Weights or Ristance Band Better?

Options
Caper88
Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
I am just wondering if it is better to use hand weights or a resistance band while doing workout dvds? Particularly 21 Day Fix. Just wondering which way is better? My over all goal is to loose body fat and build strength and endurance. I don't want bulky muscles that do nothing.

Replies

• Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Opinions anyone?
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't know and can't really help, but I would also be interested in the answer.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I use both as they both have value.
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    When I did Chalean extreme *yea yea it's supposed to be for women, sue me* I started with some overpriced resistance bands. I just bought the biggest set they sold thinking I would go through the weight. Surprisingly you still get an intense workout with them. I personally don't like them anymore though. They can be awkward and clunky to work with throwing off form. It is still much cheaper than a full set of free weights but I now enjoy them much more than bands. It's all preference.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    They each have their value. Resistance bands are great if you are limited on storage space, are traveling and don't want to carry heavy weights with you to be able to workout wherever, or are focused strictly on endurance. Free weights will be needed to see drastic changes in the muscles such as strength and size improvements. Don't get me wrong, some resistance bands are very "heavy" and hard to do, but even the "extra heavy" set from the gym supplier we use is an endurance workout for those who are accustomed to lifting heavy. That being said, sometimes we need an endurance workout to shake things up or have an unloading week. I use them both personally and with my personal training clients. I also throw in kettlebells, sandbags, ropes, chains, etc. to keep the workouts from getting boring.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Firstly, you won't ever get "bulky" from any of the fitness dvd's available.

Seeing as how their are typically many different exercises in these dvd's I'd go for the resistance band as they are very versatile.

The best thing you can do with one is hang from chin up bar and use it for assistance. I use this method with many women to go from no chin-ups to chin-ups for reps (and in some cases added weight)