Where can I get Fitted Running Shoes

fullagrace
fullagrace Posts: 75
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I started running (well walking and jogging a bit C25k) 2.5 weeks ago and starting this week my knees have hurt really bad. They are now hurting even when I am not exercising. I am going to start stretching more, but I have also heard that it could be my shoes.

I got my shoes at wal-mart. Dr. Schold's running shoes. They are very comfortable and were cheap (only$20) but I am willing to spend more if it will end this pain!!!

What website should I use to find a place where they will fit me for shoes?

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Idk about where to get shoes but I'm prone to knee soreness and I always try to elevate my legs for about 10 -20 min after I run (with ice on occasion) and that has kept it at bay.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Check out Fleet Feet and Luke's Locker, both should be able to do foot scans etc. and have knowledgeable staff that can look at your gait and stride to make recommendations. Congrats on you commitment to running :drinker:
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    You can also google your geographic area for running shoes, or if you belong to a gym, ask a trainer where they get their running shoes. Mine not only recommended places, but gave me coupons for 10% off.
  • Try to find a running store in your area. It was a little expensive but they really took their time and found the right shoe for me (had me running on a small track that runs inside their store too lol).
  • RodgerBuckley
    RodgerBuckley Posts: 48 Member
    My wife loves running, and she has Arthritis in her knees (and other joints), but one more than the other. I bought her one of those elasticated bandage things that goes over the knee - I think it's called a Support Bandage - and she tells me it's excellent.

On the other hand, my eldest Son started some serious running and ended up getting shin splints. He'd spent a lot of money on running shoes, but didn't realise that there are different types of running shoes depending on what you want to do and how you run. There are shops in the UK which will put you on a treadmill and a computer analyses the way you run. They then suggest particular running shoes to suit your running style based on the result. It might not be perfect, but any reduction in stress on the joints is bound to have a positive effect.

When I run (which isn't often), I tend to lengthen my stride, and take it steady so that I don't pound the joints as much. It not only helps me to carry on running for longer, but also my knees don't hurt when I've finished. I do get reasonably expensive running shoes, but nothing too fancy - I go for fit and comfort, but they are always Running shoes and not generic trainers.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    foot locker. sports authority?

http://www.runnersworld.com/store/search/1,7978,s6-240-417-0-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

i've used this store finder search on runners world. find a store in your area

recently changing my insoles (back to factor for women) in my sneakers help with the shin pain on the treadmill. i love asics sneakers too.
  • Thanks everyone. I am going to go to a fleet feet after work.

It says they do fittings :)

I think it will be worth the extra money if my knees quit hurting :)
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Thanks everyone. I am going to go to a fleet feet after work.

It says they do fittings :)

I think it will be worth the extra money if my knees quit hurting :)

Perfect! Getting the RIGHT running shoes for you is absolutely the right call. Take your time and be sure they are really checking out your gait in all the different shoes.

And remember that there is a lot to running mechanics (how to run). Go to www.runnersworld.com and check it out. Shortening your stride (for a faster turnover) can dramatically lessen the impact on your joints. At that website you can find an abundance of technical running advice that should really help you avoid injury, including a "runner's workout" that will help you avoid running-related injuries as well.

Enjoy! And remember that your running shoes need to be replaced every 400 to 500 miles (more often for some of us). Once you get your shoes from the running store, you can search for them online and (especially when your now new shoes are "last year's model") and find them cheaper. I keep two "fresh" pairs and rotate them so they are equally broken in and so that each pair lasts twice as long (in time, not miles). :)
This discussion has been closed.