WW points to calories? How many calories a day should I eat?

Options
I lost 18lbs on weight watchers for my wedding last year. I decided to come back to My Fitness Pal because I gained back most of the weight from our honeymoon and vacation. I was allotted 26 points so I am wondering how many calories I should give myself a day.. Right now, I am starting at 1400. Is that a good number?

I am:
5"1'
146lbs
age 23

Thanks!

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    1400 is probably fine. WW points average around 40 each but they vary, based on fat and fiber content of foods. And if you just multiply it out, you'd need more than 26*40=1040 because you have to add in weekly points and produce calories. So it'd be more like 1040+280(WP)+300(produce)=1620 calories/day (more if you use Activity Points, less if you don't eat weeklies or eat less produce than that).

Probably simpler to just pick a calorie level in the 1400 range and run with it. Though if you like the incentive to eat produce and more high fiber foods, there is also a script you can install that makes MFP calc WW points.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    At your size, set your goal to .5 lb. per week, and be patient. The smaller deficit will help you transition to maintenance.

This post should be required reading: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Not sure. Im a gut. I did google a female caloric intake calculator and the basic data yiu put up minus activity level (didnt know activity level so I put it at lowest level which is basal metabolic rate)....it said 1356 cals per day.....for maintenance.....mfp should give you something also?
  • mikegerber1
    mikegerber1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am currently in weight watchers and doing my fitness pal. The info at weight watchers and the local support (WW at work group) are a big help to me. I currently am not watching points religiously but I know how that works. I've noticed some correlation with the points and calories with the macros at the bottom of my fitness pal. When I was double tracking with MFP and WW etools, I found that my points were kept pretty close to calculations with MFP as long as I kept under my calories and stayed close to the tracking at the bottom under the diary for carbs, sugars, protiens, etc. so now I just log with MFP and all seems to be going well. I have co-workers that use MFP and the are both under 5' 4" and are using 1200 calorie diets so depending on how much you want to loose and how fast, 1400 might be in line with your fitness goals.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Right now, I am starting at 1400. Is that a good number?

I punched in your stats in various calculators, and got varied results. My conclusion is that at 1400, you should be at a small deficit. So, if you're logging accurately, you should be losing. 1400 is probably a good starting point. I'd say to stick with that for a month or so, and see how it goes. You will probably have to drop lower, sooner or later, as you lose some weight.