Fell off the bandwagon :(

Options
So, after diligently watching my calories and exercises 5-6 times a week since February, I finally fell off the bandwagon. The last week I haven't tracked a single calorie and I think I've exercised maybe once. We went to Las Vegas for Father's Day weekend (surprise for my husband) and then it was my 4 year old's birthday, then my husband's birthday... all in one week! Buffets and cake and eating out.... oh my!!

Really hoping that a "cheat week" didn't mess up all my progress. I was down 4 pounds, over 4 inches and was feeling much stronger and toned... I'm afraid to step on the scale now or take measurements. Maybe I'll get back to normal routine and wait a week or two before weighing in. Ugh. I'm so disappointed in myself.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Listen.

What happens when you go somewhere where you can't diligently log everything? What happens wen Kim Jong Il attacks us with EMP bombs and we all have to learn to ride a horse?

It's called life, shake it off, realize that regardless of access to logging tools that you have to just make the best choices you can, and move on. You'll be fine, hell it was just a week. It happens, take it in stride. It doesn't invalidate everything you're doing, just may hopefully serve as a reminder to continue vigilance.
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    The bad news: You fell off the bandwagon last week.
    The good news: Another bandwagon leaves today.

Just get back on.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    If you don't, Kim Jong Il wins.

Don't little lil'Kim win. Ever.
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It happens to most people during the weight loss process, just put it behind you and climb back on. Log everything, even if you're eating rubbish, reintroduce exercise and get to it :) don't dwell on the last week, it's gone now so nothing you can do about it :D
  • jamesryanfletcher
    jamesryanfletcher Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about thins you can't change. Tomorrow is a new day and a new opportunity to do well.

Boycot the scales for a week if that makes you feel better, they aren't always the best measure of progress anyway, but go back to your good logging, eating and exercising habits. A one week break isn't going to set you back too far at all.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Even if you did gain a pound back, at least you are noticing it now and can do something before it gets out of hand. One week isn't too bad.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Why be disappointed? This lifestyle you've chosen should be sustainable, and not taking time out for celebrations and vacations isn't reasonable for the long term.

I look at it this way: You can't derail your progress, you can only delay reaching your goal. If you normally have a 500 calorie deficit per day, and you overeat by, for example, 7000 calories, then you've delayed reaching your goal by two weeks (500 calories per day for 14 days equals 7000 cals). Two weeks is no big deal.

Edited for spelling
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    It happened.
    It's okay.
    Do better today.
    <3
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time haha, important thing is to not give up!!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Let go of the disappointment. It happens. Really, one week is a drop in the ocean. Just get back on track.

Different things work for different people, but I found it helpful to stop looking at it as being "on the wagon". It's just life. Your topic title implies that you've failed somehow. That you've done so well in keeping going for this long... and now you've fallen and undone all that good work. "Finally". As if you were kind of waiting for it to happen all along.

You are just living your life. Some days you'll eat more, some less. Some weeks you'll be diligent and disciplined, some weeks you won't. Really when you look at it, it's usually a question of whether you're in your usual routine or not. You didn't cheat, you didn't fail, you didn't make the past few months of eating well and exercising regularly not count. You enjoyed (I hope you enjoyed!) a week of celebrations and tasty food.

Get back to your normal routine. Forget "maybe". Just do it. Just a note of caution though - if your "normal" routine was a tad too restrictive; if you felt like falling off the wagon was inevitable at some point, because it was just too hard to keep up... consider tweaking things a bit to make it more liveable-with. Nothing wrong with exercising 5-6 times a week if you really enjoy it, but if you're getting a bit burnt out, try 4 times a week instead. Or try more varied forms of exercise. Have a look at your eating habits and check whether you're being too restrictive or not. Have you cut calories too low? Have you stopped eating all the foods you really enjoy? If this isn't just about losing 10 lbs, but sustaining a healthier lifestyle indefinitely, you need to make sure it's something you can truly live with, so you don't always feel like you could fall off the proverbial wagon at any moment.

Otherwise: just get back to it! Get back in your routine. Ignore the scale for a week or so if it bothers you, and just keep going.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    What if I told you there was no bandwagon? No finish line?

There is only a constant adjustment to obstacles and a commitment to a healthy life. You are doing it right.

If you're getting burned out with your exercise, you need to change your exercise to hobbies you enjoy so it doesn't feel like a chore. The key isn't less; it's not thinking of it as a chore. If you found a hobby that you loved that made you feel alive, or several, you would be happy to have them as part of your life. They would also help you relieve stress and curb emotional eating.
  • mombie2six
    mombie2six Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone! Great advice here and I don't feel so horrible about my little slip up anymore. I really felt like a week of no exercise and not watching the calories would have detrimental effects on my body, but I think I just felt sluggish and yucky because I have gotten used to the exercise and healthier eating, not because I gained weight back or anything. I'm back on my regular routine as of yesterday, so here's to being back on the proverbial bandwagon (if there is one!) :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Why be disappointed? This lifestyle you've chosen should be sustainable, and not taking time out for celebrations and vacations isn't reasonable for the long term.

I look at it this way: You can't derail your progress, you can only delay reaching your goal. If you normally have a 500 calorie deficit per day, and you overeat by, for example, 7000 calories, then you've delayed reaching your goal by two weeks (500 calories per day for 14 days equals 7000 cals). Two weeks is no big deal.

Edited for spelling
    Pretty much this. I think it would help if we stopped thinking of it as something we can fall off of (and especially a wagon). This is your LIFE. If your improved health is going to be part of your LIFE, you need to consider it part of your life. Celebrations and stressors are as well.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    when i've done that i've gotten on the scale, it gets me back on track with a quickness. just because you dont weigh yourself doesnt mean you didnt put on lbs :)
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    The bad news: You fell off the bandwagon last week.
    The good news: Another bandwagon leaves today.

Just get back on.

I love this!