How do you start eating vegan?

Options
Just some suggestions ... last nighy snacks are the hardest for rme!

Behlor

Replies

• tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    tofurky_feast_zpsc585d2d1.jpg
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing some research on vegan diets so you get a sense of how to meet all your nutritional needs and to be sure that you like enough foods to be able to meet those needs and have enough variety to stick to it long-term. You can be vegan and unhealthy just like you can eat any other kind of diet and be unhealthy. There are some vegan groups on MFP who would probably be a great resource.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would start slowly - like one meal per day or one day per week where you try to be completely vegan if you're totally new to it. Or cutting out one food group per week until you are vegan. Common problems with veganism are not getting enough protein or enough B12 - but they are easily overcome if you're willing to experiment with some foods not part of the Standard American Diet. I personally like soy and soy products like boca burgers and edamame, seitan (you can make this yourself for about 3 min of labor for way cheaper), beans for big protein sources. Nutritional Yeast from Red Star is good too and it's fortified with B12 in a vegan way so that's a good staple too. (it adds "cheese" flavor to things)

Good luck, way to branch out
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Looking for late night vegan snacks? That's easy.

20110719-oreo-taste-test-oreos.jpg
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    voka-is-vegan.gif?itok=haYdHs-r
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Looking for late night vegan snacks? That's easy.

20110719-oreo-taste-test-oreos.jpg

You're the very devil! :laugh:

Try the produce section instead, OP!
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    daterminedfatburnerX Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If you choose raw vegan just eat fruit and veggies with a few nuts. You don't even have to count your calories just make your micros 80/10/10
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Step 1: you must announce it to everyone you meet. As in, within the first 5 minutes, or it's not worth it.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    If you choose raw vegan just eat fruit and veggies with a few nuts. You don't even have to count your calories just make your micros 80/10/10

why dont you think you have to count your calories?

do you think that one cannot gain weight on fruits and vegetables and nuts?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

how will i know i'm at 80/10/10 if i don't count my calories?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Errr so explain how I became a morbidly obese 333 pound Vegan?

Op I'm a Vegan been one for 15 years feel free to add me as a friend
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing some research on vegan diets so you get a sense of how to meet all your nutritional needs and to be sure that you like enough foods to be able to meet those needs and have enough variety to stick to it long-term. You can be vegan and unhealthy just like you can eat any other kind of diet and be unhealthy. There are some vegan groups on MFP who would probably be a great resource.

^This. You need to do a TON of research. Also, I would recommend reading the experiences of Lierre Kieth and Denise Minger. They were vegans for a long time and their health experiences are very relevant. You don't really give the impression that you know what you are doing. I think that it might be possible to be healthy and vegan (short term, long term?), but the effort and knowledge required is a lot.

If you are going vegan for any reason other than religion, it's not a very logical choice. Imo (and that of some former vegans), it is not a healthier diet for the long term and it's not even any more "ethical" than any other lifestyle. Recent research on plants is highly suggestive that they, as with all living things, are sentient. They certainly have awareness, ability to communicate, and complex behaviours/life strategies. Plus the agricultural practices of farming without animals is very detrimental to the environment (research "nutrient cycle").

Just my opinion; take it or leave it.
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want to know which late night snacks are vegan, PETA has a web page called "Accidentally Vegan" that lists all the junk food you could want. (My favorite: Ritz crackers. Can't leave them alone. And then there are Oreos. And beer.) For healthy vegan snacks, I've been eating edamame, toast with guacamole and tomatoes, or peanut butter & jelly sammies.

And ignore the haters, and the well-intentioned naysayers. Rock on, veggie!
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think going vegan will be very difficult unless you have an ethical reason behind it. In the short term, why don't you start slowly. Like maybe eat one vegan meal a day while you are learning or slowly eliminate eggs, then cheese, then milk, etc. It is a completely different way of cooking and can be very unhealthy if you don't plan ahead.

I like Diet For A New America, Forks Over Knives Cookbook, The China Study, and Main Street Vegan. There are so many great books its hard to remember them all, but those are some I have on my shelf.

I should probably mention I'm a vegetarian, not vegan because it can be very difficult if you don't plan. I try to eat vegan at home but the quick fall back is always pizza. I would LOVE to be vegan, but every time I try, I end up eating crap. Just be careful about nutrition and do what is sustainable for you.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Tie them down first
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    MFP endorses doing so part time.
  • olehana
    olehana Posts: 7
    Options
    Read Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (it is INCREDIBLE) and get a really amazing vegan cook book (/or follow a few vegan blogs) and you will be absolutely joyous to grab a gorgeous vegan burrito, a slice of blueberry pie with coconut ice-cream, or a baguette with any kind of soup or stew you can imagine.

For me personally, being equally parts enraged / ideologically inspired and totally excited to eat the vegan food I had around is what has made it possible. If you have a fridge & cabinets filled with delicious stuff you CAN eat (and not just salads and steamed kale, but pizza, ice(coconut)cream, soy milk and cereal, vegetable-fat pie crust pies, vegan muffins, veggie burritos, etc.) its much better than feeling like you're limited or restricted in some way.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Start by not eating animal based products, you are welcome :D
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Grab vegan.
    Bite vegan.