Operation Recovery, Help?

Options
Hello all,
I'm looking for advice from people who have gone through operations and then got back into fitness.
I had my appendix out 3 weeks ago and am really looking to get back into exercise.
Pre-op I was working out 5-6 times a week and the shock of cutting it all off is really getting to me.
I'm a bit worried because even walking can take it out of my at the moment.
How did you get back into fitness?
Any good exercises/ workouts? Don't think I can go straight back into my routines!
Hope there are a couple of tips out there,
Brie :)

Replies

• LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out 2 months ago and started running again 5 days post op. My surgeon said day 4 would be fine. If your still feeling tired I would listen to your body and rest up. Try going a couple of short walks instead of a longer walk. Break yourself back in gently. Did you not ask your surgeon at the time when you could exercise and what level/type you could do.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy... Laparoscopic is a lot easier than abdominal, so YMMV. Walking was my main form of exercise before the surgery and was prescribed to me for recovery; just walking around the block was a big freaking deal at first, but eventually I could walk a mile and a half or so at a time.

My surgeon cleared me to do "anything" within two weeks after the procedure. My reaction was grandma-cool-story-bro-240x180.jpg
    But half a week later, I was in the gym using the machines for low reps at very, very light weights. It seemed to help my recovery. I was able to climb stairs and do some body weight exercises about a week after that. I could run for ten minutes at a time about eight weeks post-op. I did my first free-weight lift ever, one set of eight reps deadlifting the empty bar, about ten weeks post-op.

What worked for me was dropping weight loss concerns like a hot rock during recovery. I didn't even think about calories for the first couple weeks post-op. I didn't log, I didn't worry, I just listened to my body and did what it told me. Whenever and whatever I could eat, I did. However much I could move without getting light-headed, I did. It was very little at first. Some days the fatigue or pain was too great to do much of anything, so I rested those days. It didn't make me gain at all; in fact, I lost my last few pounds during that timeframe (I mean, getting my lumpy uterus out probably accounted for some of that, but still).

So here's my suggestion based on my own experience: Once everything settles and heals up, you're in business. Don't aim for a deficit while your body is trying to repair itself. Give yourself the time and fuel you need to heal first, and don't shortchange your recovery. Before you know it, you'll be back on track and then some. You have plenty of time to drop a few pounds, but you only get one chance to heal up right from surgery.
  • brieskie
    brieskie Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I know I need to follow the doctors advice, but I was just looking for people who had gone through similar situations. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to talk to surgeons beforehand (extreme pain/morphine etc) and never got a "debrief" afterwards. The doctor has said "listen to my body", which I tried too, but over did it in the moment which set me back. I really appreciate your stories and pleased you were all able to get back into it!

Thanks for your experiences, I'll start making some of my own :)
    Hitting the gym slowly as of the weekend! Brie
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I'm currently recovering from my 2nd spine fusion (scoliosis). 1st was back in 2004. I have a new xray in my photos. I'm a distance runner so it's hard taking time off of running. But 2-4 more months and I'll be back out there. I bounce back extremely fast. Best of luck to you with you're recovery.
    My advice for you would be to listen to you're doc and start slow.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    I'm looking for advice from people who have gone through operations and then got back into fitness.
    I had my appendix out 3 weeks ago and am really looking to get back into exercise.
    Pre-op I was working out 5-6 times a week and the shock of cutting it all off is really getting to me.
    I'm a bit worried because even walking can take it out of my at the moment.
    How did you get back into fitness?
    Any good exercises/ workouts? Don't think I can go straight back into my routines!
    Hope there are a couple of tips out there,
    Brie :)

Don't mean to sound glib, but your doctor should be the only one advising you on this, as he keeps an eye on your post surgical progress.

If you want specifics, tell him exactly what your exercise routine was pre-surgery (# reps, amount of weight lifted, heart rate during cardio, length of workout, etc,) and ask him/her exactly how to pace an exercise comeback. When you're ready for physical activity again. Which doesn't sound like now since walking alone is challenging, as you say.

Passing out isn't uncommon when post-surgical patients who are very fit go beyond their limits during recovery.

This.

And. . .
    I ruptured my Achilles Tendon while cycling ( 25 miles daily) a few weeks ago. I had surgery to repair it on June 10th. i was in a weight less cast, and now I am in an orthopedic walking boot. However, until I have the stitches removed (July 7th) I can not walk on it; and even then, i will only be able to apply 50% of my weight. I am getting around on crutches and rented a "knee walker."

I highlighted the post above because it is important that your physician understand what your activity level was pre-surgery; and can advise you accordingly. I was fortunate to have an orthopedic surgeon who didn't have any pre conceived notions that because of my age (62), I wasn't especially active; and was quite empathetic to my situation of going from cycling, hiking,a nd swimming to nothing. The majority of people my age that I hang out with are either cycling, playing tennis, x-country sking, surfing, swimming -- you name it.

It is difficult psychologically and emotionally, but remember it is temporary. Pace yourself properly so that you heal without any glitches. Good luck!