New UK Weightwatchers - ProPoints

Options
Can someone advise me as to what this is all about? I think it's upping protein? I'm curious to know how I would 'work' t he new system, so any advice would be good. The original WW got my weight down and while I'm on here now counting calories, I'd like to bear the new WW in mind, if I can. Think it's still based on height/weight/age for the points allocation? (I'm 5'1", 8st 5lbs (that's 117lbs for the Americans) and 35). I actually think the new UK system is the existing US system?

Thanks muchly all! :)

Replies

• marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    From what I have read... the pro points assigns point values as before but with a different focus... Protein and whole grains would have fewer points because the body uses up more energy to break down and process these food... so the outcome is different even if you ate the same calories in other types of foods. That is about all i know.
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this too... There doesn't seem to much information on the internet atm. Is the new propoints a version of no count, full choice or something completely new?
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I THINK it accounts for fibre and carbs as well as sat fat and calories now, so where a Galaxy and a bit of salmon maybe were pointed the same before, in theory the salmon'd be less now (that's an example, by the way, certainly not necessarily the case), and wholegrain pasta's fewer propoints than white for the same amount. Again, this is what I think. But I'm looking for specifics now as if I buy WW stuff in the supermarket, it'll be the new points, and I don't know how many I should be on, etc.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I've had a look at it and whereas the old system cared about calories and saturated fat to calculate a points value for a food, now when you want to work out points you put in carbs, fat, protein and fibre (note - they no longer ask for calories). So I think they are moving away from a 'number of calories from fat' calculation to a more rounded calculation based on multiple factors.

C
  • owengem
    owengem Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi. I know a few people that started the pro points this wk.
    The new set up does NOT account for calories. The new things that are used to calculate the points value are total fat, fiber, protein and carbs. It's apparently to allow for some foods being harder to digest than others and therefore your body puts more effort in to eating them and they have a lower point value.
    ALL fruit is now free but some veg has a points value. ALL points values have changed and almost all the points values have gone up. BUT you are allowed more points each day.
    For example, my boy used to be allowed 27 points/day but now he's allowed 35. But where a fishfinger used to be 1 point it's now 2. And a bottle of normal coke is now 6points.
    And there's also a weekly pot of points that you can take from and exercise points still exist.

Basically everything we have ever known about ww has changed. If you've ever done it in the past then you neex to forget the points values you already know and re-learn everything.
    They must have changed it for a reason and it'll be v interesting to see the results.

Good luck everyone x
  • Moonboots100
    Moonboots100 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The new set up does NOT account for calories. The new things that are used to calculate the points value are total fat, fiber, protein and carbs. It's apparently to allow for some foods being harder to digest than others and therefore your body puts more effort in to eating them and they have a lower point value.
    ALL fruit is now free but some veg has a points value. ALL points values have changed and almost all the points values have gone up. BUT you are allowed more points each day.
    For example, my boy used to be allowed 27 points/day but now he's allowed 35. But where a fishfinger used to be 1 point it's now 2. And a bottle of normal coke is now 6points.
    And there's also a weekly pot of points that you can take from and exercise points still exist.

Basically everything we have ever known about ww has changed. If you've ever done it in the past then you neex to forget the points values you already know and re-learn everything.
    They must have changed it for a reason and it'll be v interesting to see the results.

Good luck everyone x

Hey Gem, this is about right actually! I clerk at Weight Watchers, so tonight I will get all the info, and Ill try and post on here what I can for reference for people. But youre right, everything is changing. I get the impression its going to be similar to logging on MFP, but not sure.
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Good luck everyone x
    This is what I understood fro the article I read. the only thing I read about how much one can use is average female is allowed 29 points... but what the actual calc is don't know. best wishes.
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pitapocket
    Options

Good luck everyone x

Hey Gem, this is about right actually! I clerk at Weight Watchers, so tonight I will get all the info, and Ill try and post on here what I can for reference for people. But youre right, everything is changing. I get the impression its going to be similar to logging on MFP, but not sure.

Could you please fill us in on how the new system will work. I am a lifetime member of weight watchers in Canada, and this is the first I've heard of this new system. I'm really curious. Thanks
  • Moonboots100
    Moonboots100 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well I have just got back from weight watchers, and as Owengem stated, almost all fruit and veg are free- including bananas!. A standard female will have 29 points per day (the lowest that it will ever be for anyone), and 49 weekly bonus points to pull from (weve nicknamed these 'pig-out points'!). You can still earn exercise points. You cant carry over any points from each day so use them or lose them. Your weekly allowance can be used any way, by a few here and there, or all at once on top of your daily allowance, or split equally to add an additional 7 to your daily allowance, but again use them or lose them

Basically it is no longer counting cals, just fibre, carbs, protein and fat. The higher the fibre and protein content, the LOWER the points will be and vice versa. It does NOT count calories at all. "your body has to work harder to process protein and fibre-rich foods than it does to process foods that contain alot of carbohydrate and fat. The harder it works the more energy it uses from the food itself"

An example in the booklet we got was that bacon, tomato, 2 fried eggs, mushrooms and a banana and strawberry smoothie is now 8 points, where as two thick slices of toast with marmalade and a latte coffee is 14 points. Makes me shudder!!!! Its just turned upside down what our minds have been trained into thinking is the healthier option!!!

I cant tell you how it is all calculated as you get like a slider thing, or you buy the calculator.

The rebranding of the food products on the shelves will not change until January 2011.

That about it!! that is all from my file I got tonight.
  • pitapocket
    Options
    I googled propoints calculator and found this site that allows you to figure out the points. I don't know how well this new program will work, not everyone does well on high protein and low carbs, I for one need my carbs. I will check it out more closely when it comes to Canada. Thanks you very much for the information.

http://www.wijvallenaf.nl/Weight-Watchers/ProPoints-Calculator.html
  • takethepieces
    Options
    I googled propoints calculator and found this site that allows you to figure out the points. I don't know how well this new program will work, not everyone does well on high protein and low carbs, I for one need my carbs. I will check it out more closely when it comes to Canada. Thanks you very much for the information.

http://www.wijvallenaf.nl/Weight-Watchers/ProPoints-Calculator.html

I don't think it makes a significant difference to the points. For example, a protein rich quorn steak (1.5 to 3) has now doubled but my bag of mini oreo cookies has only gone up by 1 point (from 2 to 3), so I don't think it's necessarily protein good, carbs bad. And, as always on WW, you can spend your points on whatever you want.

Yesterday for tea, I had 1 peppered quorn steak, with a Tesco light choices 225g baked potatoe with 30g extra light phillidelphia and boiled carrots with 1 tsp clover lighter...this would normally come to 6 points - it now comes to 10 propoints. I started off with 24 points a day (I saved 4 and always ate 20 points), I now have 35 propoints and the 49 weekly propoints. I had my 20 points as usual yesterday, but calculated the propoints just to see and it worked out as 35 on the dot, so I don't think it'll be too much harder to stick to or anything and no points means you can always snack on fruit now!

I've been hearing people get quite a high loss in their first week - does anyone have experience of this?
  • pitapocket
    Options
    Please keep me informed on how you are doing on the propoints. Thanks.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Figured as I started this topic, I'd give you the little extra info/signposting I have. I sent off the the Deluxe Pack which gives you a new Eating Out guide (ProPoints for Chinese, Italian, etc), shopping guide (general household info), calculator and tape measure, etc. I think it's invaluable but haven't used it all that much yet as to be honest, I'm still calorie-counting on here.

I subscribe (free) to the WeightWatchers message boards (www.weightwatchers.co.uk and go to 'community' then 'message boards') where loads of people post questions and answers (and plenty of non-WW topics) about food, points, exercise, etc. On there I discovered a general rule of thumb calculator-less people have used and they say it's 99% accurate when they check against a new calculator - take the calories of the product, e.g. 400 kcals. Divide by 40 (any number of calories, not just 400: same goes for 1000, etc - just easier for me to calculate!) which gives you 10. 10 will be the approriate ProPoints value of that product. So 800 kcals would be 20.

That's my WW news for you. I'm kinda scared to go over, though love t he idea as I'm often really hungry on 1200kcals per day here, but already eat loads of fruit/veg which I calorie count or previously points-counted, so I do worry that I'll begin eating too much and gaini weight: I've fought really hard to get to where I am and have The Fear of putting it back onn. Might give eating more a wee try though, within the confines of ProPoints.

Happy MPFing, WWing, whatever-ing.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm on the online version of WW for the US and we haven't started it yet. It says it'll start next week for us. Right now the calculators are the same as before.

I'm kind of worried they don't use calories, though. Really, it's cals in and cals out that make the biggest difference in most, if not all, studies that have been done. Think about the guy who did the "Twinkies" diet - he lost weight, even though he was eating junk food, because he restricted his calorie intake. Granted, he may not have been healthy, but at least he didn't gain weight! (I read that his cholesterol was good, too, which was weird with the kinds of food he was eating),

I have been wondering about the idea of the resistant starches though, because something that's harder to digest will keep you feeling fuller longer, supposedly.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Okay....we all have about 29 points. I haven't used all mine today, although I probably could have if I worked hard at it, and I burned around 800 cals in exercise (took off 200 cals just in case the HRM is inaccurate for part of the time - the reading for a 25 minute cardio-stretching+2 ballet classes at pretty intense level was over 1000 cals).

Will I go into "starvation mode" if I don't eat all 29 points???
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the new calculations not taking calories into consideration. Since they've added fat and protein into the mix, the calories are there...they're just hiding. :smile:
  • sim247
    sim247 Posts: 354
    Options
    Bump!
  • BellaCoconut
    Options
    BUMP!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    "Will I go into "starvation mode" if I don't eat all 29 points??? "

No you won't. You eat until you are satisfied. If you have a point or two left over I wouldn't worry about it.

"I'm kind of worried they don't use calories, though"

I am a lifetime member of WW. I have been at goal for 2 years now. When I was losing the weight, one thing I did notice, that the type of calories I took in did make a difference. During the period of Christmas and Easter, when I used my points for candy and cookies, my weight loss slowed down dramatically. I still stayed within my point allowance but chose to have a handful of jelly beans or a cookie instead of an apple. It showed on the scale. I did not gain weight but the loss slowed down. As soon as I returned to healthier choices the weight loss returned. I think this is what WW is trying to address. An healthier intake does make a difference.