Diet soda, yay or nay

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I drink the occasional Dr Pepper 10, but mostly I drink Mio-like drinks.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Nay--no reason to put chemicals in my body. And for me....diet drinks...Splenda and AS in general cause me to crave food. Good ole water.
    Like, say, the chemical H2O?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    in terms of weight control, because diet sodas have 0 calories they do not add to your daily caloric intake, obviously. They may be a welcome variety from water. The claim that they make you gain weight is due to the fact that they are high in added sugar. Sugar makes you crave more sugar. So it is normal for people to consume a diet soda and then want to snack on a non-diet bag of chips. Oftentimes people sees this effect as "I'm craving chips, I must be hungry, therefore I must fulfill the craving". If you can recognize what is happening in that your body is just on a sugar high and doesn't want to come down, then you can resist the craving for more sugar.

There's no sugar in diet soda.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    If it is caffeinated, it's a nay because of my sensitivity to caffeine, which gets me all jittery and also makes me retain water. Otherwise it's a yay. LOVE my Zevia.
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Way nay - after having a tumor removed from my kidney and being a die hard Diet Coke drinker for many years, I can't help but to think that they are related.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Diet cherry dr. Pepper for lyfe
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I drink it occasionally, I prefer a regular soda. I usually use them as mixers with booze.
  • nicolemtracy
    nicolemtracy Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Nay. If I want a soda, I may as well get one that's not diet, just a small one. Everything in moderation. But I'm becoming more and more of a water fan anyway. Maybe I'll start adding lemons and limes to my water to spice things up a little. :)
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    20827655.jpg
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Nay
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    in terms of weight control, because diet sodas have 0 calories they do not add to your daily caloric intake, obviously. They may be a welcome variety from water. The claim that they make you gain weight is due to the fact that they are high in added sugar. Sugar makes you crave more sugar. So it is normal for people to consume a diet soda and then want to snack on a non-diet bag of chips. Oftentimes people sees this effect as "I'm craving chips, I must be hungry, therefore I must fulfill the craving". If you can recognize what is happening in that your body is just on a sugar high and doesn't want to come down, then you can resist the craving for more sugar.
    I think you made an error in your post. Diet sodas have no sugar and no calories, therefore they are not something that can add to weight gain.
  • WaKay
    WaKay Posts: 314
    Options
    NAY!!
  • pamelas9
    pamelas9 Posts: 29
    Options
    Nay, I'm trying to move away from processed foods - starting with soda, precisely because I hate the empty calories. I find that diet soda just makes me want real soda more, so I just drink water. After a few days without soda the water start to taste good again.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Nay--no reason to put chemicals in my body. And for me....diet drinks...Splenda and AS in general cause me to crave food. Good ole water.
    Like, say, the chemical H2O?

So much yay!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Like to me it's nay. It has artifial sweetners and colors. And could make you gain weight in the long run. So wats your opinion on it. Yeah or nay.

What is between yay and nay? Meh? Yeah I'd go with meh. I don't think diet soda is good for a diet but I don't think its bad either. If you enjoy having a soda and don't have the calories to spare in a drink then diet soda probably a good way to go.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Like to me it's nay. It has artifial sweetners and colors. And could make you gain weight in the long run. So wats your opinion on it. Yeah or nay.

How could it make you gain weight in the long run?

I prefer Coke Zero to the normal.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Yay for diet Dr. Thunder, nothing that comes in a bottle tastes as good. I just cut way down this last year, but will not give it up. I drink a lot more water, but face it, water is BORING.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Yay - cherry coke zero. Still consume more water & plain iced tea.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If it is caffeinated, it's a nay because of my sensitivity to caffeine, which gets me all jittery and also makes me retain water. Otherwise it's a yay. LOVE my Zevia.

Doesn't have to be - what about diet root beer or diet ginger ale?

For me it's usually a yay. Tastes better than water, caffeine perks me up some and I suffer no ill effects no matter how late at night I have it, and as a bonus, the carbonation kills my hunger pangs for an hour or so (or until I have to burp :laugh:).

It's a nay on a completely empty stomach. Like citrus juices, it gives me a sour tummy. Nothing a few Saltines won't fix, but still. I hate feeling nauseated.
  • kayleighfurfie
    Options
    Yay!

Everything in moderation!

I think if you like something and completely cut it out of your diet, you're more likely to gorge on it later on.

I have a Coke Zero once every few weeks, just for a bit of variety, but water is my drink of choice.