Any tips for overweight exercisers? Gear, process, etc?

Options
So here's the problem. You can go to running stores and talk to skinny friends, but, they don't have the unique insight that is required when you're very overweight and trying to exercise. For example, I mentioned to one friend that I got really thirsty when walking, so he mentioned a hydration pack belt system. Only problem is - the belt doesn't remotely fit me! Other things: pain from being overweight when doing certain exercise, skin problems, etc. - all things that are problems with overweight people exercising.

What I'm looking for is help with suggestions for all those who are quite a few extra pounds - what are things that helped you, or you heard of, or that you currently do. All helpful tips are welcome, but please focus on those beginning their exercise goals or being very overweight.

Replies

• ayron102
    ayron102 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'll start:

*Chafing: Body glide. Amazing thing helps with thighs rubbing together
    *Hurting feet/shin splints: I spent a little bit extra money on running shoes - even for walking. Find a really good brand/fit (I went to the store - and it was a little embarrassing when I got winded walking the treadmill for testing, but whatever!)
    *Excessive sweaty shirt: thinking about exercise gets me sweaty. I've been trying the breathable fabrics. While they stick to me and show off a little too many rolls, it's much better than the hot mess, and then cold cool down of a drenched cotton shirt after 1 mile walk.
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    Agree 100% with the shoes! What a difference decent shoes make.
    Im mostly an indoor runner but ive started walking/jogging outdoors and they make a huge difference.
    Nobody wants to see all my business in one of the tight tank top goodies so I just stick to over sized t-shirts. They do get sweaty but it works for me.
    (This one for girls) Definitely get a head band to catch all that sweaty mess.
    Oh and finally.
    Sorry, another one for the girls. If you don't have time to take make up off and don't want it running down your face. Just hairspray your face very briefly and it should stay put. :) O_o Party trick.

Im keen to see what other suggestions people can come up with :)
  • TashTag
    Options
    Oh and with regards to the hydration packs. I know you get back pack style ones :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I can give hints on what not to do too...

From experience.

Do not use a belt type device to hold a water bottle. That has caused me a lot of issues (from being in the military) and as I got heavier it got worse. If the bottle sits on your hip you are off balance...

Do not ignore chaffing. Gold bond powder is good as well or spectral gel works to help it afterwards as it will help restore the PH balance in your skin

Do not do too much at once...it's no fun being so sore you can barely move.

Do not ignore blisters, get them taken care of properly...when I was in the military we used this gel you had to cut...the blister was broken and excess skin cut off...this gel was put on with something called 2nd skin...like a band aid but doesn't move.

Even with the "right" shoes good socks are a must...
  • wildflowerz76
    wildflowerz76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You've mentioned all the things I can think of! I use deodorant rather than Body Glide. I tried BG, but it didn't seem to do anything. Deodorant works just as well and I don't have to go out of my way to find it. :)

Definitely find some good running shoes. My store videos you on the treadmill and then slows it down to see how your feet are hitting so you know what kind of shoes to get. They also have this plate you stand on that measures your weight distribution. Awesome. (Mine is Big Peach...I think they're just in the South, but they're great!)

I get the feeling uncomfortable with your shirt sticking to you, but I also look at major sweat as a kind of badge of honor. To me, it says "Look how hard I worked!" :) One solution is to wear a tighter, moisture wicking tank under a tee. The tank should hold a lot of the sweat so your tee won't stick to you.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I agree with the good shoes, I got fitted and it was the best thing. I paid more for my shoes, but was worth it.

I hired a personal trainer, I know it isn't in the budget for everyone, but it got me to where I needed to be without injuring me or me ending up discouraged.

Wear whatever is comfortable, I would cover up so much when I started that I was hotter than I could handle. Went to shorts and a t-shirt. I was still a sweaty mess, but even after losing 100+ pounds, I am still a sweaty mess. That may never change. My body did change in that I am cold all the time at work, but working out, still sweaty.

I stuck with the treadmill instead of outside at the beginning. It has a little give and easier on the joints for me. Now I go outside.

Lift weights, don't just to cardio to lose the weight, do both. Lifting weights will help you more in the long run.

For girls - invest in a good sports bra, also well worth the money.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Alright, here goes: fat guy runner giving advice.

Shoes - don't skimp, but be cognizant of the specific issues you have and how particular running shoes will help. I originally bought a pair of Asics, I slowly switched to zero drop and now minimalist running sandals because it better suits my particular biomechanics. Go to a running store and get fitted, have them do all the tests, and what not to determine what issues you may have and need to stave off with particular shoes.

Chafing - I use A & D ointment on my thighs (cheaper than Body Glide, works just as well). I use waterproof medical tape on my nipples. You want to see a grown man cry out in pain? Put him in a shower with bloody nipples.

Clothing - I like compression shorts under basketball shorts for running, I also got C9 by Champion tech soft compression boxers. They are dreamy. I run a fair number of races and they have gotten in the habit of giving wicking tech shirts out. For the most part I like them, sometimes logos can be hell on the nipples (see above advice). Cotton holds moisture, and increases chances of chafing and backne.

Summer Workout - I got a Frog Toggs Cooling Cloth. Plop it over your neck or head, feels gross but works awesome.

Hydration - Get a hydration backpack. Companies like Camelback make ones for backpackers/hikers that have a lot of pockets, etc. I have one, but don't run with it because it is so bulky. Bell Bicycle makes a much smaller one, that set me back a whopping 20 dollars. It is fully adjustable and fits me fine, in spite of my robust shoulders. Alternately for about 5 dollars you can get straps that hold a regular water bottle and strap it to your hand. On long runs I usually take the backpack and a hand bottle, one with water (Backpack) and one with gatorade (hand bottle). Weigh yourself before and after a workout to get an idea of how much water you lose per hour so that you can drink it back, preferably while running. We lose a lot of salt, and it can mess up electrolytes, so be careful.

Other outlets - for general concerns such as these you might also check out the Triathlete forums and look for the Clydesdale/Athena boards. These folks have the same problems and deal with them, and also do some amazing things athletically. They are a great source of inspiration.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'll start:

*Chafing: Body glide. Amazing thing helps with thighs rubbing together
    *Hurting feet/shin splints: I spent a little bit extra money on running shoes - even for walking. Find a really good brand/fit (I went to the store - and it was a little embarrassing when I got winded walking the treadmill for testing, but whatever!)
    *Excessive sweaty shirt: thinking about exercise gets me sweaty. I've been trying the breathable fabrics. While they stick to me and show off a little too many rolls, it's much better than the hot mess, and then cold cool down of a drenched cotton shirt after 1 mile walk.
    Shin splints: Slow down bro. I had to switch out of those crappy brooks speshul snowflayk shoes, and went with five fingers. Ended up changing my gait and fixing several continual issues I was having with my knees thanks to the brooks. (MCL and LCL sprains.)
    Chafing: Simple antiperspirant stick is fine, and cheaper than body glide.
    Excessive Sweat: Won't go away, use a decent tech shirt. If you're hot, get used to it, or workout earlier in the day.

Overall, for the big boys, you just gotta slow up and take things a step at a time, sometimes quite literally. Also, enjoy trying a multitude of different things. I didn't know I liked triathlon, particularly because running and swimming kinda suck. ;)

Also, learn your body, we may get hungry as bigger folks, but we don't need to eat like we think we do. At the end of the day, eat less, move more, and try to keep working on lift heavy stuff, it helps fix some of our muscle issues from being bigger.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Hydration:

Find your sweat rate, hydrate enough, not to replace, but to keep your sweat under check. There is some research that suggest that we can really only take up 20-30 ounces of water an hour under race conditions, while I know personally I sweat about 40oz an hour. It means I'll have a hard time catching up once I get behind on hydration, but you can still condition yourself to perform under that type of stress.

I won't take water if I'm running a 5k, during a race though, I'll need it. If you want to keep hydration with you during a run, take one of those water bottles that have a handle, or a camelback. The camelback ain't high speed, but it's comfortable and does the job. 100oz is heavy though.
  • k1ttyk1tty
    k1ttyk1tty Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've found that the easiest thing for me to do is an exercise bike. I got a little peddling thingy from amazon for around $30. I LOVE IT. I can sit on the couch and go while I'm watching tv and half of the time I look down and I'm surprised how long I've been going. Unlike a traditional bike my *kitten* wont kill me, my back won't start hurting from bad posture, etc. It was worth every single penny. I also got a stretch band from fivebelow for $5 and I'll use that while peddling away.
  • TashTag
    Options
    *dies laughing at the nipple comment!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Great advice!

Not a gadget.. but very important to reduce injuries. Look at your form - whether you are running, or lifting weights or yoga - improper form is likely a culprit.

I totally agree on the running store. Go to an independent place, not a ****'s sporting goods or Sportmart. If the store doesn't ask a bunch of questions like goals, your training schedule and a few other things - find a new store. Ditto if they don't watch you run. Go in when you can spend some time chatting with a sales clerk, not a busy Saturday or a half hour before they close.

Soak your feet in ice water after your run. I soak my feet after an especially long hard run. Amazing how much it hurts and how little time you'll be able to handle..but wow, sweet relief!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Here is how you know you have a good running shoe store.

Ask them if they'll stand behind their product. Take it back if you get hurt using it.

The bad ones will balk at that.
  • dorisdecker
    Options
    For chafing there is body Glide and at most of you national retail stores they have something that is generic like chaf away and it works well and pretty cheap.

For shin splints you can buy socks for it it is just a compression tube I bought mine at a running shoe store they were about 25 I think?? Yes they help!!

Amazing shoes is a must!!!

Baby steps but also push yourself at the sametime wihtout over doing it.

Wear whatever you feel comfortable in!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Do lots of walking and then start to mix in running until you can run comfortably. I still like to walk in the evenings just for the exercise when its hot. My mornings are for running. Find places that have outdoor water fountains so you don't need to carry water or as much. You can carry a small bottle if needed and there are some nice hand hold styles. Add in some resistance training three days a week if possible. I started that slow too and never got sore at all. I do Nautilus because its quick (25 minutes) and the gym is on my running route. I found that the combo of resistance weights and running to be perfect for me. I eat back most of my exercise calories. Just get started and do it! You will really like the new you!
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have about 100 to loose. I am maybe down 25-30 and with at least 70 to go before I re-evaluate.

Running was never a problem, but I have good shoes and I am a midfoot striker. That helps alot!

I don't have too many problems cycling either but I wear fitted clothes (even at my size) and have a good set of cycling shoes. I get some numbness but that was due to improper bike fit. Some important advice is to shave/don't wear underwear if you have trouble in those areas and wear fitted clothes even if you feel huge. If clothing is loose, you are asking for problems.

At the gym I wear spandex pants, I fitted dry fit tank, and a loose t-shirt over it. I sweat like a monster and the tank just helps me feel better. I always wear bananas or headbands for the sweat. Lunges and squats are hard on my knees. I make sure my form is perfect and just go down as far as I can manage. If you have bad form, you will kill your knees.

Don't let your size deter you from exercise. If you want to, then get out there. If your having problems, I guarantee one of us has been there before and can help out.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    1. Keep it low impact. If you're significantly overweight, high impact workouts can be murder on your knees no matter how good your form is.

2. Find substitutions where your weight or the size of your gut limits your range of motion. If it prevents you from being able to use safe, good form, don't do the exercise at all.

3. Remember that the term "high intensity" is relative to a person's fitness. What a fit person considers high intensity will probably land you in the hospital. For safety's sake, remember that.
  • candyinmyheels
    candyinmyheels Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    so many good suggestions!
    investing in good shoes & socks is so key. and then replace those shoes every 6 to 12 months, depending on how often you are using them. the cushioning wears down and gets compressed, and eventually your awesome shoes do not feel so great (and i think sometimes this process can happen faster if you are overweight...think how much pressure those shoes take when you are jogging etc).
    there are so many great options for moisture-wicking fabrics now, and I think they greatly increase comfort when you are sweating. just try lots of brands/sizes until you find a combo you like.. I tend to pick looser styles for most workouts, and it took a while to find brands that fit the way i want them too. I generally go for men's cuts since the womens shirts are cut waaay closer than i like. i hate shopping, but go somewhere where you can try different things on even if you don't buy them. or find a good online place that has an easy return policy.
    in terms of hydration, i generally like gym workouts, so i can keep a bottle of water near me. or try to find a park/outdoor place that has a water fountain nearby. or keep a bottle in your car (or house) and stop by it periodically to hydrate.
    i think trying new types of workouts/sports is great. sometimes you like something that you didn't think that you would like. sometimes cycling studios (or whatever) offer one free class for new customers.
    DVDs at home can be great if you want to work out in private (and i am also comfortable taking my sweaty shirt of at home in a way i would not be in public).
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Chafing between thighs - Compression shorts are a must, this was killing me when I first started.

Socks and shoes- I purchased Puma's running socks because I kept getting blisters, even if only walking on the tredmil for 45min to an hour. Bought Pumas and while I sometimes might get a blister it's gone down significantly.

Buy good running shoes and replace them as recommended. Running shoes have a recommended amount of miles used before you replace.

Low impact cardio- I like running and power walking, but elliptical is easier on the joints. Also for calorie burn, I find it to be more efficient calorie burn for time spent (when using a heart rate monitor and excising at my target heart rate)

Heavy lifting- do it. Can you can muscles and lose weight at the same time? Not efficiently for most people, but you can increase strength and help with muscle retention while you are losing weight. Your body is less likely to eat away at your muscle if you are using them.

**** best advice is don't over do it at the gym and listen to your body. It's tempting to want to workout 7 days a week at 2 hours a pop, but this will be very unforgiving to your body and could lead to burn out. Stick to a 2-3 days a week routine for at least 45 minutes a session. If you can do more and your body can handle it then power to you.

Remember, weight loss is achieved in the kitchen and workout is an aide. With a proper diet you won't need to over-kill yourself at the gym.
  • Barry0611
    Barry0611 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic. Personally, I suffer knee and hip pain when exercising which makes me hate exercising even more. A couple of things I found helpful:

This may seem counter intuitive but I suffer the least amount of pain during the day if I force myself to get up from my desk and walk around the office for a minute or two every hour or when I think of it.

Second thing is that I started bowling again. It is hard enough to exercise but especially difficult if it is boring. Bowling is low impact, social and fun. I've dusted off my bowling ball and started doing it on a regular basis.