Chocolate Cupcakes for 155 Calories

Options
oedipa_maas
oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
I love these things. They are moist, light, and delicious. The recipe is also vegan! I'm not vegan, and was unfairly prejudiced against vegan recipes as I thought of all the sad, spongey tofu out there. But no longer. I have seen the light!

INGREDIENTS

Makes 12 cupcakes

1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.

Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).

Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.

If you want, top with vegan icing. Which I don't have a recipe for, since I never do it. A little puff of sweet cocoa is nice on the top.

Nutrition Info:

Calories 155
Total Fat 7 g 11 %
Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
Monounsaturated Fat 4 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
Sodium 155 mg 6 %
Potassium 78 mg 2 %
Total Carbohydrate 22 g 7 %
Dietary Fiber 1 g 4 %
Sugars 13 g
Protein 2 g 4 %

These are adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Will Take Over the World, So Hide Your Children. Okay not that last part.

Replies

• 867Jen5309
    867Jen5309 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! Thanks for sharing!!
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    bump to try later.

Thank you!!!
    Finally a "low-cal" dessert without artificial sweeteners!
  • iamworthy14
    iamworthy14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Anyone think almond milk would work???
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Um those look awesome. Guess I'm baking this afternoon. I think I'm going to be lame and use whole wheat flour... but I'll frost them to make up for it.
  • Lwillis1234
    Lwillis1234 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    Anyone think almond milk would work???

I wondered about that, since I love the stuff. It looks like it can curdle, which is what we want.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    So, for those who are not vegan, I'm not sure why you would choose to mix soy milk and vinegar to curdle rather than just using an equal volume of low-fat buttermilk? It would taste better - no risk of a soy aftertaste - and should be slightly less calories.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    So, for those who are not vegan, I'm not sure why you would choose to mix soy milk and vinegar to curdle rather than just using an equal volume of low-fat buttermilk? It would taste better - no risk of a soy aftertaste - and should be slightly less calories.

Great idea buttermilk or sour cream makes cakes really moist.
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    Give it a try, sure! Sounds just as yummy.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I plan on using buttermilk... because that's what I have.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Made this yesterday but I had to substitute the soy milk for 2%, and the canola oil for veggie oil bc its what I had in the house and I ran out of flour just below the 1 cup mark. Made it anyway and it turned out yummy. Very moist, and chocolaty. Prob not as low calorie as yours but still yummy in moderation. Thanks for the idea. Next time I will try using the recipe items. I just didn't feel like going to the store last night lol.. Thanks!