Diary Review: 6/17-23/14

Options
bowlerae
bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
Hello all. I'm requesting a diary review from you good folks. I have only recently started tracking my food with MFP, previously I was using Livestrong and consuming 1,200-1,300 calories/day. MFP recommends I eat 1,300 calories/day and eat back at least half of my exercise calories. I decided to aim for 1,500 calories and NOT eat back my exercise calories because I already account for them (I don't track all of my exercise on MFP). I did this so I could know what the macros would be on the front end so I could plan for the day ahead. I'm asking that some volunteers review any date(s) from June 17-23, 2014.

Some questions I have...

I eat a lot of fast food or microwave meals for lunch but I try to stay within my macros. I try to watch sodium levels...Is that okay?

My sugar and fiber is high because I eat a lot of fruit...is that okay? (Carbs are high from fruit too)...also, do you think I'm getting enough fruit/veggies and a good variety? Any nutrients I'm missing?

On days like today where it was a very high carb day, is it okay to go 20+ over carbs and 20+ under protein? My theory is that it balances out right? I'm still under calories for today.

I'm 5'6", 25 years old, female, 150 lbs. Do my macros look ok? I'm trying to do a body recomposition which I know is slower than cutting or bulking individually. I want to lose weight and tone muscle at the same time. Is my protein/carbs too low/high? MFP suggests I do way more carbs and way less protein.

Any notes you have would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Private diary makes it impossible to review...
  • bowlerae
    Options
    Sorry thought I opened it but I guess I forgot to hit save. It is public now. Thanks!
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing a great job but you eat the same things over and over - I would mix it up a bit! I wouldn't worry about the sugar content - unless you have a medical condition, fruits are awesome. Feel free to check out my diary too (although it is FAR from perfect).

Macros: I think you are little low on the fat - what percentage do you have it set to? Fat is important to eat too and it keeps you really full. I have my macros set to 50/25/25 and it's working out well for me during my recomp. For most people, protein is the most important goal to meet, followed by fat, and then carbs at the end. The protein helps you maintain your muscle when you are losing weight.

I would suggest that you eat back your exercise calories also, especially if you are lifting, otherwise you won't have the energy to do the recomp.

Good luck!
  • bowlerae
    Options
    @LexiMelo,

I'm sort of eating back my exercise calories in that MFP recommends I eat 1,300 for weight loss by I have it set intentionally higher at 1,500 to account for the calories I'm going to eat back. This is not necessarily in one day, I may eat 1,500 two days but only work out and burn 400-600 calories on one of those days. The two days average out.

Also, yes I do eat a lot of the same food because I'm a lazy cook. What keeps me from getting bored is my occasionally cheat meal or my chocolate chip cookies I have squeezed into my macros.

Also, is it a problem I get a lot of my protein from whey? I get tired of tired of meat and some days when I tried to double my serving of meat it was just too much eat.

My macros are 40C/40P/20F. I usually have a hard time hitting my fat so I eat nuts to fill it in. I think I would have a hard time if I reduced my carbs mostly because of the smoothies I have everyday. Easily 30-80 carbs in a single 16 oz smoothie but also packed with protein and fiber.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Are you concerned about the pace of your weight loss?
    The extremely low fat, which can halt menstruation, would be a concern. Do make sure you eat enough fat!
    Essentially, keeping fat cals at 20% or less of daily calories is a good rule of thumb. (The formula: multiply # of fat grams by 9, then divide that product by the number of calories eaten. So if you've eaten, say 765 calories and 17 grams of fat, you'd multiply 17 by 9 (153), and then divide 153 by 765. The result is 20%, which is perfectly healthy.)
    Extremely high protein is also concerning. You should not need more than about 65 g for good health.
    There's a book called "Controlling your Fat Tooth" which provides pretty good totals to use as benchmarks.
    Also, make sure you drink enough water and that you are taking a multivitamin!
    Everything in moderation.
    Hope this helps.
  • bowlerae
    Options
    @Maddalen101,

I drink 72+ ounces of water per day not including exercise water (I don't always log it). My fat is currently at 20% ot daily calories. I think in the coming weeks I will bump it up to 25% to see if there is a difference in satiety. I'm not sure about the protein intake because I've heard to either raise it or lower it from different sources because I am both trying to lose fat and gain muscle.