VOGUE Italy creates VOGUE Curvy

Options
Just came across this when I was searching online for the Italian word my Nana used to describe "thickness, curviness, etc." but in a good healthy way. What's interesting about the Italian culture (not among the high fashion market in It.) is that skinny-skinny isn't the ideal, but niether is that level beyond healthy looking. Still haven't found the word to describe it, but, what are your thoughts on VOGUE Curvy?

http://www.vogue.it/en/vogue-curvy

Personally, I think it's a step in the right direction, acknowledging on a mass media scale that having a womanly shape is beautiful and appealing to men. Makes me feel good about my culo ;) I love Monica Bellucci, who is featured on their website, and especially love how the D&G/Martini Gold ad portrays the Italian men persuing her, they can't deny it! Hopefully in the future, with society pushing for more female body equality, there won't be a "VOGUE Curvy", but rather one VOGUE emcompassing all shapes of beautiful women within it :flowerforyou:

Replies

• laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thanks for the link!
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    It is about time!! I love it! Thanks for sharing this with us!
  • Amanda141982
    Options
    I have been trying to get myself to stop yearning for the stick thin look. I love Crystal Renn! She has such a beautiful face and great hair and then she's so confident! I read her book "Hungry" and really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting this- just last night I was looking at my legs and thinking how much I wanted to shave off inches- even though I'm using them to run 15 plus miles a week! I definitely feel that the media pushes a warped perspective onto us women- but we're the ones buying the magazines so we have to stop doing that!
  • kcrojas630
    kcrojas630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My experience is men usually do like curvy women. I would die without my booty and thick legs. I just want them to be proportionally smaller! :)
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I actually really don't like it. They are all plus-size models. I would really like to see a model that is 5'8" and weighs like 140 lbs. That's normal. I don't understand why models are either a size 0/2 or 12/14.. why can't anyone be a healthy 6/8?????
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Glad you guys like it!

I have always loved my curves, but like kcrojas630, wanted them to be proportionally smaller, for asthetics reasons and sporting a few fashions I couldn't pull off previously. What prompted my search of a possible self-description was the conversation my Husband and I had the other night. We were watching some show on the travel channel and "skinny" got brought up. We began to discuss it, and I related the topic to myself, posing the question to him whether or not I was skinny. He said "you're very close, but I don't want you to be! I like you thick." lol I'm happy where I am, but I know there's a word out there other than thick or curvy, and my Nana had one! Oh well, I'll ask her this weekend :)

Keep up the great work and stay motivated everyone!
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I actually really don't like it. They are all plus-size models. I would really like to see a model that is 5'8" and weighs like 140 lbs. That's normal. I don't understand why models are either a size 0/2 or 12/14.. why can't anyone be a healthy 6/8?????

I have seen those size 6 models being used for mainstream fashions or retailers like, Old Navy, JCP, etc. As far as high fashion goes, it's amazing to me that plus-size is becoming acceptable. Commendable, really!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Awesome link... thanks for sharing!
  • laughingdani
    Options

Some Plus Size models are size 6/8 , but because of their curves they LOOK bigger....and are considered plus size.

I myself am shooting for a weight of 135 and size 6. But I do appreciate a curvy body no matter what the size.
    Everyone is beautiful. :flowerforyou:
  • laughingdani
    Options
    I have been trying to get myself to stop yearning for the stick thin look. I love Crystal Renn! She has such a beautiful face and great hair and then she's so confident! I read her book "Hungry" and really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting this- just last night I was looking at my legs and thinking how much I wanted to shave off inches- even though I'm using them to run 15 plus miles a week! I definitely feel that the media pushes a warped perspective onto us women- but we're the ones buying the magazines so we have to stop doing that!

I absolutely adore Crystal Renn! Who knew fat rolls could look sexy on someone?! :laugh:
    She pulls it off and is so elegant and classy! As a matter of fact, that's her photo on my ticker!

I want to read her book!
  • FutureMrsEssman
    FutureMrsEssman Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've always been curvy with an hour glass figure yet I always hated it because All of my friends were athletic stick thin and I felt out of place. I'm happy that people still love the pin-up or curvy European models because it means someone appreciates my body type. lol
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    of course I love it. Hooray for curvy body love! I could be 120 and still be curvy.. just genetics. Glad it's starting to be appreciated :)
  • bfrice1
    bfrice1 Posts: 62
    Options
    I've always been mystified about why curviness fell out of favor - it strikes me as the most counter-intuitive thing, since a large portion of women are, by our very nature, curvy. On the one hand, I understand that we can't all be Marylin Monroe or Jaime Lee Curtis, but everyone can't be Jada Pinkett or Twiggy either.

Why can't we all just be happy with what we've got? Different women want different things in men - thick, slim, muscular, pudgy (or butterball) tall, short, balding or crowned with wavy locks of glory, and to add to that, most men simply present what they've got. They know that the odds are with them - if they meet a girl that likes them, then hey, fabulous.

We, on the other hand, spend our lives reaching for something we're not, and frankly, it befuddles me. I want to lose weight to be here on this earth with my son for as long as possible. And frankly, I was at my hottest, or felt my absolute best, as a 12/14. I'm kind of unremarkable as a 6/8. Color me old fashioned, but frankly, I like having 'jiggly bits' (in the immortal words of Neicy Nash). I spent my entire childhood waiting to grow up to have jiggly bits, but now I'm suddenly going to turn my back on them, like they're some plague-ish symptom? Really?!?!?!

People who find size 12/14 or larger as 'unlikable' have been trained to think that having curves is somehow...and this just boggles the mind, unnatural. I cannot find the words to describe what I feel about that.

I'm pretty much a 'to each his/her own' kind of a gal, but honest to God, this makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't a woman want to look like a woman?

As for Vogue Curvy, I think it's ridiculous that the vast majority of women the world over get one major fashion publication magazine in only one country devoted to us. They can publish it if they want to, but I don't need them to reaffirm that it's okay for me to have breasts and a butt.

And that's my thirteen cents. I apologize for the length and voracity of the post, please don't take it personally. I think you might have struck a nerve.