Treadmill Vertigo?

jgkimo
jgkimo Posts: 61
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I get vertigo when running on a treadmill; not while running outside. Which I had something FIERCE yesterday. I couldn't even walk on the treadmill without hanging on. Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea how to fix it?

Replies

• watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Must be something about you moving, but your surroundings staying in place.. Kind of like in reverse of car sickness, where your surrounding are moving, but you are just sitting there.. I know for car sickness the answer is to only look in front of you.. Never to the side or down. Whatever it is, though, it sounds pretty dangerous for you to be on a treadmill until you get it figured out though. Be carefull.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    I'd make an appointment with your doctor to see if you have something going on in your ear(s). I don't get vertigo on the treadmill, but do when swimming front crawl--seems to be the side to side motion of my head to breathe. I can breast stroke, back stroke, side stroke, etc., no problem. They did find I have some chronic inner ear inflammation without an infection.
  • Vertigo can be caused by several reasons including a medical issues. Key thing for a non medical issue is to focus on something farther away and not something in front of you. A big tree across the street or something like that. Do headaches accompany the vertigo? If so that's a key indicator that you are focusing on something too close and your eyes are having a hard time adjusting to the focus change caused by the movement.
  • nlhr2011
    nlhr2011 Posts: 12 Member
    I get it bad, so bad I don't walk or run on treadmills I only walk/run on a track indoors or outside. When I get off the tredmill everything is spinning so fast and I can't even walk I have to give myself a minute to re group. It is from moving so quickly and everything else around you is staying still. If you figure out how to fix it let me know.
  • 35again
    35again Posts: 46 Member
    I can use a regular treadmill fine most of the time unless my vertigo is really bad. However, the ones at the gym that have the TV screen attached to them, big no-no for me. As someone else said, find a point/area to focus on, that usually helps me.
This discussion has been closed.