Confused working out calories :(

Options
Just been onto scooby calculator and I have 2 different results one for days that I'm not exercising and another for days I do. Is that the right way to do it? So for example 1498 kcal on a day that I don't workout but the next day I will and then need to change calories to 1716. Has anyone else done this?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Just been onto scooby calculator and I have 2 different results one for days that I'm not exercising and another for days I do. Is that the right way to do it? So for example 1498 kcal on a day that I don't workout but the next day I will and then need to change calories to 1716. Has anyone else done this?

Yesterday my goal was 4,262 and today my calorie goal is 2,500. It varies from day to day depending on my demands and how much I exercise. This is perfectly normal.
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    that is normal, I try to figure out what I will need for a week including exercise and divide that by 7 so that is is roughly the same everyday.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

You should just eat the same every day if you're using the TDEE method.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    There are two different thoughts:
    1. MFP method: this is essentially what you got with your two calculations with whether you workout or not. MFP gives you a goal and adds to that if you exercise. Your net calorie goal stays the same, but your total goal for intake will be higher (eat back your exercise calories, or at least a portion of them). I think this approach is best when your exercise routine is variable.
    2. TDEE-20%: This is what others were talking about with doing the math for a week and dividing by 7 so that you eat the same every day. There are tons of links to calculators if you search the forums for TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and you multiply that number by .8 and that's your calorie goal. Whether you exercise that day or it's a rest day, you eat the same (no eating back exercise calories). Your deficit will be more or less based on whether or not you worked out, but you should end up with a similar deficit for the week as you would using the MFP method. I believe this works best if you have a stable workout routine.

Hope that helps. Some people find it easier to just have the same goal all the time and to get to eat a little more on rest days. Others seem to have better luck with the variability because it's true to what you did that day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

You should just eat the same every day if you're using the TDEE method.

This!^

TDEE averages everything out. That way it's not the up/down that makes some people crazy.