BEST Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I'm thinking about getting a heart rate monitor to better keep track of my calories burned. My personal trainer recommended one that they sell at the gym because you can program your own information in if I wanted to do this test thing at the gym, but its $150 and I think I could get one just as good for cheaper.

Any recommendations??

Thanks!!!

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I LOVE it! You input your info of course (weight, height) It keeps track of what you done and stores it for you in it..you can purchase a transmitter separately to transfer the info to your comp, I personally don't think I need this as i just input it on here. But it came with a chest strap. I got mine for about $70 I think at Target. Best purchase I've made all year I think!
  • xxPeppaxx
    xxPeppaxx Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Was wondering the same thing..a friend of mine got one from amazon.com for like $75
  • rcrews4
    rcrews4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use a Sportline brand watch/monitor that I purchased at ****'s Sporting Goods for around $70. You program it with your personal info (age, weight, daily activity level) as well. Lots of different functions available - tracking heart rate, calories burned, 7 day memory of workout burns, timer, etc. It has served me well for close to a year. Good luck to you!
  • monica1515
    Options
    I've used POLAR the last 6 years and I love it! Here's what I think the pro's are:

1. Keeps track of your workouts and comes with software to download them onto your computer.
    2. Works without the watch - so if you wear the heart strap without the watch, the machine you are on will still pick up your HR and show up on the machine.
    3. Keeps me on task during my workouts.
    4. Very precise with how many calories burned during exercise (excellent for calorie counting)
    5. Waterproof
    6. Good customer service
    7. Easy to program yourself

They are a little bit costly but a good investment in my opinion.

Good luck!
  • arbellas
    arbellas Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Monica, Which Polar do you use?
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    You can shop around, especially with Christmas sales coming, and find a better deal for something that will work for you.

My tips:

Look for a heart rate MONITOR watch, not a heart rate watch. The monitors have a constant feature that'll allow you to glance at your wrist to see either your heart rate in bpm or your heart range percentage (which is the easiest for those who, for instance, are working to build their cardio endurance/fitness). Heart Rate Watches usually require you to stop and touch them and wait for the heart rate (which by then, is dropping). Constant up to the second displays on the MONITOR watches are better.

Be sure that your choice displays not just the number of beats per minute (bpm) but the heart rate max percentage. Not many of us know at a glance that 161 may be 78%. I don't like to do the math so I like the watches that display the percentage of hr max. We trainers like folks to work out within a specific range and it's too much of a hassle in my experience, to ask people to remember the number that equates to specific ranges (e.g., 70%, 80%, 90%).

Remember that you can't upgrade your purchase. Sometimes it's smart to spend a little more to get the IDEAL watch. In my humble opinion, if you can afford it, there is nothing cooler or more motivating that the Heart Rate Monitor watches with GPS. These not only display HR information, but mileage and pace, as well. Yes, they're a bit more, but you can never change your basic model into a gps one. Why would you want the gps model? Well if you are inclined to be a walker or have ambitions to be a jogger, or if you like to hike, you can touch the button on your watch and it'll actually (via gps) record your mileage, and pace, and because they also monitor your hr, it can very specifically calculate your calorie burn (some better than others). When you're done, you can sync your watch information with a website that shows your "trip" including elevation climb, average pace, best pace, etc. It's kind of addicting. It can even calculate the mileage precisely when you walk the miles you walk in the mall while doing your Christmas shopping. Those are more expensive, but there are couple of good Garmin models that are below $200. I love these things for so many reasons and if there is any chance you would like be a walker or runner, these things are incredibly motivating. Just be sure, if you look for these, that you are getting one with both the GPS and the heart rate monitor in one unit (will include a chest strap).

Hope that helps you out!

-- Robin
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a sportsline universal combo at wal-mart for about $50. I just bought it yesterday but I do know it allows you to program gender, age, weight, height and set zone for your heart rate. I read the reviews and they seem good.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar F6 and would recommend to anyone. You can program in your information and set your zones.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in these too.
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    I have a polar f6. I've only used it a couple times but i love it. last night i set it to display my calories burning as i was doing my zumba class. Knowing the generic aerobic number MFP calculated for my exercise gave me a gauge for about where I should be. I used it as a tool to push myself a little more, trying to get those numbers to match.

I'm also happy that I now know my true calorie burn. MFP calculations are slightly higher for me.
  • monica1515
    Options
    Sorry for the very late response (this is why the need a blackberry app)!

I use the Polar RS300X currently, for a little over a year now.

When I first started with HRT I used the Polar F6. Which worked great and never had any problems with. The F6 is a bit cheaper than the RS300X if your looking to spend a little less. If your trainer at the gym is trying to talk you into getting on, see if she has an employee code that she'll let you use. While I was personal training at LifeTime Fitness, that's what some of us did for our clients because we, as employees of the gym, do get a discount.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Monica
  • monica1515
    Options
    Man, I have quite a few errors in my last post. I should proof-read before I hit "Post Reply." Sorry!