Can anyone explain this?

Options
Hi all,

Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. Been hating my scale for the last 4 weeks; though, that's been my own fault, as I've been consistently over eating on the weekends. I've been maintaining for the last 4 weeks, between 167 and 168, typically weighing in on Fridays. This week, I started weighing once a day, with the thought of averaging the daily weights for one weight at the end of the week, hearing that's a more accurate measurement. Here's the weird part, Monday thru Friday this week, every day the scale has gone down quite a bit, and has gone down quite a lot overall. The lowest I've weighed in the last 4 weeks was 167, so I'm trying to figure out how it's dropping so quickly all of the sudden........ ?

Monday was high @ 171
Tuesday @ 168.4
Wednesday @ 165.9
Thursday @ 164.4
Friday @ 162.6
Today @ 162.2

On a couple of the days, I double checked with other scales, and the numbers were close, between 1 to 2 pounds.

I guess my question is, since this is the first time I've weighed every day, is that normal? Or is my scale crazy? Also.... after maintaining at 167-168 for the last month, how in the heck am I getting numbers so low all the sudden?

Thank you!

Replies

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight changes dramatically depending on your water retention.
    Sudden small changes in bodyweight is perfectly normal, the body retains different amounts of water at different times. It is nothign to worry about.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh yourself in the morning before eating or drinking anything?
  • HLindsayA
    HLindsayA Posts: 46
    Options
    Yes, in the morning before I eat and drink.

I do know fluctuations are normal, which is why I went to weighing once a day, to get a solid average for the week. I was just really surprised by numbers so much lower than what I've been seeing for the last month, just all of the sudden seeing the numbers go down, after not seeing that for a full month.

Thanks everyone!
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh yourself in the morning before eating or drinking anything?
    For me.. that works best :)
  • Bshaw2442
    Bshaw2442 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have you changed anything that you were doing these past 4 weeks? If so, it could be that your body needed that extra "change" up to kick it into gear. It could have been water retention, that will make you lose a lot. My first week of starting my journey and I lost "8lbs" (I know that it was water lol bc you dont lose that muc h In 7days if it were fat). Either way, whatever it is BE HAPPY!! You are no longer stuck in a rut and on your way to a better you!! :)
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yup, echoing water-weight. Depending on the body makeup a person can hold roughly as much to 10 or so pounds excess.

Water is a ***** lol.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    hehe. Looks like me. I was going crazy weighing everyday for that exact reason. Now its Monday mornings 1 time thats it. :) I figure my good average will come by looking back over the month and seeing if I went down or retained :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Woosh effect. You burn fat, your fat cells fill with water for a couple weeks then you drop all the water weight at once. That's how I lost all of my weight really... It means if you're trying to maintain, you probably want to increase your calories.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me before. I am used to it happening by now. Usually despite excellent exercise and diet i lose very little for a while and then an absolute tonne comes off in the space of a few days. I believe some people call it the woosh effect. If it doesn't calm down within another week go see a doctor but 99.99% chance it will settle down soon.
  • HLindsayA
    HLindsayA Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks guys..... never heard of a 'whoosh effect'... ?

I figured I wasn't losing because I was eating on overkill over the weekends, so, although disappointed in not seeing the scale move, I knew it was my own fault.... Waiting to see if the low numbers are a fluke and they go back up, lol! Time will tell.

Thanks for your time everyone, I really appreciate it!!!

~Lindsay