How accurate is a HRM?

Options
Hi everyone, I've recently started using a Heart Rate Monitor to record calories burned in gym because didn't think the machines total was that accurate and I've been doi classes and mat exercises so needed a way to know how many calories I'm burning.

It's working pretty well the total just seems a bit lower than I would have expected but it probably is more accurate than the machines.

Just wanted to know what other peoples experiences of heart rate monitors for calories are? How accurate are they?

Thanks!!

Replies

• SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I don't mean to be rude, but there are already quite a few active threads on this topic that you can find with the search function.

In general heart rate monitors are very good for steady cardio work and some here would say useless for weight training. Also if your heart rate monitor can perform a fitness test then it is pretty accurate.

I have the Polar RCX5 multisportswatch with heart rate monitor strap and gps and I use it for everything, including weight training. It seems to be pretty accurate.
    Stef.