Zumba & Kickboxing

TaraMaria
TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay! So I have been loving my Zumba dvds and tonight is Zumba class. But I always throw in my kickboxing DVD to get my stress out and throw some punches! I have always loved kickboxing! Sunday and Monday I did 30 minutes of each with my HRM on.

This is where my shocker came into play. I've always burned a lot of calories with my Zumba routine but this was the first time I wore my HRM with kickboxing. I burned at least a third more calories with kickboxing then I did Zumba!

I burned 390 calories with Zumba and 575 calories with kickboxing! I just thought this was crazy! Anywhoo...I thought I would share and ask if anyone else did both, compared...what they thought? I love them both for different reasons and they both work different areas for me. I'm sore in different ways after each one.

Any thoughts? :o)

Replies

• pamelasusan
    pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
    575 for 30 minutes of kickboxing?

That's great!
  • I LOVE kickboxing! Now that I know it burns that many calories, I'll do it more! :)
  • This week will hopefully be my first day back to kickboxing since I tore my ACL and had surgery last november (turned wrong in class and it snapped!). I know I burn at least 750-850 calories in Zumba for 1 hours, so I am curious to see about kickboxing. I do the turbo kick boxing (TKB) that 24Hr fitness offers if it makes a difference :-)
  • TaraMaria
    575 for 30 minutes of kickboxing?

That's great!

I had a lot of fun this past weekend and ate a lot of food I shouldn't have...I think I was picturing all of it and punching it right in the NOSE! :o) But I did both yesterday and the results were very simillar: Kickboxing burning kicked Zumba's butt. Haha!

But they are both soo much fun! :o)
  • TaraMaria
    This week will hopefully be my first day back to kickboxing since I tore my ACL and had surgery last november (turned wrong in class and it snapped!). I know I burn at least 750-850 calories in Zumba for 1 hours, so I am curious to see about kickboxing. I do the turbo kick boxing (TKB) that 24Hr fitness offers if it makes a difference :-)

I'm glad you are getting back to your old routine girl! Sorry to hear about your ACL... :o( Get a HRM if you don't already have one to see how much you burn! Its been educational for me to say the least! :o)
  • pamelasusan
    pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
    I have a Go Fit Wear and it says that I burn about 325-350 for 1/2 hour of step aerobics.....

I am going to bust out my Cathe Friedrich Kickboxing DVD's and test that out tomorrow!
  • I had a kickboxing class about a year ago that I LOVED. My instructor was hilarious. One day I was struggling getting into it, so everytime we did punches I imagined that I was punching an Ex of mine in the kisser. I guess I was so good my instructor came over to me and said "I don't know what it is with you today, but youre a superstar!!"
    HAHA so kickboxing is a GREAT outlet for anger ;)
  • TaraMaria
    SafariLara you made me LOL! Ha ha! It is so good for that exact reason! There have been a few times my husband has said, "Woah, you've got a bit of pent up there haven't you?" LOL! Tonight I did it and it felt so good to kick and punch, HARD! But when I did Zumba it felt good to relax into the moves and sweat away the calories. Yet I ended with more kickboxing...Haha!!!
This discussion has been closed.