Scale Vs Measuring Tape

Options
I need to buy a measuring tape and forget about the scale for a while. My scale(s) keep consistently reading between 5-10lbs more than my last recorded weight. I know that I didn't regain all that weight in 1 week because I'm now able to comfortably fit into clothes that couldn't a few weeks ago.... still its demotivating to see a marked increase in your weight! I was doing some reading and perhaps I need to increase (healthy) fats and protein in my diet..... what do you guys think?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear, so weigh weekly. Measurements are great—take photos, too.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Are the batteries in your scale fresh?
    Do you have access to another scale?
    Are you approaching menstruation?
  • Peaches160
    Peaches160 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    @ wheird Its a new scale
    I have a dial scale that's pretty old
    No I'm not close to menstruating
  • Peaches160
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear, so weigh weekly. Measurements are great—take photos, too.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Pretty good information.... Thks!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The scale can be a lying liar who lies.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    A scale should be used in conjunction with a measurement tape. Even still the both of those will not give the most accurate account of your weight loss efforts but something is better than nothing. The scale doesn't account for body composition (muscles, fat, bowels, hormones, water, etc.) so the best thing to do is record weights and measurements over a certain period of time, like a month, then look for a trend. If the trend goes down then you are meeting your goals, otherwise, you know the drill and should make adjustments to your plan.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I dropped a full size without losing anything on the scale. I laughed at my silly scale and went out to buy new jeans! :drinker:

I still weigh daily, but I also take measurements at least once a month for a better gauge of progress. Check Amazon for the Myo-Tape - makes measuring easier - it's a handy little thing to have.

pe_078.jpg
  • mnjlknight
    Options
    I prefer measuring over the scale!! MY SCALE is EVIL!!! :)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I dropped a full size without losing anything on the scale. I laughed at my silly scale and went out to buy new jeans! :drinker:

My scale hasn't moved in about 2 weeks but I dropped a pant size within that time.
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    I was wondering whether to ditch the scale too!
  • Peaches160
    Options
    I'm going take some pictures (periodically), continue logging everything I eat, start using a measuring tape..... and use the evil scale less frequently.
    You guys have been very helpful! Thk you:flowerforyou:
  • Peaches160
    Options
    The scale can be a lying liar who lies.

Love this quote!