Does cooked pasta change macros?

Options
Does pasta double in weight after being cooked?

1 serving of dry Rotini is 2oz = 210 cals, 1g fat, 42g carbs, 7g protein

I ate 6 ounces of it cooked. So would that be equivalent to eating 1.5 servings? Just curious

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you put 2 oz in the pot - then whatever weight it ended up being at the end is still one serving. Water doesn't add calories.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    How much it changes in weight depends on the type of pasta, how long you cook it for etc so its not an easy assumption to make.

So either weigh out a single portion dry, log those calories & macros and eat it all

If cooking pasta for a lot of people, then weigh it all dry then weigh it all cooked to get the conversion back to its dry weight for logging calories
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    You would have to experiment with how absorbing water changes the weight of the pasta. I always weigh it dry, or in a pinch I choose an entry in the database that specifies that the food is cooked. Cooking pasta al dente vs well done (in theory) can have different weights. Cooking either takes away moisture or adds moisture. This affects your weight which is why weighing your foods in its raw state or based on the packaging mode is prefered.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    Does pasta double in weight after being cooked?

1 serving of dry Rotini is 2oz = 210 cals, 1g fat, 42g carbs, 7g protein

I ate 6 ounces of it cooked. So would that be equivalent to eating 1.5 servings? Just curious

2 oz is typically 1 cup cooked pasta. So at 6 oz, you ate 3/4 of a serving.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    If you want an easy conversion reference, depending on type of pasta:

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/cooking-tips/foodbasics/pastaguide/pasta-measuring-chart.aspx
  • bryann9182
    bryann9182 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys (and gals) . Appreciate the responses