Do you excercise alone or with someone

Options

Replies

• thenk83
    thenk83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I run alone. I walk and do workouts with my wife.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I generally perfer to workout alone, that way I can just do my thing and not worry about anybody else.
  • MelKnight77
    MelKnight77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Exercise on my own. Always have. Hard to find another girl at the gym who trains as hard as I do. When I see others train together, it makes me appreciate my own company more. Agree with the waiting around for someone else, the changing of times to have to suit someone else. Just give me the weights, my program and ipod and I'm all good to go!

Mel
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Forever alone♡ That's the way I like it
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Weight training- alone.

Most of my productive/ training oriented running I do alone. However, the past couple weeks I've been running with somebody. 5-6 times a week. We can only do about 45minutes together because she has to go to work, so then I do another hour of running alone, or go for a long bike ride.

I also go for a mid-day walk with a friend 2-3 times a week. We usually end up doing one evening thing together as well. Last week it was a "class" at her gym, the week before it was a trail run.

I'm pretty much at the point where I'm either at work, or I am doing some type of exercise. If somebody is available, I'll do something with them. If not, I go do stuff on my own.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Isn't it called something else when it's with someone?

Okay fine mind out of gutter.

Alone. Nothing like the meditative flow of solitude.
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Alone. I found all the people who decide they want to tag along with me will want to stop way before I do and it makes me feel bad for ditching them to work out more. I much rather go at my pace instead of worrying about them catching up.
  • swimnurseteacher7
    swimnurseteacher7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I exercise alone. I tried to get with others but it is not as important to them as it is to me. My husband does yard work for his exercise but I have allergies so that does not work for me. I am usually just outside watching him so I don't get my cardio that way. I love to dance so I am doing a Zumba class once a week. that gets me time with other people but I am new so I don't know the other people in the class.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I prefer power walking with my guy and other workouts (lifting, Pilates, barre, calisthenics, workout videos etc.) alone and at home.

About 4 months in I took a body pump type class and loved it! I made some great fitness friends, some of whom I still talk to and hangout with occasionally and the instructor was great! After about a year I grew out of that class. It was no longer challenging. Because of my increased fitness level it became just cardio. I knew I needed to lift heavier weights so I started investing in a home gym.

Most of the week a couple of hours after dinner we go out to a school track and briskly walk 2 - 4.5 miles depending on the time, how we feel and weather. It's really nice. We bond, talk, don't talk and listen to our own headphones, vent about our day and the time just flies by.

I ran into an issue though when we first started though because I can walk really fast (4.5 mph) and he couldn't keep up. When I was heavy and never left me in the dust so I stayed by him even though I wasn't getting as good of a workout in. Sometimes I would get 2 quick laps in alone and catch up with him though.

Fast forward two months later he's keeping up with me while doing intervals (2 laps fast, 2 laps regular) and losing some of his belly! I'm so proud of him! :)
  • w734q672
    w734q672 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I prefer do group training session like in Cross Fit. They are so much FUN. You will never feel alone doing all the cool exercises that Cross Fit has to offer. Plus, you will get your butt handed to you every single time you go.
  • Novus175
    Novus175 Posts: 80
    Options
    I definitely prefer to run alone. I'm very results-focused so I need to be able to try to increase my pace, distance, etc. It's also my chance to get rid of all the "head stuff" that's troubling me. And I love to just be able to jam out to some awesome tuneage.

However, it's also important to me to be connected with other runners to chat about training, our run that day, general questions and observations, etc. I do not like feeling like I'm the only runner on the planet.

I like to run alone.....but I need to talk about it afterward.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I lift alone...I have lifted with my husband but his program is different than mine...maybe we will again once we get in sync.

I have lifted with my sister but she is just starting and needs a lot of coaching and her weights are a lot lighter than mine...made for a few long workouts.

I lift at home....alone most of the time but my son and husband are there to spot me for benching if I need it...however we are working out something so I don't need them there.

My HIIT is usually done alone at my house
    Walking with my husband if he is home...alone if he is not. I have friends that walk but they have small children so have to wait for them to be in bed....I can go whenever I want so I do.

Biking again with husband if he is home...alone if he is not.

I do prefer my alone time that way I can go as fast as I want or as slow as I want and not feel guilty....and I am not on anyone else's schedule...it's great.
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Most of the time i go alone, i need to be able to focus and get in the zone. My friend trains me with me sometimes but i kinda had to stop that, he's the " everyday is chest and bi's day brah" type of dude lol.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I like to concentrate on what I'm doing. I'm not a big fan of group exercise classes either.

Ditto
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Solo. Unless I take a class (maybe a couple of times a month) None of my friends will make the commitment to any type of exercise.
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Nt2Badhuh Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    other people....I never tell them but I compete with them. It helps me lol because I'm a jerk I guess.... Even in group classes... I pick someone and see if I can keep up with them... It makes it fun not work....

When I work out alone im like eff this...it hurts....
  • marybelle1
    Options
    I usually do it alone, but would love to have a friend to do it with. I was going to a gym but people are what I thought very unfriendly, but after reading this it's their alone time. I just think for me I would love to have somebody else to work with.
  • Joycek801
    Joycek801 Posts: 7
    Options
    I exercise alone five days a week and attend a Zumba Senior class two days. I enjoy both. I like the class because we socialize before and after. I like exercising alone because I can play my own music playlist and exercise on my schedule.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I exercise alone most of the time. I prefer it that way.
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have my own equipment at home but my house is too hot in the summer so I joined a gym till autumn. Prefer by myself, less distracting.