Confused about P90X

Options
I keep hearing people talk about it and I've tried sifting through the posts as well as look at the website for the product; however, I am still confused. My questions are:

Is this something I do in MY home?

Do I need weights for this?

Can someone briefly explain how the program works?

What is the total cost?

Pros? Cons?

Replies

• bk2011
    bk2011 Posts: 268
    Options
    Check out beachbody.com!

I am not doing P90X but am doing Insanity, another beach body program. It is a workout that you do in your house; you follow the dvd's but its pretty extreme! I'm not sure about needing weights. I know you definitely need a pull up bar or can use resistance bands to modify the moves. I think P90X is around $120 or so. As for PROS, check out the success stories on beach body.com or search P90X on this site to pull some up. If you do the program, it works! Good luck!
  • jeepgirl79
    Options
    Hi there,
    Yes, it is something that you do at your home.
    They have weights in the video but it isn't a necessity.
    They also use a chin up bar but if you don't have one, then you just skip through it.
    The program consists of a series of DVD's and breaks it down into weeks and suggests certain dvd's each day.
    I paid about 250.00 for mine and honestly tried it for a couple of weeks, but lost interest after a while.
    It makes you really sore. It reminded me of a boot camp set up. I lost interest because of the repetition and the total dislike of push ups!! They have you doing lots!
    The pros are that it is intense and you can get the results in 90 days.
    The cons is that you have to stay motivated and be able to get through the soreness without telling your self it's too hard.:)
    I hope this helps:)
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    YES, you do it in your home

Yes you need weights, or bands

It is a 12 DVD program that comes with a schedule and each day (for 90 days) you pop in a DVD and do it!

It's about $120 for a customer, $90 if you're a coach

It's an amazing program that has worked amazingly for people who have committed to doing it. I've been doing it (mixed in to my other programs) for about 1 1/2 years now.

Let me know if you have other questions
  • rlberg55
    rlberg55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The P90X program is a set of videos (DVDs) that is sold on television and the internet, and yes, you do them in your own home. they do use weights, they also have you do pull ups and resistance band exercises, but the program does not require very much equipment.

the "90" part of the name is because it is a 90 day program with 10 workouts that are done to varying degrees in a pre-planned order to achieve what the company calls "muscle confusion" by doing high and low intensity alternatively, as well as upper and lower body exercises alternating. There is also a diet program that the company wants you to follow for "best results" but if you are using myfitnesspal, you are probably better off sticking with this.

I have seen used sets of the DVDs for less, but the full program is usually around $100.

Cons: The main con to this program is that it's a video, so in order to get a very good workout, you have to want to do it, and you have to have the space and the motivation to do it. You also need to know your body and know whether or not you have any injuries or conditions that would prevent you from doing some of the exercises. Another Con is that there is a large following of people on the beachbody.com website that are not real people with real results, they are paid by the company to try to pursade consumers by convincing them what great results that can be achieved.

Pros: i have tried the workouts, and they are pretty good, if you really get into it, you definately get sore, and you will build muscle doing activities that use your bodyweight and don't require you to leave the house.

Hope this helps!
  • serrinac
    Options
    We have the P90X and it's DVD based with several DVD's, cardio, synergy, yoga, strength and others. Mine came with resistance bands, but some of the videos show weights being used. It's a very intense work out and seems geared more towards people who are already in shape and are looking for a bit of a push. They even state in one of thier paid advertisements that they grabbed a specific group of people that were able to get through the trials and sent those home who did not push themselves hard enough.

One thing nice about doing it at home is you can rest a bit or push yourself or hit the pause button :-)

If you have heart troubles, I wouldn't do this one.

My husband does it but that dirty dog is naturally fit and muscular.

This is not a beginner program.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing people talk about it and I've tried sifting through the posts as well as look at the website for the product; however, I am still confused. My questions are:

What is the total cost?

Pros? Cons?

Yes, you do it at home.

You will either need weights or a good set of resistance bands. P90X combines lots of weight lifting circuit training with intense cardio and yoga, so you need some kind of resistance to challenge you. I prefer weights, but bands are OK. You also need a pull-up bar, or some sort of way to attach a resistance band to either the ceiling or doorframe so you can do lat pull-downs if you can't do pull-ups. A yoga mat is also a good thing to have for P90X.

The total cost depends on your equipment. You can buy the bands and pull-up bar from Wal-Mart for less money than through Beachbody. The program itself will run around $100 or so and comes with 12 DVDs, a nutrition guide, and a fitness guide. You can get it off of ebay or Craig's List, but I don't recommend that since most copies sold that way are cheap imitations and not the real thing. If you have a problem with the real thing, Beachbody will replace for free.

It's exercise 6 days a week...3 days of weights, 2 days of cardio, and 1 day of yoga. It is a total body workout that increases total fitness, strength, cardiovascularr endurance, and flexibility. They say it is not technically a weight loss program, but I don't agree with that since it got my chubby self down to 126 pounds from 150 starting weight. I gained lots of lean muscle making me able to do 60+ military style push-ups per minute plus over 10 unassisted pull-ups...without bulking up like He-Man, lol. My profile picture was taken right after I finished the 90 days. The nutrition is VERY important, and I can honestly tell you that just about everyone who says that they didn't get good results did not eat right or follow the nutrition plan. The nutrition plan works, it was designed for use with P90X, so if you are spending the money on the program, the least you could do is follow the plan correctly. :flowerforyou:

The only "cons" I can really think of would be time...if you don't have time to workout between 60 and 90 minutes a day, then you should do something else cause the shortest workout is nearly an hour and the longest is an hour and a half.

I've done P90X so many times and have seen the "pros" of the program that I can't really think of any "cons" unless you are strapped for time.
  • marinabrazil
    marinabrazil Posts: 106 Member
    Options

What is the total cost?

Pros? Cons?

Sure thing, Im o my 4th week of the program and I LOVE IT!! I bet you will too..

Well, P90X is a extreme HOME workout that you buy for a total of about $150. It comes with 12 DVD's, a fitness guide , nutritional guide and a calendar to keep track of how many days you have been doing it. You will need weights or bands for it (I use the bands even though I think it would be more efficient if I did it with dumbells) and a pull-up bar. Those two items do not come with the package but can be bought on the beachbody.com website or on any selling website.

The method used that makes this thing so efficient is called "muscle confusion". Its basically doing something different EVERYDAY of the week so your muscles get, well...confused (just like you are, :). So one day you've got plyometrics (jump training), than you get yoga (holy cow...), then legs and back, shoulders and arms, cardio, kenpo (boxing) and lots more. Plus you get to do 16 minutes of abs 3 days a week which is great!

So it is basically a 90 day challenge. If you keep pushing play for 90 days in a row (1 day off a week) and follow the nutrition guide (great!) you are doomed to have awsome results like you may see at the beachbody website. The only thing you have to do is BRING IT and keep pushing play.

You get really addicted to it, thats why you have seen so many threads about it...because it really does change lives. I wouldnt recomend insanity before doing P90X. Its a little bit more intense, and believe me...you will find intensity in P90X. Hope I could help.
  • marinabrazil
    marinabrazil Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I really dont agree much with the "have to be fit to do it" concept. :noway: Tony Horton (the instructor) gives A LOT of options for people to do some workouts that are kind of complicated. Plus I have seen MANY stories of people who couldnt do half a push-up and made it through. Its about pushing to your limits and not being content with who you are or what you can or cant do.

ANYONE who doesn't have serious problems can do this program and finish the 90 days a different person. Even handy-caps have done it! So there...it is not for really fit people...it is for people who want to be different and want to change their mind state from "Its too hard!" to "I'm going to do my best!".

:happy:
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    They also use a chin up bar but if you don't have one, then you just skip through it.
    The program consists of a series of DVD's and breaks it down into weeks and suggests certain dvd's each day.
    I paid about 250.00 for mine and honestly tried it for a couple of weeks, but lost interest after a while.

Yes it requires weights, you can also use resistance bands, you don't SKIP through the DVD, anybody that pays $250 for the program got robbed.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Yes it requires weights, you can also use resistance bands, you don't SKIP through the DVD, anybody that pays $250 for the program got robbed.

Agreed!!! I almost choked laughing when I read how much she paid for it! If I paid that much for it...I would MAKE myself complete it!

I choose to do "pull downs" rather than pull ups, using a resistance band. The program can be modified to suit pretty much any fitness level. If you have to push the pause button, come back and do as much as you can later, etc. You don't need weights, but if you don't have them, you will need resistance bands.

Everyone else repeated the same information so many times I'm probably going to see it my sleep tonight.

With all that being said, you may want to start out with something a little more like Turbo Jam or ChaLean Extreme. They're more fun! And if you enjoy what you're doing for exercise, you're more apt to DO IT! :o)
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I got mine for $75 shipped on Amazon. It was "new" - I think the guy tried like 2 days then gave up :). My benefit :)