Why is walking making me fat?

Options
I had been so motivated to go for morning walks. It surely helps my spirit. But I also wanted to lose about 10 pounds. I started walking a month back; walk for an hour a day at 3 mph speed. But for the past three days my weight has been increasing. I even walked for 6.64 miles yesterday and ate 1572 calories. No soda and junk food of any sort. And this morning I went up in my weight.

Please give me some words of advice. If I gain another pound, I will be overweight. And I had worked so hard to go from obese to normal.

Do you think I am making my body work too hard? Will I first gain weight and then lose?

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Water retention, TOM, lack of bowel movements, sodium, hormones can all impact scale weight. Do you take measurements? Those numbers look more consistent with maintaining than gaining. I can fluctuate up to 3 lbs from one day to the next for a ton of reasons. As long as it's not consistent over a few weeks time, it's nothing to fret about.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    What makes you think your weight gain is due to fat and not water? Your scale weight is not equivalent to the amount of fat on your body.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Normal water weight fluctuations. Don't sweat it. Just make sure you're logging properly and weighing your food, and you'll lose eventually!

Last week I was under my goal every day, should have lost half a pound, gained 2. It's the wonderful part of being a woman.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?

Rigger
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your BMs? Trend analysis for average size could help wonders in understanding an additional data point.
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When you engage your intellect, you do know that walking does not "make you fat." Right? Right?

Once you accept that the act of walking is not the culprit, then either:

a) the culprit is elsewhere or

b) there is no culprit, and the fluctuations are just part of the normal, complex system that is your body
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing everyday. Once a week max. Daily fluctuations are natural and will make you crazy. To gauge true loss or gain, step on the scale once a week, same day, after voiding, nekkid.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your BMs? Trend analysis for average size could help wonders in understanding an additional data point.

giphy.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Why did you take your weight data out? That's perfectly valid, helpful information. If you look at it and see how some days are higher than others you can deduct that you're not going to see a beautiful downward trend in weight loss. Scale weight is trivial because of this. Use the averages from each week. See if the trend over a few weeks is going the way you want. Then adjust your caloric intake accordingly then. By no means would exercise be causing you to gain ffat.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Why did you take your weight data out? That's perfectly valid, helpful information. If you look at it and see how some days are higher than others you can deduct that you're not going to see a beautiful downward trend in weight loss. Scale weight is trivial because of this. Use the averages from each week. See if the trend over a few weeks is going the way you want. Then adjust your caloric intake accordingly then. By no means would exercise be causing you to gain ffat.

Yup...

And I'm not trying to be rude but I would suggest maybe talking to your doctor about this and your body image.
  • CLA1134
    CLA1134 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You only started a month ago. It could be your hormone levels or like every else said, water retention. Maybe kick it up a notch, switch it up and try something new or maybe jog or run for a couple minutes and build up your time. Yeah, walking isn't making you fat. At worst you're not being honest with yourself and sabotaging your efforts. Good luck! I hope you see the results you want soon.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. But that's because I kept walking to the donut shop.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. But that's because I kept walking to the donut shop.

+1
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Walking .. is .. not .. making .. you .. fat. Period. End of discussion. The problem lies elsewhere. Or heaven forbid you are putting on some muscle and improving the bone density in your legs.

If you are using BMI to decide whether or not you are "overweight" or not you need to stop. Even the guy who created BMI said that it really doesn't work the same for everyone and shouldn't be used as a be all end all standard. .
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Walking .. is .. not .. making .. you .. fat. Period. End of discussion. The problem lies elsewhere. Or heaven forbid you are putting on some muscle and improving the bone density in your legs.

THIS. Absolutely.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Why is walking making me fat?

It's not
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When you engage your intellect, you do know that walking does not "make you fat." Right? Right?

b) there is no culprit, and the fluctuations are just part of the normal, complex system that is your body

This ^^

Probably b)
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If you plan to weigh daily you need to get an app that works out the fluctuations. Otherwise you will just do your head in. 10lbs is not a lot and 3 days is not long enough to get a true reading of daily body fluctuations. I can move 2 lbs in one day.. I weight daily every morning but have scales that track via Bluetooth and use trend weight to give me an overall picture. Still gaining but that's cause I being a piglet and drinking way to much wine.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

This ^^^ all the way!! I don't know how you can possibly think walking can make you fat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Pretty much this.