Water weight?

Options
How much water weight does the average person lose? The scale claims that I've lost about 5 pounds in ONE WEEK......I have just started on my fitness journey so I'm thinking that might be it. Any ideas? If it is water weight, how many weeks of weight loss is attributed to that? Thanks!!!

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    That's not uncommon at all, and it probably is mostly water weight. If you keep your sodium levels in a healthy range, you shouldn't retain much water going forward so most of the weight you lose will be real weight loss. In the meantime, congratulations on that 5 pounds your body doesn't have to carry around anymore!
  • Sherry1979
    Options
    If you have been drinking lots of water and taking in less sodium (which you probably have just by eating healthier foods) then along with you the weight that you would lose just from cutting calories, that sounds about right. I always lose more the 1st couple weeks and then it usually tapers off to about 1 -2 lbs per week. Hope this helps, I'm no expert at any of this for sure, just speaking from my own experience! Awesome job on the 5 lbs already, btw!!! :smile:
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    Options
    I know for me water loss was a big part of initial weight loss. I also found out that my body seems to like to retain water all the time. Worse during hot weather. Also depending on the amout of sodium I take in. Had chinese for my Birthday this year and gained 4 lbs over night. But initially water does play a huge part of a large weight loss when a person starts on this type of journey. Best of luck to you and welcome to MFP.
  • Darkling
    Options
    Keep in mind that kind of weight can get put back just as quickly. Dont panic. If you're sure you doing the right things for yourself, take the tape measure to yourself instead. Or like me, try putting on the size 40 jeans that used to be tight and marvel at the extra room.