Running with varicose veins

Options
I have been running for 8 years now. I average 20 miles per week most weeks and do triathlon in the summer so their is biking too. I have had varicose veins for longer than that starting when I was a teenager working at the Waffle House (I am not 38). I had always read/heard that if they are not painful, then no big deal.

A couple of years ago, I started wearing compression socks at my doctors suggestion. About 2 months ago, I started having cramps in the quad of my right leg (veins are much worse looking in this leg). Didn't think too much of it since I had just started cross training and speed work up again.

Anyhow, now the pain isn't much worse but goes all up and down my leg from mid quad to lower calf. Any run over a mile and it starts cramping. If I don't stop for walk breaks and push through, I've got one REALLY sore quad for the next couple of days. Even my last bike ride of only 12 miles I experienced pain on every down stroke of my right leg. Not enough to make me stop but what we runners call a "niggle." Also, my right leg feels weak the rest of the day after a decent workout. The only workout that doesn't hurt is swimming.

Long story shortened, I am trying to find some help that doesn't include going to the vascular surgeon which I am saving up f or but cannot afford right now. Thanks.