Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Venting about Calorie Intake...Weekend Binges!

I have so many people telling me that I need to up my calories weekly to get more of my snacks in during the week so that I don't binge so much on the weekends but I feel so much better eating on the lower end during the week so that if I have a bad Friday night or Saturday night, it won't affect me as bad. I also feel eating lower because I feel that since I have like 45 more lbs to lose, I can get there faster eating less and then maybe eating more once closer to goal. This year has been a failure for me period. I have lost nothing & there is alot to blame for it. Consistency for me is the main thing. I also feel that me allowing myself more calories daily can be bad because it also gives me more room to add bad things daily. I am already NOT losing consistently so adding more food surely is NOT gonna help that. My Bmr is like 1601 and Tdee-20% is like 1760 so I could eat about 1650-1700 daily. I'd never hit that daily without having bad stuff also. Just being honest. Currently I am trying to stick to 1400. I am also very short so I feel that is just too much food for a shortie with so much to lose like myself.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    You claim consistency is key, while attempting to rationalize inconsistent eating. :huh:
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Confusing post is confusing . . . not trying to be mean, but I'm trying to figure out what the theme of your comment might be. Who is telling you to up your calories? Why are they telling you to up your calories? Why is it important for you to get your snacks in? What does getting your snacks in during the week have to do with "binges" on the weekend? Why would eating more or less "affect you bad" and what does you needing to lose 45 pounds quickly have to do with anything? For that matter, why would you want to lose quickly when upping your calories would accomplish everything you want (snacks and avoiding "binges")? What difference would losing weight more slowly make to your "failure for [you] period?" Why would you necessarily add more "bad" things by having more calories? What does being short have to do with you eating 1600 calories? Height is only part of the equation: age and activity level have something to do with it, too, as does your current weight and other variables.

Most of all, what are you trying to accomplish with this post? Your title says it's a vent about weekend binges, but that's not what I'm getting from it.

Thanks.
  • kenthepainter
    kenthepainter Posts: 195 Member
    Follow what MFP tells you to eat, If your not losing maybe you set your daily activity level too high in your profile settings. Try not to play the numbers game too much ie : eat less during the week and more on week end, just confuses things. Maybe when you get to goal you'll learn how to have some indulgences. Be as accurate as possible with calorie logging, get a scale if you don't have one.
  • SSims230
    SSims230 Posts: 1
    If you have trouble not "binging" on weekends, then keep a consistent balanced diet during the week. Work out harder during the week also. On the weekends, allow yourself to indulge but don't over do it. This balance will still allow you to lose weight but you won't be so stressed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I eat 'bad' stuff every day, that's how I reach my calorie goal. There's no 'bad' food if it fits your calories.
    But yeah, I have a lower goal too so that it's not a big deal if I eat a bit more once a week.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    There was nutrition professor who told his students that calorie counts matter in weight loss NOT nutrition, he wasn't trying to get people to eat more junk food, just to understand that weight loss is simple math.. calories in must be less than calories out period. To prove this he ate a diet of "twinkies"(junk food) essentially , stayed within his calorie goals and lost 27 POUNDS....

here is the link to the article

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

The idea is to stay within your calorie range, get in exercise and you will lose weight. I too allow myself "bad" foods if it is within my range, if not I either don't have it or make sure I have the exercise calories to use. I have cleaned up my diet probably 90% of the time now as I have gotten more educated but dieting is simple math..nothing more, nothing less. and I have lost almost 40 pounds. YES you should eat a healthy diet, plenty of vegetables etc...and I do that.. but I also allow myself the occasional treat too, I just make sure I am always within my calorie range, not over and exercise in some form every day
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    There was nutrition professor who told his students that calorie counts matter in weight loss NOT nutrition, he wasn't trying to get people to eat more junk food, just to understand that weight loss is simple math.. calories in must be less than calories out period. To prove this he ate a diet of "twinkies"(junk food) essentially , stayed within his calorie goals and lost 27 POUNDS....

The idea is to stay within your calorie range, get in exercise and you will lose weight. I too allow myself "bad" foods if it is within my range, if not I either don't have it or make sure I have the exercise calories to use. I have cleaned up my diet probably 90% of the time now as I have gotten more educated but dieting is simple math..nothing more, nothing less. and I have lost almost 40 pounds. YES you should eat a healthy diet, plenty of vegetables etc...and I do that.. but I also allow myself the occasional treat too, I just make sure I am always within my calorie range, not over and exercise in some form every day
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Not necessary! No help needed from you. You could have kept all this to yourself!
    Confusing post is confusing . . . not trying to be mean, but I'm trying to figure out what the theme of your comment might be. Who is telling you to up your calories? Why are they telling you to up your calories? Why is it important for you to get your snacks in? What does getting your snacks in during the week have to do with "binges" on the weekend? Why would eating more or less "affect you bad" and what does you needing to lose 45 pounds quickly have to do with anything? For that matter, why would you want to lose quickly when upping your calories would accomplish everything you want (snacks and avoiding "binges")? What difference would losing weight more slowly make to your "failure for [you] period?" Why would you necessarily add more "bad" things by having more calories? What does being short have to do with you eating 1600 calories? Height is only part of the equation: age and activity level have something to do with it, too, as does your current weight and other variables.

Most of all, what are you trying to accomplish with this post? Your title says it's a vent about weekend binges, but that's not what I'm getting from it.

Thanks.
  • Allup2Me78
    Thanks! :)
    I eat 'bad' stuff every day, that's how I reach my calorie goal. There's no 'bad' food if it fits your calories.
    But yeah, I have a lower goal too so that it's not a big deal if I eat a bit more once a week.
  • Allup2Me78
    Thanks. I will look into this!

• Allup2Me78
    Thanks for your reply.
    If you have trouble not "binging" on weekends, then keep a consistent balanced diet during the week. Work out harder during the week also. On the weekends, allow yourself to indulge but don't over do it. This balance will still allow you to lose weight but you won't be so stressed.
  • Allup2Me78
    Thanks for the advice.
    Follow what MFP tells you to eat, If your not losing maybe you set your daily activity level too high in your profile settings. Try not to play the numbers game too much ie : eat less during the week and more on week end, just confuses things. Maybe when you get to goal you'll learn how to have some indulgences. Be as accurate as possible with calorie logging, get a scale if you don't have one.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Not necessary! No help needed from you. You could have kept all this to yourself!

Thanks.

This is actually a really helpful response. Just because it wasn't phrased how you expected or wasn't what you wanted to hear doesn't mean there aren't some relevant and thought provoking questions being asked.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    I would go by what MFP tells you your daily calories should be. I personally am not going to restrict my diet unless I know that I'm not going to ever eat that item again. The only thing that I have taken out of my diet for the past two years has beeen anything deep fried, & regular sodas & juices. Everything else is in moderation, if I want pizza, I make sure that the day I'm going to eat pizza that I've done a good solid walk and I'll limit the other things that I have during to day to make pizza fit. I have a terrible sweet tooth and I love a good piece of cake, a good cookie or donut, etc....so I really have to watch myself with things like that but I won't cut them completely out of my diet. I think that if you consitently exercise, and be honest with yourself about what you're eating, you'll be able to meet your goals! Feel free to add me as a friend if you like! Good Luck on your journey!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member

Thanks.

This is actually a really helpful response. Just because it wasn't phrased how you expected or wasn't what you wanted to hear doesn't mean there aren't some relevant and thought provoking questions being asked.

I would second this. Digging for the route of the issue involves provoking questions.

I'll piggy back and ask - Why do you need to lose so rapidly? Are you stepping on stage to be critiqued by judges by a certain date? Are you planning on doing a photo shoot? Probably not.

So take your time... You're more apt to stick to it and be successful with a slow and steady approach. Why not try a higher intake and a slower approach just to see what the results are? Honestly, whats the worst that will happen... you lose at a slower pace?

I assume you're familiar with the Tortoise and the Hare?
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Just started using this app myself so just from personal experience here. Previously lost 67lbs before becoming pregnant at 39. I suffer from PCOS so don't worry. LOL. I allow myself some things. Used to eat those lower fat/lower sugar versions of chocolate turtles so I wouldn't feel so deprived in the long run. I was borderline diabetic in the beginning. Have always loved my sugar, pasta, and breads.
    As long as your not trying to save up week calories to binge those lost calories later you should be okay. My first day I ate a piece of "German Chocolate Pie" from K&W 695 calories; could have kicked myself. Went over my daily by 312. :( Good luck.
  • Allup2Me78
    Thanks! I just have to learn that if I don't have the calories for it then that means no but I also need to find a good calorie balance for myself where I am not to deprived but also not too high where I don't lose weight
    I would go by what MFP tells you your daily calories should be. I personally am not going to restrict my diet unless I know that I'm not going to ever eat that item again. The only thing that I have taken out of my diet for the past two years has beeen anything deep fried, & regular sodas & juices. Everything else is in moderation, if I want pizza, I make sure that the day I'm going to eat pizza that I've done a good solid walk and I'll limit the other things that I have during to day to make pizza fit. I have a terrible sweet tooth and I love a good piece of cake, a good cookie or donut, etc....so I really have to watch myself with things like that but I won't cut them completely out of my diet. I think that if you consitently exercise, and be honest with yourself about what you're eating, you'll be able to meet your goals! Feel free to add me as a friend if you like! Good Luck on your journey!
  • Allup2Me78
    Basically, I am NOT losing at all. So my whole point was that I am needing to find a balance. I am scared to eat more during the week and then I feel as if I won't be able to splurge more on the weekends or have a cheat meal. I really just need to learn that if is not in my calorie range, I can not have it. Period..but again, I have to find a good calorie range for myself

Thanks.

I would second this. Digging for the route of the issue involves provoking questions.

I'll piggy back and ask - Why do you need to lose so rapidly? Are you stepping on stage to be critiqued by judges by a certain date? Are you planning on doing a photo shoot? Probably not.

So take your time... You're more apt to stick to it and be successful with a slow and steady approach. Why not try a higher intake and a slower approach just to see what the results are? Honestly, whats the worst that will happen... you lose at a slower pace?

I assume you're familiar with the Tortoise and the Hare?
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    OP, are you still logging on the weekends? If you are, then you can keep an eye on your weekly calorie goal, and see if you have room for those extra weekend indulgences.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    I'm another "shortie." It's hard to build up a big calorie deficit when we small people require fewer calories to begin with. So I hear you.

I plan for snacks. Snacks keep me on course. Snacks (and coffee) keep my brain functioning.

Protein + Produce = Snack. I avoid processed carbs, which for me tend to increase my appetite for--yup--more carbs.

I try to keep breakfast and lunch to about 300 calories each, snacks to a total of 300 calories. That leaves me with 300-800 calories for dinner, depending on how much exercise I get.

Also, this is a game of averages, so if I've kept up a good deficit during the week, if there's a party or church potluck on the weekend, I don't sweat it too much. I just try to avoid obvious calorie bombs and excess alcohol. And maybe I'll treat myself to an extra half-hour on my Sunday beach walk.

BTW, I also have the best results staying around 1400 calories, maybe 1600-1700 on a Slack Day.