Harder to cut after maintaining for a while?

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I lift 'heavy'. I mean, I fail by 8 reps (and typically have to take the weights down for the last set), so it's definitely heavy for me... I haven't been able to increase my weights for a while either. That's why I sorta assume I'm still eating at a deficit too.

You got it.

Eat at maintenance and you'll be able to keep making improvement.

Eventually that will stop too, because current muscle is tapped out.

You'll need more muscle - you get privilege of eating more to bulk! Yay.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I found it harder trying to go back to a cut, even a slight deficit. After cutting for so long, I'm tired of it. I'm at a healthy weight now - I'm going to maintain it for a while and see what happens in the fall.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance which is above 1900, but often eat more (in the 2000 to 2500 range). Sometimes I need to cut a bit. I do find it not easy. I am comfortable with day to day fluctuations of above and below maintenance. But, I also find a steady cut challenging now that I am at a low weight. But, for personal reasons I sometimes have trouble with a hungry feeling. I feel like I need food for energy. I cut at 1800 to 1900.
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've been more or less maintaining for a couple months, and I tried to cut a bit again so I can finally lose my last 3 pounds, and I find it very hard.

I did find it hard until I started being more strict with my food choices and focusing on healthy, whole foods and lots of fruits, veggies, and protein. Once I started focusing on eating healthier (I had gotten lazy and was eating some junk), it was easier to cut the calories b/c volume wise I eat more food when I make healthy choices.