kettlebell weights

Options
2»

Replies

• derik999
    derik999 Posts: 73
    Options
    Find a local RKC certified instructor if you haven't already done so. I wouldn't trust the average PT with teaching you a skill like that. Improper use of KB's can lead to injuries.
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 classes so far and I enjoy using the kettlebells although I'm wondering what it would be like with a different instructor. I'm learning some basic moves but also a few moves like the woodchopper that I think is a little advanced. I am careful with using nothing too heavy for me and also knowing when to move it up. Sometimes I feel we move on to the next move too early. I want to do more reps at times instead of moving on to the next one. I will definitely keep up with my weights. I've ordered a kettlebell workout book.
  • librarydebster
    Options
    Thanks for the fb swings recommendation. I will check it out.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    This was my first ever kettlebell workout
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/Beginner-Kettlebell-Workout-Kells-Kettlebells-Routine/a7/

fitness blender has a few on there
  • librarydebster
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on fitness blender!
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I would advise getting a few lessons from a proper kettlebells instructor first as I think you could get injured if you swing incorrectly. I started with an 8 kg Kettlebell and now use 8-10kg or up to 14kg increasing the weights for pyramids. Look for Girevoy sport instructors as they teach competition kettlebells. I absolutely love using kettlebells - I have one at home and use it for a 20 min workout if I am stuck at home with the kids. I do it in the garden using my window as a mirror to check form. I have seen those adverts for the kettle*o*ks DVDs but in my opinion the weights they use are too light to be effective. The lowest weight my instructor would give a female beginner would be 4kg (10lb?) but most start on 6kg.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,573 Member
    Options
    Wow, can you actually do anything with 4kg kettlebells? I'm not very strong but I feel that 8kg is about the lowest I should be using, for swings as the swing otherwise is lacking control.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Wow, can you actually do anything with 4kg kettlebells? I'm not very strong but I feel that 8kg is about the lowest I should be using, for swings as the swing otherwise is lacking control.

I started with a 5kg and at first i found it heavy for doing the fitness blender beginner workout. But I guess doing it this way helped me learn what to do without get myself hurt. I use a 8kg and 12kg bell but do need to buy new ones soon.