home workout vs gym

rw4004
rw4004 Posts: 157
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone,I've been thinking about joining a ymca or community center or gym.Was wondering who goes to gyms or if anyone else likes to work out at home or in the park like me.I've been weighing the pros and cons.Con 1:Minnesota is getting freaking cold!lol

Replies

• sltx1002
    sltx1002 Posts: 15 Member
    I have been working out at home lately, but I used to love working out in the gym. Being in the gym environment motivates me to work harder. Plus, I don't want to wimp out in front of people, lol.
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    I would love to join a gym just because of the variety! I get so bored with home workouts!!!! BTW...the reason I can't join a gym is because the closest one to me is about 30 miles away, so between membership costs and gas it's not doable right now.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    I love the gym. I love the Precor machines, they build muscle where you didn't know you had muscle. And seeing everyone else work motivates me. My gym is the YMCA... I love it!
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    if i had the money, i might join a gym. right now i work out at work (the gym is free here) or at home. i like the gym because it's more of a challenge. at home, there's only so much i can burn.
  • Aamilah
    Aamilah Posts: 62 Member
    I LOVE WORKING OUT AT HOME TO AVOID PAYING FOR A GYM. AND I HAVE A GREAT SUCCESS WITH MY WORK OUTS AND INSTEAD PAYING FOR A GYM,I WILL BUY ME SOME WORK OUT EQUIPMENT AND WORK OUT DVDS TO HELP WITH MY EXERCISING.GOING TO A GYM IS A GREAT MOTIVATION FOR A PERSON,WHEN THEY SEE OTHER PEOPLE THERE WORKING OUT AS WELL.BUT WITH ME I HAVE A WONDERFUL MOTIVATION AT HOME WHICH IS MY HUSBAND,ME AND HIM ARE PUSHING EACH OTHER IN EXERCISING,ETC.....
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    I have a love/hate relationship with the gym-I spent a good portion of my 10 years of competitive swimming there & therefor I have lots of positive and not so positive associations with it lol Lately I find I just don't want to get my out of shape bum to the gym so I've made a home workout playlist on itunes, bought a yoga mat, a couple kettle bells, some resistance/stretching bands, & a heart rate monitor for when I go out for walks. Only problem is Saskatchewan is getting cold and snowy fast so I'm going to have to get myself to the gym for my cardio. It's whatever works for you!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    I am for home workouts largely on the saving money basis. But as a student I have access to the campus gym which is pretty nice, but I get bored easily. That or I find myself competing with people...who don't know or care that I am. Ohhh that guy is running so fast? I bet ...I ... can ..too *passes out from over exertion* Any way its a nice alternative but I find it easier to get into my own rhythms w/o the gym setting.
  • I love the gym!! Its really what pushes me and motivates me and I really enjoy the classes. However, I had to freeze my membership because I havent been going since Im a new mom. Ive been working out from home which can be really effective too but I find it harder to get up & do it!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Dropped the Y and bought a treadmill for the winter. I'll save money in the long run since I prefer to workout on the streets instead of at the gym.
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    if i could afford it i would definately go to a gym but im happy right now with my Wii Fit and my personal trainer game - i can fit it in now when i have spare time which is really good :)
  • I am fortunate that my work pays for a gym membership for my husband and I. I personally do my cardio at home using my dvds and then I go to the gym 2-3 times a week (or at least try) and use the resistance machines.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    I work out at home. The closest gym is 20 miles away. So, I have built my own gym over the past few years. I got a trainer for my bike, so I can ride all winter long. I got a treadmill a few years ago for my wife. Now, I am using it. This past summer, I got a bowflex through craigslist for the cost of a one year membership. Next year, I will probably add an elliptical. Down the road, I hope to get a gym like bike. With the money I save from gym membership, I can build my own.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    I just got a gym membership and, to be perfectly honest with you, I really only use it for the pool and the classes BUT I get a great calorie burn at the classes and wouldn't otherwise have access to a pool so it's worth it for me.
    That being said, I have discovered that Netflix has a lot of workout videos to stream instantly and I do usually walk around the park by my house most days, so you CAN get a good workout at home, too.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    I'm a morning work-out person... 5am. I don't have time to go to the gym & then to work at 7:30am. My husband set up one of our spare bedrooms as a home gym for me last year & I love it.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    I belong to the Y in my area and I go when I can. I also like to mix up my exercise
    so I don't get bored.:yawn: I also do DVD's at home when the weather outside
    is not welcoming:tongue: I have Yoga classes at the Y on Wednesdays and
    then i go when I can for the other exercises like treadmill and strength training.
    I am enjoying it and since I am older I don't try to keep up with the younger ones.
    I go at my own pace. Have fun and good luck on your journey:flowerforyou:
  • txchic_73
    txchic_73 Posts: 139 Member
    I'm a morning work-out person... 5am. I don't have time to go to the gym & then to work at 7:30am. My husband set up one of our spare bedrooms as a home gym for me last year & I love it.

Can you tell me about the Wii EA Sports Active Challenge? I have a Wii at home, and have The Biggest Loser game but rarely use it. I need to get back to it but find the workouts long & too challenging at times. The "easier" ones are too easy so I am stuck. Want to try something new that will keep me motivated!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    The EA Sports Active are my favorites for the Wii. I have a handful of others, but these are my stand-bys. I have both the original & the more. Needless to say, I like the challenges... with the original you have a 30 day challenge & the more a 45 day challenge. The 2 games just basically have different exercises. I like them both. You can also create your own rountines... which is just plain fun! I have a running rountine, boxing routine, sports routine... you get the picture. Plus it's something quick & easy that will give you a sense of accomplishment.

I'm back on the wagon & starting a new 45 day challenge on Monday.
  • i belong to the YMCA. *IN THEORY* my kids can hang out in the babysitting room while i work out (free 1.5 hrs a day) but in reality, i never go unless they are off doing something w daddy or its almost bedtime and hubby is home, watching them/putting them to bed. Sooo, since i pretty much only do the treadmill there, i am thinking to cancel our membership and buy a decent treadmill for the house. This will give me a lot more flexibility in when i am able to work out and will cut the 40 minutes of driving (even in dry weather, let alone snow/ice) that is needed to get to the gym & back. Just hoping to find a good deal!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    I just rejoined the gym after a seven year hiatus. I gave up my membership when I started having to do internships for my graduate degree and didn't have the time. I had been working out at home for a few years, then stopped altogether for various reasons. Last week I re-joined and I am SO glad I did! I do my weight training at home, because I prefer the DVDs I have for that, but I use the cardio machines at the gym and have started attending classes. I noticed I push myself more when I'm in a group format. I'm hoping this will help me with my weight loss plateau.
  • Most of my workouts I do at home or outside but I do belong to an aerobic studio....which I was hired on a couple of months after I joined lol I love the classes and didn't just want to join a gym since I have weight lifting equipment (my DH's cage but I use it too), an elliptical, and lots of DVD's :laugh: Plus the studio was way cheaper than the gym!
This discussion has been closed.