HELPPPPP!! Muscle Soreness!!!

Options
Hi All,

I need major help, I started the 5X5 Stronglift last week and everything was fine until I woke up this morning and my thighs are killing me. They hurt so much just walking around my office is hurting. I'm meant to be doing another workout today and I just don't think i'll be able to manage it.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of this or to help soothe my ache??

Thanks.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    you're experiencing delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) and its very common for new gym goers

Rest, ice, compression, elevation have been known to reduce doms, as well as massage therapy. but it will go away within a few days on its own. you can power through this soreness though, ive worked out with really bad doms before, once you warm up it typically gets much better since your muscles loosen up a bit
  • daviddjhonna
    Options
    A hot bath with epson salt right after you work out usually does the trick for me. I also stretch will I am soaking because the heat loosens up my muscles really well. You can also use the Relax bath salts and milk at Bath and Body works if you want to do a full body mind rest thing. Either one works wonders on the muscles.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    It will pass if you push through it. Everything suggested helps. Look into foam rollers - using them right after & the next day really helps - hurts like a deep massage but you feel so much better after.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I've never found anything that gets rid of DOMS and I've tried just about everything that people suggest. But I know it goes away faster as long as I keep moving and exercising. When you can barely walk it seems impossible to exercise but after a good warm up the pain subsides. The worst I ever had lasted about 72 hours. Keep moving, stretch before and after work outs and drink lots of water :-)

Just make sure it's DOMS and not an injury. Injuries are treated differently.
  • hotplugged
    hotplugged Posts: 37
    Options
    I am still new to the fitness world, but it has been recommended to me, to take BCAA before the workout, to prevent mucle soreness.

It seemed to work last week, but I have little comparison.

Of course, this will not help with your current pain, but may help prevent it in the future.
  • carlyjaner
    carlyjaner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I'm hoping at least one of these will work tonight :laugh:
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It will pass if you push through it. Everything suggested helps. Look into foam rollers - using them right after & the next day really helps - hurts like a deep massage but you feel so much better after.

Foam rollers, yes!!!!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Just lift again. It's only really bad the first day. Somehow lifting a second time makes it go away quicker.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options

I do this...it really hurts while doing it, but most definitely helps.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Do the DOMS shuffle.

I've been dealing with it on my shoulders and chest, which is impacting my swim workouts.

Ancient chinese secret: Pain killers.
  • glopez28
    glopez28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm having the exact same problem! I am trying out a "muscle rub" cream from Walgreens and I think it's really helped. It's the generic brand for the Ultra Strength BENGAY. You should give it a try.