Start and Stay Motivated?

Options
Hi everyone! I recommitted myself to losing weight this morning after gaining weight back and then some. Like my mom told me, if I lost weight once before then I can do it again. Just looking for some tips on how others have stayed motivated at the beginning and have maintained staying motivated. :)

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Hey, One of the biggest things that I have done is get into my support groups on Facebook. There are so many people in there all working towards improving their health and fitness, it's hard to not catch the fire. We teach about proper nutrition and how to exercise. I'd be happy to chat with you about it if that is something that you're looking for.

Allan
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Having a great support system. Like the fellow said, there are support groups on Facebook, but my biggest support group was this right here. I found people doing the same programs with the same goals I had and checking in constantly is a huge help. It's nice to have that person to talk to when you are feeling like quitting and who won't let you give up on yourself. I got into a routine I loved, got my son excited about exercising with me and made my diet choices just my lifestyle and not a "diet". And then I got pregnant and I'm starting nearly all over again. Add me for support if you'd like :)
  • jwat90
    jwat90 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I know we've all heard it a million times, but I am really taking it one day at a time. The most important part for me is to be accountable for EVERYTHING I eat. I have tried keeping a food journal in the past. It never worked because I would "fudge" (no pun intended-lol) about what I ate. The only person I was hurting was myself. So this time I log each time I put food in my mouth, no matter how small. At the end of the day it feels good to see that I have met my calorie goal or came in under it. And if I do have a day where I get a little off track (or a lot) I'm trying not to beat myself up about it. I log it into my food diary, and I just start fresh at that moment-not the next day- to try to do better. Also, the support from other people on here really helps keep me motivated. You can do it!!
  • eaglelakebill
    eaglelakebill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I log everything good or bad!
    To stay motivateda just look around and see
    the vast majority of people out of shape, huffing
    And puffing walking up stairs. I also think about
    The future when hopefully my 4 daughters will
    have grand kids and I want to be able to be active
    with them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    In my experience it has to be about more than just losing weight. The way I look at it, being a healthy weight is largely a bi-product of living a healthful life. When you live a healthful life, things like eating right (proper nutrition quality as well as quantity) and exercise are just what you do. It's not a matter of motivation, it's a matter of habit...which means you have to remove bad habits and replace them with good habits that you take into perpetuity (long after you've actually lost weight).

How do you get motivated and stay motivated about doing the dishes...or cleaning the house...or doing the laundry? You don't...these things simply need doing and you do them. Living a healthful life is much the same...a healthful life is necessary for a long life and necessary to your overall well being...you just do it.

Calorie counting is an excellent tool for learning how to live a more healthful life, but that's all it is...ultimately you have to adopt a new normal...ultimately you have to establish healthful habits that will carry you through even when you just don't feel like it. Ultimately motivation will fail you...it fails everyone...nobody is 100% motivated all of the time...you simply cannot rely solely on motivation, you have to change the way you live...and that is a process, not a 180 degree overnight kind of thing.