Skinny fat

Options
I am 5'5 and my average weight is less than 110 lb. My goal is to gain weight and get tone. Its so hard for me to gain weight because of my metabolism. Another issues is that i have a stomach which looks weird on a thin frame. I go to the gym 4 times a week, I'm starting to cut down on my cardio and started to lift weights. Anyone have the same issues or suggestion on how to get tone and gain weight the healthy way.. Thanks

Replies

• sharyntg
    sharyntg Posts: 33
    Options
    One word: YOGA!!!! You'll be amazed. I'm 5'5" and 105 and was skinny fat until I found yoga. 40 minutes a day was all it took.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Eat above your maintenance amount and strength train. (Progressively heavier weights or progressively more challenging body weight moves.)

I'm not familiar with the 'bulking with yoga' school of thought
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight lifting.

I am also very thin and have a hard time gaining muscle (or weight), but heavy weight lifting has finally given me some ab definition. I would have no problem showing my stomach in a bikini now, after 4 kids (I definitely had some leftover flub after all of my pregnancies, and even though I was thin, it was not a good, healthy sort of thin).

I will probably never be super ripped (not without going through a lot of heroic measures to do so), but I am definitely more toned and have more muscle than I did a year ago. I'm still working on it, though. Due to some previous injuries I sustained from a car accident, I have had to take it a little bit slower with the weights so my progress is slower than it would be for an average person, but it's still progress.

I'll look into yoga, Sharyntg! Thanks for the tip! I did yoga for a little while when that was all I could physically do due to injury (that, and physical therapy) but then stopped as I became I was strong enough to do lifting and running. I should reincorporate yoga into my routine.
  • p8liwag
    p8liwag Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I started doing yoga yesterday and its a bit discouraging because I'm not as flexible as others.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I started doing yoga yesterday and its a bit discouraging because I'm not as flexible as others.

have you ever done it before?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    You're not gonna right away be flexible at yoga, just like you're not gonna right away be awesome at anything you just barely start out at.

I think you will get the results you want from progressive lifting.
  • p8liwag
    p8liwag Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I will continued to go to yoga class and lift weights, hopefully I can gain muscle weight :-)