Lose my period when I work out?

Options
Hi, to shorten things up, I was at a very low weight about a year ago and during that time my period was gone. In June of last year, I started to gain weight and got my periods back in December at a BMI or 27 ~ 28.

I started working out again in May of this year and I haven't gotten a period since.
My BMI is 26 so it's not like I lost a bunch of weight of anything. I'm currently averaging around 1800 calories a day with 6 days of gym (usually Les Mills classes at Goodlife: Body Combat, Body Attack, and Body Pump).

My stats are...
Height : 164cm
Weight: 155 lbs ish

Anyone help? :( I really don't want to lose my period again...but I really want to get fit again and tone up

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    This is probably something that you want to see your OGBYN or doctor about. I was thinking that you might be eating too little, but 1800 calories is pretty good.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    This is probably something that you want to see your OGBYN or doctor about. I was thinking that you might be eating too little, but 1800 calories is pretty good.

This! Bring your food diary and exercise log with you.
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yeah, definitely see your OBGYN. I don't think this is an exercise problem or too little food-intake, but have someone take a look at your logs.

Do you know your body fat percentage? Is it really low? That's the only thing I can think of.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I agree with the pp's; I would guess there is another underlying cause. Definitely check with your ob/gyn.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when my weight was under 160lbs. Even I am aiming this time around for 150lbs and anticipate to loose it again. It is one of the amazing things the female body does to protect itself. Your period ceases because you don't have the reserve to feed/sustain another life. If your body fat goes below a certain level (and this may be different for each of us). The ideal body weight which is suggested to us stems from a statistic researcher who used to work for med life in the 1960'. They have no scientific or medical background. healthy weight is actually for each of us different, as diverse as we are. I just saw a report regarding the "weight industry". You can find it at www.zdf.de/mediathek and then look for "Die Schlankmacher 1" and "Die Schlankmacher 2". It was very interesting.
  • cjl2535
    cjl2535 Posts: 89
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your replies!
    Hmm...I'm pretty sure my body fat percentage is not low at all...I'm significantly a lot chubbier than I ever used to be.

The thing is, my health card expired recently and I haven't gotten a chance to renew it yet (I should probably do that asp) and it also might take a while for me to receive it.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a same experience / possible solutions (ie. increasing calorie intake, increasing certain macros)
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Something similar happened to me six months ago, all though I'm at lower weight. When my weight dropped to 105 lbs, I lost my period. But I was eating below 1200 calories and on top of that working out 5 times x week. My body fat was pretty low. Now my current weight is 110lbs (my height is 5.4), I increased my calories (but didn't stop working out), protein and fat and my period came back last week! I honestly don't know I've ever been so happy and relieved.
  • cjl2535
    Options
    That sounds a lot like me about a year ago D: However, mine came back with (a lot of) weight gain :(
    How many days/weeks after did your period return after increasing your calories if you don't mind me asking?
    Thank you!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    vitamins and minerals if there is no medical implications.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your iron intake? Being severly anemic from poor iron intake can cause loss of periods and even an 1800 cal diet can be low iron if you aren't eating any iron rich foods. Working out puts extra strain on your body which is going to up your micronutrient requiremnts and aggrevate any malnutrition you may have from your diet.

If you are logging your food MFP tracks your iron intake. Go to the reports tab and there is a drop down menu and iron is one of the choices. Check it out.

Paleness, lethargy and dark circles under your eyes are other symptoms of anemia.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Absolutely ask your doctor. :)

Congratulations on your recovery and healthy habits!!
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Definitely have yourself checked out medically, since it's probably not your diet/exercise or weight, and you say your body fat % is probably not that low.
    How long has it stopped for? I once went 62 days between periods for no discernible reason - there was no chance I was pregnant and it definitely wasn't exercise or diet related. Bodies are just weird that way.
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Firstly address you stress levels. Are they high or normal?

Secondly, I lost my period on 1900 calories and competed at 1800 calories, and I generally lose my period on anything under 2000 for long periods of time. Your body is under stress. You need to eat more then that, especially if you wish to train.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor.

In the meantime, I'd try to increase your intake a bit more. I actually disagree with some comments here that say that you're eating enough - or at least that you're definitely eating enough! Yes, 1800 sounds a lot, (especially when you hear so many people getting by on a lot less), but it sounds like you're doing a lot of exercise for that intake.

I have been reading a lot about this topic lately and it seems that firstly, women's bodies vary in terms of how much bodyfat they need to menstruate, but also that too large of a calorie deficit (whether through intake, exercise, or both) can cause problems, even if your bodyfat is high enough. And stress definitely plays a part.

I would consider upping your calories a little, and maybe cutting the exercise down a little too. Find the sweet spot where you can still lose weight (slowly) and get fit, but you can get your period back. Personally, if it was me, I'd actually try to stop losing until you got it back, and then try again, with a very small deficit. It hasn't been a long time yet, but given that you've had problems before, I wouldn't mess around with it.

Also, if one of your fitness goals is to look more toned, then consider doing more heavy strength training rather than so much intense cardio, because you should be able to exercise less, and put less stress on your body, but get visible results more quickly. Not knocking cardio at all, because I think it's really important, but try to find a balance.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    See your doc.

I like Les Mills classes. BodyAttack is my favorite. Add me if you want a Les Mills friend :smile:

Unless the OP is doing two a days, personally I think 1800 cals could adequately fuel these classes. But of course you have to go by how you feel and how many calories you're consistently netting after exercise. I'd definitely consult with a health professional, especially considering the obvious possible reason for loss of period
  • cjl2535
    Options
    Thank you so much!
    I was actually contemplating on raising my calorie intake to 1900 - 2000 and seeing if that will help!
    I will most definitely go see a doctor when my health card gets renewed ><
  • cjl2535
    Options
    @JesterMFP
    Thank you so much!
    I was actually contemplating on raising my calorie intake to 1900 - 2000 and seeing if that will help!
    I will most definitely go see a doctor when my health card gets renewed ><

@Nikkisfitblog
    I will definitely try raising my calorie intake! Thank you so much :)

@squishycatmew
    hmm it's been about 50 - 60 ish days =/ Maybe I should see if it will come late but since I've lost it before, I just get so paranoid even if I'm a week late ><

@JaneiR36
    A Les Mills friend! Yes for sure :D Haha, my favourite are BodyAttack, BodyCombat, and BodyPump !!
  • cjl2535
    Options
    @Aaron_kk
    my iron levels are usually around 70 - 100 %
    And no visible dark circles yet and I am usually fairly energetic !
    Thank you! I'll go see a doc asap ><
  • ichigomaybridge
    ichigomaybridge Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Might be a dumb question but... could you be pregnant? That would have that effect too!
  • starsybyll
    starsybyll Posts: 32
    Options
    Normally you only lose your period if your BMI or body fat is very, very low. I had a BMI of 17-18 for most of my life and never lost it, personally. To me it sounds like there's a unrelated medical issue. I agree that you need to see your doctor because that's unusual. Feel better hon!