up on pasta the day before so he has plenty of energy. You will definitely need several thousand calories a day because you will be burning a ton.

Try this site... healthy backpacking food - it might be helpful: http://ezinearticles.com/?Backpacking-Food---What-To-Bring&id=57176

Goodluck!!
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks that site was helpful, I'm heading to the grocery store to do some shopping and going to be reading labels for more high calorie meals and slow down on the salads. I'm not much into nuts but I do like sunflower seeds.