Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

vomiting during phase 1/induction phase

Hi all! I've just started dieting for the first time in my life. I'm 44 and not "naturally thin" anymore, and gained 18lb. this year. I started 2 1/2 months ago by simply eliminating gluten, cokes, and fruit juice. I've been addicted to coca cola all my life so that was a big step! I thought that cutting out all those carbs from coke and juice would help me lose weight, but it didn't. I've now cut out all grains for about a month now, but weight loss is extremely slow. So I've been reading a LOT about Atkins/Dukan/Ketogenic diets and have been trying to do the "induction" or phase 1 with almost nothing but protein and fat. But every time I start out, I vomit sometime between 10:00am-1:00pm! I've been eating only "real" food, starting off the day with a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil (I've been taking 2 tbsp a day for almost 2 months now, so I know that's not the culprit.) 2 boiled eggs, and string cheese. Then around "snack" time, I eat something high protein like 4 slices of turkey bacon or chicken breast, but I always vomit soon after. The only thing that makes me feel better is eating some carbs like a piece of fruit or something! I'm just trying to stay under 15g of carbs a day, but I have the stomach upset and a gnawing hunger all day (despite all the claims I've read of ppl doing these diets and never feeling hungry). I do drink lots of water and herbal tea, so I'm sure it's not dehydration. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    If ever there was a body that yelled, "don't do this!", yours is it. Any change in diet that involves serious vomiting is probably not a diet you want to follow. Slower acclimation to changes might help in the long run. I think measuring/weighing is a better route than initially making dramatic changes at the beginning. The investigative side is very important of course ("What am I actually eating"? "Do some foods keep me hungry?"). But gradual changes, so you can assess each one, might work out better.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    If ever there was a body that yelled, "don't do this!", yours is it. Any change in diet that involves serious vomiting is probably not a diet you want to follow. Slower acclimation to changes might help in the long run. I think measuring/weighing is a better route than initially making dramatic changes at the beginning. The investigative side is very important of course ("What am I actually eating"? "Do some foods keep me hungry?"). But gradual changes, so you can assess each one, might work out better.

^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS.

Reread.

Slow down. This is the rest of your life you're talking about.