Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Not reaching 1200 calories, is it ok.

Ok so I have been dieting for 6 months eating 1200 calories a day. I have noticed lately that I am not quite teaching 1200 calories.
The food I eat is very nutritious and a little bit from every food group.
I just find a couple of times a week I am falling 50-100 calories under. Is this still ok? I am still losing weight and I am not hungry that's why I don't eat something extra but I am starting to worry that I am doing something wrong!!!

(I am probably being over dramatic, but better to be safe, than fat haha)

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    According to your ticker, you have 14 lbs. to go. (Congratulations on your loss!) At your size, a healthy loss is .5 lb. per week—which is way more than 1,100 calories. The smaller deficit will also help you transfer to maintenance.

This post should be required reading: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    If you're cool with eating like this forever... I always say "better to be adequately fueled and healthy than [too] skinny."

Also, a spoonful of peanut butter can fix this non-problem.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    *sigh*

Just because you are not hungry DOES NOT mean you are eating enough or getting proper nutrition.

Set MFP to lose half a pound a week, and eat more for exercise.
  • seaxx
    seaxx Posts: 21
    I am deffinetly getting adiquite nutrition as I prepare every thing I eat from scratch, and have been having regular bloody tests to make sure I am not lacking.

I think the peanut butter trick is a great idea.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    You have to make sure that you are giving your body the proper amount of nutrients and properly fueling your workout. This isn't to suggest you eat until your head ends up in the toilet but if you are not eating enough, your metabolism and workouts will suffer. This will hinder your weight loss.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    *sigh*

Just because you are not hungry DOES NOT mean you are eating enough or getting proper nutrition.

This. No, it's not okay. You will only hurt yourself in the end by undereating.

editorgrrl posted a good thread for you above, but here are a couple more. Good luck, OP.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    If you're cool with eating like this forever... I always say "better to be adequately fueled and healthy than [too] skinny."

Also, a spoonful of peanut butter can fix this non-problem.

Oh, this is my favorite. If I have enough left in my day to gobble down a tablespoon or two of peanut butter--straight out of the jar--I am in Heaven.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    I always wish that I was under my calorie goals so that I could indulge in something... but usually the opposite occurs :ohwell:
  • 24Donna
    24Donna Posts: 39 Member
    Not to be mean here or something, but I never understand these sort of questions. I get it when it comes from naturally really skinny girls trying to gain or maintain weight but.. I mean, when I look at your progress photo you lost a lot of weight (and look great now btw!), but like most people here you used to be heavier. Which means you used to eat more.

What I'm trying to say here is that I don't get why you need 'tricks' all of a sudden to fill up those 50-100 calories. I mean, after a lifetime of eating bad or just too much you can't come up with anything to eat? I don't get that because I was never super heavy but I don't have ANY problems reaching my 1200, quite the opposite actually so I just find it really hard to believe that someone who once reached a weight over 100kgs suddenly can't even think of a snack to reach their daily goal, yet I see your topic and lots of them like it every day here on the forums. Again, I'm really not saying this to insult anyone but I just don't understand. Is there something I'm missing here?

That said, 50 to 100 calories under isn't too big of a deficit. I think it won't have any consequences, you'll just lose even faster. It's pretty impossible to nail your exact 1200 calorie goal but as long as you're within a 100 calorie range I think you're good.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Food is fuel, and we should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight—never the minimum.

And as SonicDeathMonkey80 said, can you eat 1,100 calories for the rest of your life? Your options: go "off your diet" and gain it all back (plus some more), or learn to eat appropriately.

The choice is yours.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    I might not reach 1200 calories once every six months ant it normally has to do with getting stuck in something work related on someone else's eating schedule instead of my own or I need to reset my "appestat"

So it is ok with certain caveats. Not as a lifestyle choice for otherwise healthy individuals.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I am deffinetly getting adiquite nutrition as I prepare every thing I eat from scratch, and have been having regular bloody tests to make sure I am not lacking.

I think the peanut butter trick is a great idea.

Preparing food from scratch does not guarantee nutrition.

Adequate protien, carbs and fats are important...getting in all the micros are important too...and unless you are watching macros and have the "perfect" setup you are not getting all your nutrition.

Hunger is not the best indicator of what the body needs and yes your body will slow or shut down hunger cues if you are not eating enough.

Esp with 13lbs left you should be at a much higher calorie level preparing for matienance.
  • artistryrose
    artistryrose Posts: 84 Member
    Eat when your hungry. Don't when your not. For me when i eat really good food (like veggies and meat) I sometimes don't meet my calories... but sometimes I do. If your losing weight and feeling great, I think its okay to be under once in a while.
  • artistryrose
    artistryrose Posts: 84 Member
    Also, eat an avocado!!! yum!!!! with a little salt and lime sprinkled on there.... mmmm, or sliced tomatoes with olive oil and light red vinegar and some salt and white pepper..... mmmmm :)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    *sigh*

^ What the cat said
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

Yes, but you may not be getting enough of it. And as already stated, just because you are not hungry doesn't mean there isn't something lacking. Hunger (and lack of) is controlled by hormones, and hormones are influenced by how much you are eating. You can certainly be not eating enough and yet not be hungry.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Ok so I have been dieting for 6 months eating 1200 calories a day. I have noticed lately that I am not quite teaching 1200 calories.
    The food I eat is very nutritious and a little bit from every food group.

Sure, give it a try. What's the worst that could happen?