What to do about weight

Options
Bit of a random topic tbh but after getting b***hed at by everything for being OBESE i'm wondering what my ideal weight should actually be. I'm 5'9 and broad but my weight charts say i should be 11-12stone. However when i was a size 10 in the past i weighed 13.5stone and i looked anorexic! Sunken eyes and cheeks and everything. And even then it said i was over weight :'(. I'm currently 16.7 stone and and trying to get down to 16stone to start things off and am looking into toning for the moment rather than rapid weight loss. But i'm wondering what do people think. Do i just get to a healthy LOOKING weight and ignoring everything b***hing at me or do i try and get to the weight the chart and everything else says i should be?

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Ideal weight for height is figured out based on averages. Different people with different body types will find that sometimes they do not fit the bill. Me for instance, I am 6'1 and my "ideal weight" is 144-181. In my profile picture I weigh 195 which puts me in the overweight category. For me to be in the middle of the "ideal weight" category at about 155 lbs, not only would I need to lose 100% of the fat in my body (not physically possible) I'd also have to lose some lean mass. Moral of the story, lose enough weight so you are healthy and happy with how you look. Don't let some silly chart dictate that to you.
  • nicolemtracy
    nicolemtracy Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    These charts are more of a guideline. There's no one fit all because everyone is built differently. Find a health facility near you that has a body pod. These machine will accurately measure your body composition to figure out what a healthy BMI and weight range is right for you. I don't know if I can post l;inks or not, but here's some info about it. http://ybefit.byu.edu/Portals/88/Documents/How Does The BOD POD Work.pdf
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    BMI is not 'accurate' if you have a lot of muscle.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Get a body fat percentage check with a doctor or relevant expert :)
    For example my gym Nuffield is also a private healthcare unit so they will do this for members of the gym for free, its worth checking.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I cannot use a body pod because of the eletro magnetic fields generated by this type of device. It is because I have an implantable cardioverter defibrillator or ICD for short. My body fat would have to be measured by the skin fold caliper method...
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Dehydration can cause sunken eyes, hollow face, sharp nose, shriveled lips, shrunken breasts-- at ANY age. If you do not consume enough salt your body cannot retain water and the tissues in your face and breasts will shrink so be sure not to skimp on salt. But the BMI chart does not reflect every person's best weight. I would be too skinny at 104 and WAY too fat at 144 although according to BMI either of those extremes would qualify as healthy. The BMI healthy weight range probably includes most people's ideal weights. Not everyone's. Especially if someone wants to look model-thin and wear size 0-- those people are not going to be what BMI says to weigh. If you are not dehydrated, and you don't look good at "healthy" BMI weight, certainly you should disregard the BMI.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't generally have problems with dehydration and my boobs could do with a bit of shrinkage lol. I take a lot of medications so i normally have to make sure i'm drinking enough anyway. I have problem with having too much water retention so have actually been told to drink less than the recommended limit which is 8 pints, i'm only meant to have between 4-6 a day or i get bloated and ill. Think i'm just going to ignore the charts and see how i feel when i get there. If i'm happy with how i look and i look healthy then stuff them saying otherwise ^_^
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Uk size 10 at over 13 stones?? That surprises me as I am 5'10 and I was a Uk 10 when I was 10.5 stone. I am currently 9 stone 5 myself and I do not have a small build by any means, and I have a lot of lean mass.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Only person who can tell you what goal weight you want to be is yourself, its you who has to live in it no one else. When I started off I set my goal purely based on BMI just so I had an idea of where I should be. As Ive got closer to my goal ive started to ignore the weight of the scale and just go about decreasing bf% till Im happy with the way I look.

So set what goals you want, just BMI as a guide but its not the be all and end all.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Maybe take your measurements and think about what is reasonable for you to archive by using your measurements. I chose a weight goal and measurements that I hoped to achieve (waist and hips, wish I could have upped chest and height). This has helped me to not so much focus on the scale.

It can be hard to pick a goal weight, I believe that the older one gets that it may not be reasonable to seek a weight from the past and also if one is adding any exercise and muscle mass your body may be smaller but weigh more.

Based on my BMI, even at goal I would still be overweight - but my doctor and I are okay with that!