My fellow joggers...

Options

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Running w/a partner is a double edge sword.

Great if both are the same speed/ability, but not so great if you're not. I've been on both ends of the spectrum & it stinks. :tongue:
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options

Great if both are the same speed/ability, but not so great if you're not. I've been on both ends of the spectrum & it stinks. :tongue:

I agree (with walking partners too). I've walked with both someone way faster and way slower - the walk with the slower person stunk b/c I felt like I needed to go home and exercise more! The faster walker wasn't so bad for me cause I got a great workout but I felt like I was slowing her down!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options

So true. On occasion, my friend will come down and run with me on a Sunday and she's 6 feet tall. She doesn't mind running a little slower with me (her stride alone kicks my *kitten*) but if that was me, I'd be annoyed. I like to run with someone who is motivating and likes to push themselves. I've run with people who start making excuses before they even start. I'm not an athlete by any means but when I go out to run, I want to run.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Options

I agree (with walking partners too). I've walked with both someone way faster and way slower - the walk with the slower person stunk b/c I felt like I needed to go home and exercise more! The faster walker wasn't so bad for me cause I got a great workout but I felt like I was slowing her down!

Exactly. If you feel like all you did was help a old lady across the street then it's frustrating. :laugh: Guess I prefer just me & my mp3! :drinker:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    a small run but it is a cold spell and it started to burn my lungs so I slowed down to a powerwalk and ran into an old friend and we power walked together(almost a jog) but GO FOR THE HALFY!!!!! I am gonna do one in Sept. Do something like that that way you get the time to train...
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Just read this....
    Although running uphill is a serious challenge, it still provides so many benefits. There are also many ways to approach the incline. If you want to keep your pace consistent rather than focusing on maintaining a steady RPE (rate of perceived exertion), focus on your arms. In some feat of evolution, our arms and legs are wired to keep the same pace. If you pump your elbows back at the rate you want your feet to go, your legs will follow.

For me, as my legs start to feel heavy, I put all my energy into my arms. I can’t say it makes me float uphill, but it does somehow lessen the burden maybe because my arms are closer to my brain?

Try it next time you're running uphill; it really does help.

Kewl!! I'm gonna try this. :drinker:
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    Just read this....
    Although running uphill is a serious challenge, it still provides so many benefits. There are also many ways to approach the incline. If you want to keep your pace consistent rather than focusing on maintaining a steady RPE (rate of perceived exertion), focus on your arms. In some feat of evolution, our arms and legs are wired to keep the same pace. If you pump your elbows back at the rate you want your feet to go, your legs will follow.

For me, as my legs start to feel heavy, I put all my energy into my arms. I can’t say it makes me float uphill, but it does somehow lessen the burden maybe because my arms are closer to my brain?

Try it next time you're running uphill; it really does help.

Kewl!! I'm gonna try this. :drinker:

I told you girl about the arm pumping thing in the other post with the jedi mind tricks :laugh:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a 10-mile race on May 24.

So far, I've gotten up to running 8 miles in 75 minutes ... my goal is to do 10 miles in 95 minutes. If I can do that, then I see a half-marathon in my future!

On the topic of hill workouts, they're the best! Nothing like them to increase your speed. If you have even one good hill on your running path, try doing one workout per week when you sprint up and walk down about 6 times. It gives your legs a lot of power.

Power = speed!
  • Shannon023
    Options
    My jogging buds!!!

Ya'll were the voices pushing me to run after work even though the wind kicked up. :grumble: Almost talked myself out of it (and into a glass of wine :bigsmile: ) when I thought of ya'll.

Went 4.6 miles in about 15-20 mph winds! :drinker: Was panting like a obscene phone call, but least I did it! :drinker:
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options

Went 4.6 miles in about 15-20 mph winds! :
    NICE!!!!:bigsmile: Good for you:smile::flowerforyou:
  • snelfk
    snelfk Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    ALL of you are so inspiring! I've just recently started to run (guess jog woulf be closer to the truth). Am trying to get up to 15 minutes without stopping!!! I Feel like a wuss!!
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My jogging buds!!!

Ya'll were the voices pushing me to run after work even though the wind kicked up. :grumble: Almost talked myself out of it (and into a glass of wine :bigsmile: ) when I thought of ya'll.

Went 4.6 miles in about 15-20 mph winds! :drinker: Was panting like a obscene phone call, but least I did it! :drinker:

Good on ya! The winds kill me!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    ALL of you are so inspiring! I've just recently started to run (guess jog woulf be closer to the truth). Am trying to get up to 15 minutes without stopping!!! I Feel like a wuss!!

No worries ... there are days when I still can't run more than 15 minutes without stopping. I'm hoping that as I increase my endurance through longer runs (even at a slower pace), those days will be fewer.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I NEVER used to run with anyone due to a few reasons...however, I am now running with my friend/neighbor and she has ran 3 marathons....well to say the least it was a good decision to run with her....

zen
  • Mireille
    Options
    My jogging buds!!!

Way to go! Just think how much stronger your legs are from having that extra resistance from the wind!

You're rocking girl!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I have to confess, I did NOTHING yesterday. I had absolutely no energy! Such a double edged sword to know that if I had just gotten up and run I would have felt better - but I just couldn't do it. I know that the biggest problem was I just didn't eat enough yesterday, I was very hungry and I think my blood sugar was very low because my eyes were heavy while I was driving, that never happens to me.

So TODAY is a new day!! I have all my stuff packed and after work I am going to go for a nice long run and then a nice hot shower and end the day with a yummy dinner.

Hope all of you have a great day!!
  • Mireille
    Options
    I have to confess, I did NOTHING yesterday. I had absolutely no energy! Such a double edged sword to know that if I had just gotten up and run I would have felt better - but I just couldn't do it. I know that the biggest problem was I just didn't eat enough yesterday, I was very hungry and I think my blood sugar was very low because my eyes were heavy while I was driving, that never happens to me.

So TODAY is a new day!! I have all my stuff packed and after work I am going to go for a nice long run and then a nice hot shower and end the day with a yummy dinner.

Hope all of you have a great day!!

We all have those kinds of days. They really suck!
    Today is a new day and I can't wait to hear how your run went tonight!
    I was able to get out a 5:30am this morning. I'm really enjoying it. I saw 3 deer, a ton of bunnies and the birds were singing beautifully! It's like we have our own neighborhood zoo!!

Have a great day all!
    Mireille
  • Shannon023
    Options
    pm - I think it's good to rest our bodies & recharge our batteries for a day. But you're right, today is a new beginning! :heart:

Mireille - I'm so jealous of your morning runs! What a great way to start the day!

Happy Tuesday, ya'll! :flowerforyou:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    pm - I think it's good to rest our bodies & recharge our batteries for a day. But you're right, today is a new beginning! :heart:

Mireille - I'm so jealous of your morning runs! What a great way to start the day!

Thanks Shannon! :flowerforyou:

I am, too, jealous of those morning runs! I wish i could get out of bed in the morning with that kind of ambition! I LOVE my comfy bed too much!!

Mireille - how do you deal with running in the morning when you are really hungry?
  • Mireille
    Options

Thanks Shannon! :flowerforyou:

I am, too, jealous of those morning runs! I wish i could get out of bed in the morning with that kind of ambition! I LOVE my comfy bed too much!!

Mireille - how do you deal with running in the morning when you are really hungry?

I'm actually not very hungry that early in the morning. My alarm goes off at 5:15 and I get dressed while still trying to wake up, I don't think about food at all.
    Now that I've said that, tomorrow I'll wake up starving. lol