Shoe inserts for shin/knee pain?

Options
Hello,

I have had shin/knee pain for about a year now and would really like for it to end so I can get on a workout routine and lose weight. I believe that this is a result of wearing unsupportive shoes all the time since I walk everywhere due to not having a car/living in an urban area. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations for shoe inserts for sneakers and for everyday shoes, and also brand suggestions for supportive, comfortable, but also stylish, shoes I can wear to work (I work in the fashion industry so I have to look presentable at work).

I have seen these ones online that look good to me for sneakers, has anyone used them?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097ACZCU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=FTW8XJ32IEHZ&coliid=I342W5YFSTF6KJ

Any other recommendations? Any and all advice is appreciated!

Also if anyone has any stretching/exercise recommendations for healing my shins and knees (it is at the point where I cringe if I look at anyone bending their knees) I would really appreciate that!

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    ive heard some good things about dr. scholls for shoe inserts but they are no replacement for proper orthodics, you should look into them, depending on where you live/how good your insurance plan is you might be able to get an evaluation and a pair of inserts for free. proper arch support makes a massive difference, i have flat feet myself and if i dont buy shoes that fit my foot properly i can feel it within hours of wearing them
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You should see about custom orthotics. Your health insurance may also cover some of the cost. Physical therapists tend to be able to make these. They last a pretty long time too (from what I've been told)
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I used to have both bad shin splints and runner's knee. When I was getting fitted for new running shoes, the store recommended i try out the superfeet green insoles. Almost immediately my shin splints went away, and my runners knee gradually followed. I am not sure if they will fit in a fashionable work shoe, but they work wonders in my running shoes