Foods you don't count

Options

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I don't log coffee. I did just look up the calorie content of 8oz of black coffee on a google search and it says it's 1 calorie. So, a 12 cup pot of coffee would be 12 calories. Not worth logging.

What I should log is the non-dairy creamer I put in my coffee, at 10 cal a tsp. But I don't log that either.

I don't log artificial sweetener.

I don't log Diet Coke.

I don't log seasonings and spices nor the PAM spray I use to prevent my eggs from sticking to the pan.

I do log all low cal veggies and fruits I eat, though.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Think most people have said it coffee and kethup, I take my coffee black which has about 6 calories per cup.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Gum and mints, unless I chew or eat a LOT of them in one day. Which is rare.

I snack on marshmallows occasionally. I don't often count them.

I don't log my gummy vits, either.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Coffee
    Tea
    Sweetner
    Spices
    Celery
    *Basically if it doesn't have nothing to count..I don't.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything excet water, I refuse to log everytime I drink water.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    You don't count food, the foods counts you

Am eating my lunch as I type and imagining my banana counting..... One eater.
    No, wait she shared it with someone... 2 eaters.... :laugh:
  • jamesryanfletcher
    jamesryanfletcher Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't log Water, Diet Coke or my multi-vitamin supplement. I did log it once but all the categories I track on MFP read zero.
    At 1 kcal per 250 ml Diet Coke is pretty close to nothing.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    What are some foods/drinks (save zero calorie drinks) that you don't track calories for but know that they have calories?

-Coffee (black)
    -Seasonings/Spices
    -Leafy Greens
    -Sugar packets (to be fair, I only use 1 per day max but that's still about 15 cals)
    I would be careful with spices and seasoning. Garlic has 50 calories in it and so does my favorite Onion Steakhouse seasoning. Probably because it has garlic in it too.
  • w734q672
    w734q672 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    What are some foods/drinks (save zero calorie drinks) that you don't track calories for but know that they have calories?

-Coffee (black)
    -Seasonings/Spices
    -Leafy Greens
    -Sugar packets (to be fair, I only use 1 per day max but that's still about 15 cals)
    I would be careful with spices and seasoning. Garlic has 50 calories in it and so does my favorite Onion Steakhouse seasoning. Probably because it has garlic in it too.
    Shhh, you're going to offend the garlic. It's counting for you remember?
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I don't log my tea, and I don't always bother listing all the spices when I'm assembling a recipe if they're small quantities (like < 1 tsp). I do log everything else, even half a packet of stevia, one leaf of lettuce on a sandwich, or some mustard, but I don't bother being that precise about it. I just squirt some mustard and guess how much. I'm not tracking sodium, so it's not that important to me.

Adding: I'm also pretty lax about almond milk, since the variety I use is only 30 calories per cup. If I'm putting a tablespoon or so in, I'm not worried about measuring it.

I DO log ketchup, and I measure it (well, I weigh it, and I measured it enough to have a decent idea what 1 tbsp weighs), but mostly because I'm watching my sugar intake.
  • suiteblooms
    suiteblooms Posts: 100
    Options
    Spices have been mentioned... also mustard, and my 5 hour Energy addiction. At least one / day before my workout or when I haven't slept because of work. Never more than 2 / day, but even 2 is rare. Once in a while I have a busy / bad day and I eat out at places that I can't get nutrition info from. Worst case scenario I miss 1 - 2 days of logging. I guess it's still working though, because I'm in the best shape of my life.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options

-Coffee (black)
    -Seasonings/Spices
    -Leafy Greens
    Shhh, you're going to offend the garlic. It's counting for you remember?
    Hey I never said I stopped eating it. I just make sure to count it. :bigsmile:
  • w734q672
    w734q672 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    "I wish I could count like you"- w734q672
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

-Coffee (black)
    -Seasonings/Spices
    -Leafy Greens

Geez, how much garlic do you use? My garlic only has 4 cals per teaspoon, or 13 cals for 3 cloves, which means it might go up to 30 for one of my extra garlicky chicken recipes.
  • breakingfitter
    Options
    One thing no one's mentioned... I don't count whipped cream. I know it has about 15-20 cals in it but I can't bring myself to measure it out. Plus, it's kind of hard to measure how much fits in your mouth, if you know what i'm saying. It's my one "freebie" but I'm usually under my calorie goal by a couple hundred so I know it's not affecting my weight loss.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I saw a lot of people mention ketchup. I do measure mine, but I think I use rather a lot, especially if I'm dipping fries or something.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I log everything,even spices.Though mainly to keep track of my sodium intake.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'd totally track spices if I knew how many calories they have. But it's not on the bottle.

most of them are in the database though. I track spices - onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, thyme, dill, black pepper, etc. etc... it's never a lot of calories but it adds up.. Most of the ones I commonly use have an "MFP Official" entry - look them up under "spices - garlic powder" or whatever and you'll find them.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Coffee is probably the only thing with calories that I don't log, but to be fair, I really don't drink that much. Like, less thatn 3 cups a week probably.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything that weighs less than 1g.

But I always do log snacks that fit into my calories - whether I'm trying to lose weight or maintain, there's no point not logging something 'because it fits' because then when you look back at your average calorie intake over the last 30 days or so you're not going to have accurate information about intake and output. If I want to maintain I need to know how many calories I actually ate and what effect that had, not numbers that make it look like I ate less.