Canned Coconut Milk

Options
smv77
smv77 Posts: 7 Member
Hello!!! Is it normal for there to be a wax like substance above the liquid part of the coconut milk? Are you supposed to use that "wax" stuff?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• artistryrose
    artistryrose Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    that's count cream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes You use it!!!!! You have to mix it back in!!! it naturally separates!!!! some recipes call for strictly coconut cream, and in that case you don't want to mix it! You scrape the cream off the top!!!!
  • smv77
    Options
    Thank you! So just to clarify........if a recipe calls for coconut milk, do NOT use the cream on top, right. Also, to mix it back in, do you have to "melt" it first?
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If it calls for coconut milk, definitely mix the cream back in. Just shake the can up really well before you open it :) It is like full-fat milk; if you got it straight from a cow, the cream would rise to the top, but you can totally drink it before that happens. Coconut fat is good for you, and tasty.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    The can I used said to put it on a burner on low for a few minutes to mix it all back together. That's how I've done it when I work with coconut milk.
  • smv77
    Options
    THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!! I have been wondering about this for over a month :)
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You can even make vegan whipped cream with the full fat coconut milk... just place the can in the fridge for the cream to separate, then remove the cream only (leave the liquid for smoothies) and beat the cream with some powdered sugar for a yummy frosting.
  • smv77
    Options
    That sounds amazing!!!!
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    Oh MY Gosh im so trying that! *instantly buys coconut milk! LOL
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    The can I used said to put it on a burner on low for a few minutes to mix it all back together. That's how I've done it when I work with coconut milk.

If you are using it for a Thai curry etc, just dump the whole thing into your recipe, it melts up and mixes in just fine. If you want a really rich gravy just pour out the thinner milk into a glass, put the fatty cream into the recipe then add as much thinner milk as you wish until it's the richness you like.