Cheat days - do you or don't you?

Options
13»

Replies

• zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days, at least not the way they're usually defined. I'm one of those who tries to fit what I want into my tracking goals. For me, the term "cheat" doesn't feel right and doesn't promote the eating behavior I want to have in my life going forward. It feels kind of like failure. That's just me, of course. It just depends on what "cheat" means to you.

So terminology aside, I do have days that I eat at or slightly above maintenance because it's special social occasion. I know they're coming, I try to make reasonable choices, but I don't sweat it if I end up a bit over. It will work out over the course of the week. I also give myself "re-feed" days if I'm starting to feel run down. That just means eating at maintenance again, not going all out or not logging. Those are the exception days. For all other days if I want something as a treat I make room for it with exercise and by being especially careful with what I eat the rest of that day. With this approach there's nothing I can't eat, it's all up to me to budget for it. So there's no feeling of resentment or deprivation, and no need to "cheat."

Edited for spelling
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I cheat every day. :bigsmile: But especially today...:blushing:
  • Lynda274
    Lynda274 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a blow-out day about once a week-don't really like calling it a cheat day, but what every you call it it's amazing!! I had Macdonalds, pizza, chocolate and beers all on one day last week end and 4307 cals later I was feeling very full! The fact I used to eat like that 4/5 days a week makes only doing once a week totally ok by me!
  • StacyPhillipsTSFLcoach
    Options
    I do, but I have found that my "cheat days" indulgence simply consist of a glass of red wine and a piece of dark chocolate, not exactly a splurge LOL. But it IS a treat for me, and it satisfies me. I used to indulge about once a month when I was losing the 154 pounds that I wanted to lose, and now that I have been in maintenance for some time I do it about once a week.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    I never have days in which I allow myself to overindulge in anything and everything. If I want to eat something, that's fine. I will just have to log it later. If I don't want to log it and have to face that for the rest of the day, then I won't eat it. If I have room for it, I'll eat it. If I don't, I won't. If it's something I really want, I'll have it. It's better to give in to a small temptation once in a while than to go and eat enough for an entire week just because you've restricted yourself too much. I do not restrict myself with anything. I just have to face it in my log later :wink:
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I cheat every day. :bigsmile: But especially today...:blushing:

I think we were talking about . . . food? :blushing:
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Once a week I have a splurge dinner.... Tonight is that night and i am having the mother of all splurges! loads of pizza, drinks, icecream. Ive never splurged to this amount before lol.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Really guys, not a dog? That's a little harsh. People enjoy food too...

Perfectly said.
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have cheat days, but nothing like a binge day. I still keep in consideration the general amount of calories. I won't eat a whole pizza or a pint of ice cream but I might have a slice or two or a few drinks and I don't log but I also try and keep my health in mind.
  • caitology
    caitology Posts: 50
    Options
    I don't have a planned weekly cheat day. If there is a special occasion or family gathering, I will allow myself to eat over though.
  • klinger6395
    klinger6395 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you do. Great. If you don't. Great.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    The cheat meal for me is about foods I cannot normally fit into my macros/calories. One meal a week to enjoy the foods I love KEEPS me on the healthier path. Just giving up the junk food ( yes i do snacking in moderation normally in the week) would probably derail my attempts at a healthier lifestyle.

Had i not had my splurge night I probably would not of made it nearly a year now. <3 food