How can I lose weight on waist better?

Options
I weighed 163 one point in my life and wore a 12/14. Now I weigh 152 and wear a size 16. No kidding. I had a baby a year ago though so that was the change. But do you know of any exercises that are best to help lose weight on my waist????? I've been doing running in place and some ab workouts.

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Cardio and general weight loss. Your body is going to behave differently after having a baby. There's no such thing as targeted exercise in terms of fat loss. You could work on strengthening your abs to encourage them to return to their original (pre-baby) positions.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Yes eat in a deficit to lose fat. You cannot target a specific area. Do whatever workouts you can that you love and continue to eat at your calorie deficit and it will come off.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I had a baby a year ago and my body composition totally changed, so I know where you're coming from. Even though I'm below my pre-pregnancy weight, my tummy is a lot bigger. However, you cannot spot reduce. Keep eating at a deficit and keep strength training. Also look into LIFTING HEAVY. I cannot recommend this enough. You will burn fat while preserving muscle giving you a more fit look. Read New Rules of Lifting for Women or check out Stronglifts 5x5. Eating at a deficit and lifting heavy will ultimately get you to your goal.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I had a baby a year ago and my body composition totally changed, so I know where you're coming from. Even though I'm below my pre-pregnancy weight, my tummy is a lot bigger. However, you cannot spot reduce. Keep eating at a deficit and keep strength training. Also look into LIFTING HEAVY. I cannot recommend this enough. You will burn fat while preserving muscle giving you a more fit look. Read New Rules of Lifting for Women or check out Stronglifts 5x5. Eating at a deficit and lifting heavy will ultimately get you to your goal.

^This!

I had my second baby May 16th of last year. Weightlifting and a moderate deficit, good amount of protein (typically 1g per pound of lean body mass ) and patience!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Cardio, cardio, cardio. Cut back your carbs, lots of water, lots of veggies. Add some strength training, muscle burns more calories than fat! And then follow that up with some more cardio!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Cardio, cardio, cardio. Cut back your carbs, lots of water, lots of veggies. Add some strength training, muscle burns more calories than fat! And then follow that up with some more cardio!

Boo cardio. Yay ice cream!
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

No, no, and NO. You do not need cardio and carbs are not bad for you. Sure, lots of water is necessary and veggies are healthy, but If you follow this advice you will be just smaller than you are now, but with the same bigger waist.

Look up your TDEE. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    Subtract 20% for a moderate deficit. Set your macros so they are more proportionate, maybe something like 40 carb/30 fat/30 protein. Eat that and stay within your macros, simple as that.

Or use MFP calorie suggestions, but make sure you goals are reasonable.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

But you do not need cardio to lose weight or look fit. Heavy lifting is what will burn fat, enhance your muscle definition, and with enough weight loss it will slim your waist. You can lose inches off your body but still weigh the same or only lose a few lbs. Cardio only burns calories which allows you to eat more. Do lots of cardio and you'll look like this

4a6fe469874f4c187dac172821c6a0ecb825febce22e8583e29dd3b7e2877d11.jpg

ETA: I made it sound like cardio is the devil. I still do cardio because it's healthy for your heart and I enjoy certain activities. Not because my fitness goal depends on it.
  • dawnmitchell6766
    dawnmitchell6766 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I weighed 163 one point in my life and wore a 12/14. Now I weigh 152 and wear a size 16. No kidding. I had a baby a year ago though so that was the change. But do you know of any exercises that are best to help lose weight on my waist????? I've been doing running in place and some ab workouts.

After my 3rd child i read the book the mummy tummy - good at explainjng what pregnancy does to your abs. Lots of good tightening exercises you can do while driving or sitting at your desk. Be patient and stick with it it wcan get beyter but you have to work at it. Keep eating at a deficit.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Cardio only burns calories which allows you to eat more. Do lots of cardio and you'll look like this

4a6fe469874f4c187dac172821c6a0ecb825febce22e8583e29dd3b7e2877d11.jpg

ETA: I made it sound like cardio is the devil. I still do cardio because it's healthy for your heart and I enjoy certain activities. Not because my fitness goal depends on it.

That picture is extreme, i have a friend that runs a lot of marathons and looks nothing like that. i also do mainly cardio exercise and have had good results, also look nothing like that guy.
    Cardio only burns calories which allows you to eat more
    Only burns calories? is burning calories and creating a caloric deficit not how you lose fat? which is most peoples goal on this website.